U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:13 PM

217 posts, read 368,281 times

Advertisements

hi. i am a senior and was fairly in good health until 50. then everything went haywire.. lots of skin problems one right after the other and then developed fibromyalgia which is horrible and arthritis..i have skin problems on my feet, hard scaly aligator type soles, knees and elbos are very dry and patchy,also my head is bumpy with dry patches and worst of all my face.. it comes and goes but here lately its every day..i get patches of dry flaky skin on sides of nose, eyebrows and rashes also with dry patchy scaling flakes on face..its horrible.. i have been to a dermatologist a couple times and its not helping..forgot what he called it..i am back and forth with different things..i started using plain petroleum jelly and it worked for a while and goes away then the next day its out again. i can leave for work in morning and i'm fine, by lunch its terrible embarrassing flakiness on face..what is going on. i'm 62 now. also on my scalp, the doctor called it picking nodules..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,352,672 times
Try coconut oil food grade instead of the petrol jelly.
Soak in a bath of sea salts and rinse the water over your areas that you cant submerge (use 1-2 cups per whole warm(not hot) bath soak for 20 minutes.

Look at your diet..Can you clean it up anywhere?
Take fish oil capsules

Those are the easy and safe ones that will help your skin.
Also stay away from things with perfumes and dryer sheets.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:12 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,729,979 times
Have you tried changing laundry detergents, soaps, lotions, etc - anything that comes into contact with your skin?

Look for products that do not contain any enzymes, phosphates, chlorine, perfumes, dyes, petroleum products, or artificial ingredients. If you are near a Whole Foods, the body care person there can help you, but many of the more natural things you can use for cleaning your home and body can be found at any grocery store.

Many of the soaps we use these days on our bodies/clothes/etc have some pretty harsh things in them, and also active enzymes that can also aggravate people's skin causes serious allergic reactions. These ingredients are great for stains and making clothes look bright and fresh, but they are bad for our skin, bodies, water systems, lakes, streams, wildlife, earth...

I absolutely swear by Dr. Bronner's baby mild soap - diluted. It seems expensive, but you do dilute it quite a bit and a little bit goes a long way. Also once you use up your bottle - find a place that has it in bulk and refill your bottle. I do this with their large bottle and save $4.00 every time I do this. Very cool!

We use this soap for our hair, clothes, body, hands, even cleaning around the house. My husband used to have horrible problems with skin rashes and hives and very bad dandruff and itchy scalp and other allergies, but since we stopped using the "regular" soaps and detergents and chemical household cleaners, he hasn't had any problems. We use mostly baking soda, diluted white vinegar, and essential oils to clean our home. We use hydrogen peroxide or alcohol instead of chlorine bleach. We use a lot of lemon and orange essential oil as well, and tea tree oil or grapefruit seed extract for some things.

As for moisturizing, I second coconut oil... also almond oil or even just a good organic olive oil can work wonders. I've rubbed avocado on a sunburn once and it was amazing how fast it healed and how soothing it was! Of course pure aloe vera gel is amazing stuff, too.

I try to go with a "If I can't eat it, don't use it" sort of plan for home and body care. Your skin is the largest organ, isn't it? Anything you have on your skin will be absorbed into your body. Whatever you clean your house with, you are also ingesting. Seek out natural ingredients to use... and get rid of the stuff that has perfumes, dyes, preservatives, weird things you can't pronounce, and toxic ingredients in them.

Also - palm oil is something to try to stay away from. More for environmental reasons than anything else... you can google it and read up on it.

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2008, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 11,583 times
hey... i'm a competative swimmer and i get the same kind of problems from time to time..... i usually just use shea butter... it helps alot... plus stays on all day so.... hope that helps

Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,229,079 times
Welcome to the world of aging! Mama use to say "the only thing that DON'T hurt when you are old is the gray hair".

Someone needs to write a book so we will know what is simply the aging process or something more.

I have adopted my Mom's attitude about doctors now... Stay away from doctors unless you have a real problem and I am healthier and feeling better than I have in years. Avoid medications if possiable and avoid the side effect merry go round. The only medication she ever took on a semi regular basis was her BP meds.

I have friends that all they talk about all their doctor appointments and how many medications they are on.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:41 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,988,311 times
I agree that you may want to take a look at your diet and your environment first. Chemicals can really mess up our body and some of these things they put in everything these days are very toxic. You might be sensitive to a common one found in a lot of things.

If you are not against it, as some people are, I should seek out a local dowser and ask them to try to point you in the right direction for what might be the cause of it all. Thats just a radical idea if you fancy trying something different!

I dont think that age necessarily brings out the illnesses but then I am only 52 so I have a little way to go yet. I might be wrong!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,296 times
I heard about a body lotion from a Danish skin care company called Beaute Pacifique. Fortunately I do not have skin problems, but everyone I know who uses it are very pleased with the effect. Here is a product description:
[SIZE=2]Body lotion for Dry Skin - Description[/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Relief for dry skin. Even the driest skin can get help here. Contains a high dose of natural Squalane and Vitamin A to treat and relieve the severe dryness in conditions such as Psoriasis and Eczemas. Contains Licorice Extract to soothe and reduce the symptoms of sunburned and irritated skin. Clinically documented to elevate the moisture level by an average of 65% after just one month's use.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]You can buy it online in the US from Caneton Institute. Just do a google serach on that company and you'll find it. Good luck.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 02-19-2009, 04:13 PM

894 posts, read 3,893,597 times
I second the coconut and fish oils. Unrefined shea butter is great as well.

Also lots and lots of water. Exfoliate lightly if you can, it will take off the top layer of dead skin.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Look for products that do not contain any enzymes, phosphates, chlorine, perfumes, dyes, petroleum products, or artificial ingredients. If you are near a Whole Foods, the body care person there can help you, but many of the more natural things you can use for cleaning your home and body can be found at any grocery store.

Many of the soaps we use these days on our bodies/clothes/etc have some pretty harsh things in them, and also active enzymes that can also aggravate people's skin causes serious allergic reactions. These ingredients are great for stains and making clothes look bright and fresh, but they are bad for our skin, bodies, water systems, lakes, streams, wildlife, earth...

I
As for moisturizing, I second coconut oil... also almond oil or even just a good organic olive oil can work wonders. I've rubbed avocado on a sunburn once and it was amazing how fast it healed and how soothing it was! Of course pure aloe vera gel is amazing stuff, too.

I try to go with a "If I can't eat it, don't use it" sort of plan for home and body care. Your skin is the largest organ, isn't it? Anything you have on your skin will be absorbed into your body. Whatever you clean your house with, you are also ingesting. Seek out natural ingredients to use... and get rid of the stuff that has perfumes, dyes, preservatives, weird things you can't pronounce, and toxic ingredients in them.

Also - palm oil is something to try to stay away from. More for environmental reasons than anything else... you can google it and read up on it.

Good luck!

Bingo!

Old 02-19-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Try coconut oil food grade instead of the petrol jelly.
Soak in a bath of sea salts and rinse the water over your areas that you cant submerge (use 1-2 cups per whole warm(not hot) bath soak for 20 minutes.

Look at your diet..Can you clean it up anywhere?
Take fish oil capsules

Those are the easy and safe ones that will help your skin.
Also stay away from things with perfumes and dryer sheets.

Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness