U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 02:11 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,513,009 times

Advertisements

Ohiogirl81 is right.

We became afraid of germs and insects when the corporations began to brainwash us. They want you to buy their soaps and pesticides. God forbid your animal ever has a flea or tick or an ant crawls into your kitchen. Kill them all. Kill all those little pests.

Kill the weeds on your lawn, the bugs in your trees. Get lots of shots. Give your pets lots of shots. And then when everyone of us dies of cancer, the doctors and drug companies get rich.

Woofers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 03:06 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,466,667 times
I am hearing that distancing ones-self too much from all germs is not healthy. Everyone needs to build up a resistance to germs, not eliminate them all !

I have a sign on my front door that says, " Come in relax,converse. Our house does not always look like this, sometimes it's even worse."

Old 10-29-2008, 05:15 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,539,506 times
We grew up with the phrase
"Ya gotta eat a peck of dirt before you die"
Most vaccines are small (or killed) amounts of what 'germaphobes' try to avoid.
Save money, boost your immune system against a much greater number of germs..........eat dirt.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:26 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,978,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Save money, boost your immune system against a much greater number of germs..........eat dirt.
Old Cold.....I like that about eating dirt. I read a study a while back about kids who were raised playing in dirt etc..and kids who were raised inside and the kids raised inside had higher amounts of asthma and autoimmune disorders when they got older.

They theorized that the kids that played in the dirt immune system's were exposed to staph and other natural pathogens when they were playing outdoors where as the kids raised inside when they got older their immune system's went into overdrive when exposed as their immune system's didn't recognize these pathogens as natural.

We're constantly exposed to staph in the quadrillions all over us from head to toe since we left our mothers womb at birth. I trust my life long immune system (T- Cells and Macrophage's) as good old soap and water has always been fine for me.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:36 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,851,560 times
I'm not a germaphobe. We wash our hands after using the bathroom, while cooking, and before eating. Of course, we wash our hands after gardening, changing diapers, and the like. Just the normal times. I really don't worry about it. As my grandmother says, everyone needs a peck of dirt. I also believe you've got to build your immune system somehow - just don't be stupid.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 PM

2,374 posts, read 5,238,930 times
I'm so sick of all the "germaphobes" out there. It seems you can't even buy regular soap that isn't full of antibacterials. Heck even most dish soaps have it now. I wash my hands after using the bathroom, after yardwork and after handling raw meat. I haven't died yet. My house is cleaned well 2 times a year/ winter and spring. I'm not even that anal about those 2 times, it all depends on how busy I am.

I live by the saying:

"Life is too short to spend every minute cleaning."

I stopped getting the flu shot every year and since then I haven't gotten sick all the time.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:54 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,929,451 times
You are right, it is hard to find the non-bacterial fighting soap. Just plain old soap!! I am not real anal either, grew up in a house full of animals when I was a kid. And I know I did not wash my hands before dinner always like mom nagged me to do. And I am still around.

Coincidence I have a relative who is a super neat freak who sterilizes everything in her home. And her kids are alway sick. We do not, just regular chore cleaning, and my kids are very healthy... I also do not drag them to the doctors if they have a sniffle either though. Unless I hear something going on in the lungs or a real bad cough we get through it with hot liquids and OTC stuff.

I do have to say though, the bugs going around seem to be a lot nastier than when we were little. (70s)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness