U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 07:53 AM

620 posts, read 1,750,711 times

Advertisements

We are having a serious acne problem with my oldest and it is affecting him a great deal. He has been seeing a dermatologist the for the last nine months. He has been put on various regimes over the course of the past months along with different antibiotics. He didn't even want to take senior pictures because of it! It is a outgoing kid but I notice soon as he has a serious break out, he "hides" in his shell. He will tell his friends he doesn't want to go out then and such.

We are down to one of our last alternatives and I just don't know what to do. He wants to be put on Accutane. I am not sure how I feel about this at all. Has anyone had direct experience with this?

Any suggestions would be great! Would you put your child ( 17) on this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 10:24 AM

3,191 posts, read 8,034,551 times
Hey raising! Well my DD was trying that stuff this last year. She said it got horribly worse, before it started getting a little better, and she just didn't like the way it wasn't helping as well as she hoped so.......She finally went back to using a prescription topical. I can't remember the name right this sec. But I think it was benzol peroxide .
This may sound silly, but has he ever tried that proactive stuff? DD used it back right out of high school, and seemed to get good results. I told her to try it again.

And has he tried using Dial soap, the old gold bar? I used it once upon a time and it seemed to help,

And has he ever been checked for food allergies? They can manifest themselve in so many ways...

Good luck to him. It is such a tough thing to go thruough. I understand how he feels.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:16 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,506,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
We are having a serious acne problem with my oldest and it is affecting him a great deal. He has been seeing a dermatologist the for the last nine months. He has been put on various regimes over the course of the past months along with different antibiotics. He didn't even want to take senior pictures because of it! It is a outgoing kid but I notice soon as he has a serious break out, he "hides" in his shell. He will tell his friends he doesn't want to go out then and such.

We are down to one of our last alternatives and I just don't know what to do. He wants to be put on Accutane. I am not sure how I feel about this at all. Has anyone had direct experience with this?

Any suggestions would be great! Would you put your child ( 17) on this?
Yes, if the acne was really bad and it would save him from serious scarring. I've seen adults with horrible acne scarring, and it literally, scars them for life.

Have you tried Retin A?

Old 10-29-2008, 01:54 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
How does he eat? Fix the diet first. Acne medications can cause violent feelings in teens.
Fix him nutritionally. Go to a higher end spa instead of a doctor and see what they say. Doctors love shoving you chock full of poison pills because its easier. They dont suggest dietary because most are not trained in it.

A simple healthy thing to do would be:
start taking vitamin c pills or that emergen-c vitamin drink.
nightly honey masks
nighly pillow case change

Just try that this week and it should start to help.
Do not use regular soaps on the face. They leave film and make breakouts worse.
Try some of the oil based cleansers they have released mixed with some dry lemon peel for a nightly wash.

My brother had to get chemicals...I didnt because i just did that and listened to my grandma.
He has wrinkles now and looks older than I do even though he is almost half a decade younger.
Everyone things I am 10 years younger than him.

I think over use of acne products promotes age and skin damage. You cant even be exposed to the sun after using some of those things. Warning right on the box!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM

658 posts, read 1,590,472 times
Google Acne.org or Dan's Kerns Regime, it's simple and effective method that uses 2% benzoyl peroxide, a mild cleanser like Cetaphil, and a non-comedogenic moisturizer without any clogging oils.

I've used this and found that it was the best way to prevent acne from recurring, and it's pretty simple and straightforward regimen to follow.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:19 PM

428 posts, read 1,486,784 times
Hi, I am a dermatologist. Since I can't see your son, I can't give you specific advice. I can tell you, if his acne is grade 4 (cystic) or even a bad grade 3 (inflammatory) he is not likely to respond to any of the dietary stuff (even if you could get a 17-year-old to follow a strict diet--ha!), and 2 or 5% benzoyl peroxide is useless.

If he has tried several different antibiotics without response, Accutane may be his best choice at this point. (There is a light treatment available as an alternate that you could ask your dermatologist about--sometimes it is combined with a topical drug called ALA.)

I have presecribed Accutane for over 25 years, and used properly, it is safe and extremely effective in young healthy people. The 8 months of different antibiotics were a good try, but further messing around with ineffective treatments, when a young person is suffering like your boy and possibly getting permanent scarring, is counterproductive.

Talk to the dermatologist, get all the details, and think it over carefully before you consider the Accutane. It is a potent drug with side effects, but those side effects are not often debilitating or serious. The doctor should see your son at least monthly, and blood work should be done monthly as well. The treatment usually goes for about 20 weeks.

Good luck.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:30 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,560,619 times
I am 31 and what I was told about 17 years ago was that food does not cause acne. We have always heard the rumors about chocolate and fried foods, etc. I haven't been to the dermo in many years, so the studies may have changed. He also said that no matter what, you are only masking the acne and that it will eventually heal on it's own over time. However, I am still waiting for that day seeing as I always seem to have a ton of blackheads!!! LOL

I probably didn't help, but it does make sense. It is a problem of gigantic embarrasment. I was there. The only thing for sure is to NOT try that Proactiv that you see on tv. It has pretty much the same ingredients as many OTC treatments at your local store.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 AM

620 posts, read 1,750,711 times
Thank you ALL so much for the replies! I know a couple of you have mentioned the proactive-Yes, we did that a couple years ago before he even started the dermatologist. I was disappointed when we did get it in the mail because I noticed there was more b.peroxide in Clearasil than in Proactive ( 2%). I thought paying that much money for a few times, would make it a little better but didn't thats why we headed to the dermatologist.

We have tried the cephasil,dial, I could go on and on with no luck. I do have to say my son does wash his face at lest 3 times a day and does EVERYTHING the doctor says to do.

Pitt~ I have never thought about the pillow case. I will have him try that.

Mozart~ Thank you for the doctor's advice!

Yesterday-we did go to the doctor. The doctor said he could tell my son had been doing everything right, but it just wasn't working. He has put him on yet another antibiotic, which my son was thrilled with because he had researched and thought possibly that might work. He gave him another topical also. I believe it is a lower dose/form of the Rentin A. The Rentin A was so damaging to his skin.

We will see what happens. I really am leery about using the Accutane, but probably will if that is the LAST resort.

Thanks again!

Old 10-30-2008, 05:28 PM

428 posts, read 1,486,784 times
You are welcome, and best of luck!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:38 PM

123 posts, read 439,591 times
Hi. I know as a teen it has to be hard to have this issue. I don't have acne but other issues that do effect my appearance and overall health. I do know I tend to withdrawl from people because of my insecurities which I think brings me down even lower from being lonely. It is a bad cycle. Granted I am older 30 so I don't know from the stand point of a teen. I would encourage you to have him get support on forums if they have then for teen acne suffers. There has to be I would think a forum like that. It also may help him feel less alone,get better coping skills,and figure out treatments that may have worked for others. As for diet I don't know but I know for my dermititis and dry eye I have been told healthy omegas can help. Also I wonder if food allergies could play any role. Like how some food can cause more inflammation in the body. Always follow your doctors advice just some thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness