Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:32 PM

926 posts, read 2,740,354 times

Advertisements

What is your preferred method and why?

I started out on the pill when I was 14 because it was free at the clinic and my parents didnt know I was having sex, switched to the patch in college and now that Im celibate I just got Mirena put in a few months ago to stop my menstrual cycle.

I didnt like the pill because it made me nasous if I didnt take it with food and since sometimes I skip meals, I would forget to take it. Or Id leave it at home and be gone all day. Weight gain wasnt a problem to me, I was one Allesse-23. Then I switched to the patch but that would sometimes come off randomly (its gross seeing it stuck to your panties or floating in the tub lol) Getting Mirena put in was probably one of the most painful experiences of my life lol I cramped for about 2 weeks, had one period and I have been fine (and period free!) for about 4 months now.

After reading the IUD horror stories on here, Im kind of scared having this in me and it possible imbedding in my cervix or getting in my abdomen so I may get it taken out next month during my annual and now Im looking at other options so I'd appreciate all comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 05:54 PM

11,370 posts, read 24,340,321 times
I used the Nuvaring when I was attending school at a big university. The clinic provided it for free. I didn't feel like I had any bad reactions with it, and it certainly was convenient.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:05 PM

13 posts, read 38,271 times
If you are celibate, do you need birth control? If you don't have a regular partner, maybe you could skip all the hormones, and use a barrier method (condoms) if you choose to have sex?

Old 11-02-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedMommy View Post
If you are celibate, do you need birth control? If you don't have a regular partner, maybe you could skip all the hormones, and use a barrier method (condoms) if you choose to have sex?
Im using birth control to stop having a menstrual cycle

Old 11-02-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I used the Nuvaring when I was attending school at a big university. The clinic provided it for free. I didn't feel like I had any bad reactions with it, and it certainly was convenient.
I didnt want anything I had to insert into myself lol. And my friend was having sex with her guy and when she got off of him....well I think you know where Im going with that lol

Old 11-02-2008, 09:21 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,332,882 times
I think IUD's are mostly for married women. If you have different sexual partners, like many women who are dating, then the chance that you can get a uterine infection is higher. I tried the Nuva-ring and I like it a lot. According to my DR it had the lowest dose of any hormonal birth control. I am just against hormones period, so it wasn't for me.

I also got the dates mixed up and I was afraid to get pregnant.

I currently have an IUD and have lots of pain and cramping, but Hey, I am not pregnant.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

I currently have an IUD and have lots of pain and cramping, but Hey, I am not pregnant.
How long have you had yours? I cramped for about a week or 2 then it stopped. And Ive been celibate almost 2 years now, im not planning on having sex again until Im married so my Dr wasnt concerened about the uterine infection but she did say its for people who have had atleast 1 child already but I don want kids ever so if this goes well then I guess every 5 years I will get it put in...although I do want to research what Essure? is.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:52 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,990,327 times
I use the Depo-Provera shot for period suppression. Although some people who get the shot have constant spotting instead of stopping. I however am not having my period. I didn't gain any weight either. Some doctors will only give it in 3-5 year stretches and then you have to take a break, since it is siad to leach calcium from your bones, but since I drink almost 3 gallons a week of milk and take vitamin d supplaments, I'm not that worried about bone calcium loss.

I wish I could get a doctor to take out my uterus and give it to someone who wants kids, but can't have them. It doesn't seem like that is an available option though.

My periods used to be just an inconvience but a couple of years ago they became very painful (don't want to get out of bed cramps) with severly heavy bleeding (1 box of Super Plus for a 3 day period, plus a backup pad for the leaks.) I've begged my gyno to take out my uterus (and leave the ovaries) to stop the pain and heavy bleeding, but he just looks at me and laughs, so I started Depo to stop my periods and have been sooo happy since.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:52 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,420,608 times
Usually, the IUD is reserved for women who've had children, but I'm sure there are exceptions. Apparently, your doctor thought you were an exception, as you have one. Or, am I making assumptions in thinking you don't have children? My apologies if so.

Anyway, if the IUD isn't causing you problems and your doctor thinks it's fine for you, then why take it out? Did it not generate the results you wanted? Also, do you plan on being celibate long-term? If not, then it really beats the other forms of B/C provided you've no worries for STDs. I have it and I like it a lot. No periods. But, I also have to take pills to regulate my hormones. I'm one of those in this forum who complained about it, but my doctor convinced me to try the pill on top of the IUD. Every single complaint I had attributed to the IUD evaporated in no time once I added in the hormones from the pill.

If you still want it out, then I'd consider depo provera. It helps you achieve your goal of 86ing the periods and you only have to think about it 4 times per year. A friend of mine loved it. I did too when I took it years ago.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post

I wish I could get a doctor to take out my uterus and give it to someone who wants kids, but can't have them. It doesn't seem like that is an available option though.
My friend had to get a hysterectomy at 26 because of a tumor and she asked our doctor if she could have mine (she was serious lol). I would have given it to her too because she wants to have kids SO bad, so you are not alone in wanting to donate your uterus lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness