U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,622 times

Advertisements

im 22 years old female and had my first attack last may not knowing what it was i had horrible pain in my abdomen area and my entire back, i couldnt eat or drink and threw up when i tried it was also my birthday and was out with friends all day it was so bad, later that night it went away so i figured just a stomach bug.i knew something was wrong in august when i started having this pain again and got worse thru time. i tried to eat and the pain was so bad i went to the er. they did ultra sound and determined it was pancreatitis. they addmitted me for 5 days. no food or drink and ivs and lots of pain meds dilaudid and morphine it bareley masked the pain.they tried to say that it was from alcohol but that it is very rare.i have been drinking since a teenager.i continued to drink after my attack and have been addmitted 3 times the most 6 days.my i just got out 2 weeks ago and have not had a single drink and have been eating very healthy, i still have pains that come and go.it is shameful that i was still drinking but it is so hard when everyone around me drinks and i enjoyed doing it i was the life of the party, everybody is so supportave and dont want to lose me, i just found out that i have permanent scarring on my pancreas.really scared me.now i hang out when everyone is having beers during a game or concert or wine with dinner or movie im having trouble accepting that im only 22 and shouldnt drink ever again.i am proud of myself for going two weeks even and have more energy.i have had several attacks beyond the hospital but went to a docter instead to check my lipase and get pain meds that and not eating is the only thing that helps.almost every blood draw from my docter was normal but im still having pain. i dont know why this is but its so frustrating,i havent been able to work because of how i feel a lot of the time.this is horrible for all of us but it is nice to know there is others out theere like me i felt that i was alone.what kind of doctor should i see?a pain specailist?i dont want to get addicted to pain meds and am not but it helps.i have been taking tramadol which is not considered a narcotic and does help.what should i do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,325 times
I'm in my 40s and had a serious 6-9 months of constant attacks until they finally put stints in the pancreas that drained built up fluid from the pancreas into my stomach. 7 months later they took them out. Its been two years and so far so good but I have to watch the alcohol intake and I'm always afraid the next attack will be the end of me. Nobody can handle that kind of pain for along time.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 995 times
i am laying in the hospital bed as i type this with pancreatitus. i am 20 years old btw. please excuse me if i misspell anything i just got my pain meds. they dont know the cause of mine either. i dont drink that often maybe every now and then but anyway i came to the hospital last thursday and the pain was sooo bad i couldnt breath without it hurting. enzymes were up in the 4000's, i went the whole time without eating or drinking anything until the last day i was put on soft foods and i was fine, well they discharged me yesterday morning and told me to watch what i ate and to take it easy for the next 2 weeks well i ended up back here lastnight and they told me my enzymes were up in the 500's but i didnt do anything but sleep after i got home from the hospital... i ate part of a subway sandwich it only had white bread and cheese and grilled chicken and i had one little sip of a red powerade which they said i could eat/drink that. i just wish they would find what caused it because im terrified and i just wanna go home.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 569 times
Default 21 with possible pancreatitis?

Hi I came upon this forum googling about pancreatitis questions I have. I am really uninformed about it as I am not even 100% sure I have pancreatitis or something else all together.

I am 21 years old, I just recently graduated college. I have had gallbladder attacks all my life and just recently found out that I had "a lot of gallstones" after an unreasonable amount of doubt by multiple doctors who kept telling me I had the flu. My last gallbladder attack put me in the ER and I had no choice but to get it removed.

My doctors after surgery (I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically) told me to go back to a normal lifestyle as I felt I was ready. After a week and a half I was back to work, still eating healthier foods but higher fats than originally. On a Thursday I had a slice of pizza and my normal meals (cereal for breakfast salad for dinner) and drank with my friends (I know now I am going to look really dumb for drinking so soon after surgery but I had a doctor who still tells me to drink 'as tolerated' and I had no idea what the consequences would be) --- side note I had a glass or two wine two times before this night of drinking and experienced no unusual pain and I am not a frequent heavy drinker, just occasional weekends and events as any college student.

30 minutes after drinking around 4 shots of vodka over the course of an hour and a half (yes, I know this may seem like a lot but I am a college student and this is a normal weekend drinking situation that has never affected me in the past) I experienced the worst pain of my life and had to check myself into the ER. After telling my doctors about the drinking they decided that the amount of alcohol I drank could not be causing the amount of pain I was in. After blood tests and a CT scan they found an abnormality and sent me back to my surgeon who had me hospitalized for two days with only fluids.

One doctor believed my pain was caused by an abnormality in the surgery site that ended up being fluid. Another doctor told me I was irresponsible for drinking that much alcohol so soon after surgery and told me I had gastritis, putting me on gastritis medication, and my surgeon still believes I have pancreatitis.

My lipase levels have been abnormal but nothing is definitive enough to declare I have pancreatitis. After tests we found out the abnormality was just regular fluid post surgery and that I did not have gastritis. My stomach still hurts (upper middle stomach with cramping to my back, feels like I can breathe) for about 5-10 minutes after I eat anything and randomly during the day. I have no answers from any doctor and I feel lost about what to do to manage my pain and to live a normal life. My surgeon wants me to have genetic testing because 2 family members have had their pancreas removed. I am not sure where to go from here and reading these posts make me feel like there are definitely other people who have solved this problem, any tips for someone who's just trying to get back to normal!?! I have never had this pain or any problems with alcohol before my surgery and am not sure if this is temporary or not.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:38 PM

29,065 posts, read 18,391,944 times
I had pancreatitis about 2 years after gall bladder removal.

After being told I was an alcoholic (I had been out with co-workers drinking at the first attack), and the surgeon telling me any exploratory surgery was a waste of time because it could not be anything else (99%), I insisted and they found a blocked bile duct.

AND I have had gastritis that feels like you want to die (was actually hospitalized).

You have to be persistent with your doctors as gastro stuff is super hard to diagnose. Pancreatitis normally has labs that reflect it, but you never know. Keep following up with your surgeon or gastro with status of symptoms. Not every month, but every week, or immediately if symptoms get worse.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-17-2017, 08:16 PM

997 posts, read 534,127 times
I don't know anything about it but I did have a friend who had it a number of times as a teenager.

I don't remember the details but he was in the hospital a few times.

He drank like a fish and that is what caused it but he must have had a genetic reason for it or something.

All I know is that he continued to drink prn for as long as I knew him which was for several years after any hospitalizations that I knew of.

I am sure his Dr.s told him to stop drinking and I seem to remember something about that but he didn't and he wouldn't. They said he was an alcoholic but I remember a time later on when we were together 24 hours a day and I don't remember him drinking except if we were drinking. It wasn't every day or all the time.

I am not saying that it's ok to drink because my friend did and he seemed ok, but that is all I know. I don't think he knew what the word moderation meant. Nobody else had pancreatitis but honestly he was famous for his extreme consumption and then we would go for a very scary drive.

I think it is the hard alcohol. Maybe stay away from that and just nurse a beer or something and see how that goes. The hard alcohol binge drinking might be 'normal' for college kids but that doesn't mean it is a good idea to pour undiluted alcohol on your pancreas.

I used to drink a lot when I was young but now I don't. I have seen a lot of alcoholism and it is tragic. It starts where you are right now. You know you can't handle it too much so that won't be you. That is the bright side.

Last edited by Veronicka; 02-17-2017 at 08:29 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 393 times
It really helps reading all of your stories. I was diagnosed with pancreatitis when i was 23 years old i was your average 23 yr old who drinks on the weekend didnt really watch what i ate i was an athlete so i held my weight pretty now i am about to be 30 this year and have been admitted to the hospital about 4 other times since then now i try and manage the pain at home with pain meds lots of water but no food for a few days and its terrible i try to manage the pain myself until i just cant stand it anymore just started creon digestive enzymes hopefully this will help with the pain but no talks of surgery or anything of that nature mine was caused by high triglycerides over the 2000 mark Hope everyone gets better !

Old 09-18-2018, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 393 times
It really helps reading all of your stories. I was diagnosed with pancreatitis when i was 23 years old i was your average 23 yr old 2 drinks on the weekend didnt really watch what i ate i was an athlete so i held my weight pretty well i have also been admitted to the hospital about 4 other times since then now i try and manage the pain at home with pain meds lots of water but no food for a few days and its terrible just started creon digestive enzymes hopefully this will help with the pain but no talks of surgery or anything of that nature mine was caused by high triglycerides over the 2000 mark Hope everyone gets better !

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 12 times
Hi, I am 20 and have recently had a stay in hospital due to acute pancreatitis. I do not drink therefore not alcohol induced and did not have any gallstones when I had an ultrasound scan. I left hospital after 2 days, I had a very reduced appetite which is very unlike me! My appetite has grown and have massively reduced the fat content in my food but am still getting slight pain. The pain does not seem to be triggered by food. Ive been out of hospital now for about 2 1/2 weeks and left with no pain at all and feeling myself and I can't help but think whats changed? I am really stuck and due to a lack of care by the doctors/nurses I was admitted 10days after my pain had started after visiting the doctors twice and calling an ambulance. Im not sure what it is but should the pain still be there even if it is reduced? Just wandering if anyone knows.

Old Today, 04:13 PM

20,510 posts, read 6,825,953 times
cogs1971: I believe we just went thru a long thread on this topic and I was looking for it but may be you need to do a search. Also do a search on Alternative Therapies and Pancreatitis and there are many to read up on. Also search in Alt Med for support info also. There are many ways to attack this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness