U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:55 PM

6,005 posts, read 13,178,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post

How much effort is it to read a book on nutrition?
which book on nutrition does one read? there are tons of diet books out there, many w/ conflicting info. people may just end up reading which ever book they've heard the most about (the Atkins diet was more heavily marketed than the USDA's guideline for nutrition)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 10:24 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,512,989 times
Talking eevee..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
which book on nutrition does one read? there are tons of diet books out there, many w/ conflicting info. people may just end up reading which ever book they've heard the most about (the Atkins diet was more heavily marketed than the USDA's guideline for nutrition)
NUTRITION is a topic all its own; most diet books don't consider nutrition, they are usually based on a "fad" theme.... like high carbs/ high protein/ lots of cabbage/ lots of grapefruits/ counting calories/ blah-blah-blah Diets dont' work - sure, you can lose weight on any of those plans, but you can't keep it off unless you :

change your lifestyle based on good nutrition !

What is the definition of nutrition? (from the internet) "The process of nourishing or being nourished, especially the process by which a living organism assimilates food and uses it for growth and for replacement of tissues. The science or study that deals with food and nourishment, especially in humans. A source of nourishment; food. "

Learning about good nutrition will educate you regarding which fats are good and which fats are bad, why high cholesterol animal products are not the best, why you should limit dairy, why you should not consume hydrogenated fats, why you should avoid MSG, chemicals, processed food, fast-food, soda, etc. etc. etc.

I could recommend books, websites, etc. but it's your job to do your own research - that's the first step in taking control of your own wellness

Last edited by ConeyIsBabe; 11-23-2008 at 10:35 AM..

Old 11-23-2008, 12:44 PM

8,185 posts, read 21,741,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
There must be a lot of diseased, depressed, gentically deficient people in the US then!

Or they could just be eating a lot.

In all seriousness---while yes, there may be some cases where people actually have a thyroid problem or some type of physical inability (bad back, bad knees, etc etc) , that is a very very small percentage of the total amount of people who are obese. I hate how people try to treat every deficiency as a "special case" as if they were entitled to the sympathy and the "exceptional situation". This is simply just not true. The American culture facilitates overeating and overindulgence...anyone who denies this has their head planted in a box of sand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
There is something that causes people to over-eat. Food is addictive just like drugs, cigarrettes, etc... It doesn't help that fast food is readily available and now, just for a buck. It's feeding people's addictions. But, I do think that people are doing more nowadays about it than ever before and that being overweight is not the 'norm'.

I'm not talking about being 20 lbs over-weight, I'm talking about 50+... I think there are a lot of options these days and people are taking advantage of them and seeking a better lifestyle.
The problem with being overweight is not as simple as just telling someone to eat less. The issue that practically nobody addresses is that if you are a living human being, then you have to consume organic substances (by organic I mean carbon-based) in order to remain a living human being. So that totally complicates the issue. While over eating may be the cause of the weight gain, you also simply cannot tell someone to not eat. You might as well suggest that they not breathe as well. Other addictions can be helped by abstaining from the addictive property (with proper mental/group support, of course). When someone is addicted to food, it is much harder to treat because like I said, we have to eat in order to survive. Food addictions are not an all or nothing problem; it's like treating an alcoholic by telling them to only have two drinks a day.

I appologize if this seems jumbled....I am out the door and shooting this from this from the hip

Old 11-24-2008, 03:01 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,325,091 times
No one cries for junkies or drunks...So why should they cry for food addicts that pass on the habits to thier children? What would you think of some adult that handed a 6 year old a beer or a line of coke.
Its all the same thing. Self destruction in the name of pleasure and relief.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:13 PM

973 posts, read 2,906,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
There are basic nutrition books out there but I often read magazines for current information. One of my favorites is "Prevention."

They talk about new research being conducted regarding vitamins, herbs and how to use food to address health issues like diabetes and hypertension. They also discuss excercise and offer recipes with calorie information. It is one of the best resources I have used. The magazine also includes offers to purchase BOOKS about nutrition each month.

It's easy to read and interesting to anyone who wants to improve their overall health. Love it!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 06:23 PM

6,005 posts, read 13,178,004 times
well, again, like I said, I'm not making excuses for others, I know what is and isn't good nutrition, but others may not, and education IS lacking in this area. some people still don't know the difference between a good or bad fat, don' know how much carbs to eat (Atkins really screwed up people's perception of how much is needed), don't know which foods provide the most nutrition (ie, iceberg lettuce is better than no lettuce, but it really is crap, especially compared to other lettuces like Romaine and spinach), and really don't know about portion control (I remember how shock I was when I found out how much a serving of pasta REALLY was! or how much a serving of rice really was. I'm sure the average person eats at least 5 servings of these in one sitting!)

Old 12-08-2008, 09:24 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,585,112 times
So what you're basically saying is that you refuse to educate yourself but rather rely on your own version of truth and apply it to the rest of the world? SMH

I can't say I'm shocked. Afterall, that is how those who are benefitting from the epidemic continue to prosper.

as I said before if it were that simple, there wouldn't be that epidemic.
It darn sure wouldn't be getting worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I can read all the articles in the world...
But simple math...

Say a person is overeating by eating 2500-3500 calories as the total intake
If the person were thinner they would and should only eat 1500-2000 calories.
What costs less?
1500 calories or 3500 calories?

And I can read all the articles I want it doesnt change the fact that I can do it.
So why cant everyone else? Because they read articles and give up or use them as excuses. I lived elsewhere in the country including one of the most $$$ cities in the world.

And nitty gritty...If you are fat..you are not that poor and you just need to adjust the balance of your eating habits and spending. Its not like I make oodles of money or something. Not even close! Just doing calorie counting was a wake up to me on how much money I was throwing away to be a fat. You can pull up buzz articles but look at some cold hard facts of nutritional needs and what the fat person is eating. There are no excuses.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:40 AM

485 posts, read 1,177,422 times
Unfortunately yes!

Having just shed some extra pounds, I'm looking pretty "dern" good!
But misery always loves company, so people just keep making the same mistakes with food and overeating. Food issues are always just a symptom of a "bigger" problem!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:47 AM

1,561 posts, read 1,605,912 times
Most fat people are fat because they have zero will power or are too lazy to exercize.

It's amazing what cutting out the fast food and a little exercize will do for you! Not everyone can be a Brad Pitt or Angerlina Jolie but most everyone can at least be healthy!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:50 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,327,150 times
I agree eating healthily can be expensive. That being said... at the grocery store that serves the less wealthy population here, vegetables are very CHEAP. The big bags of rice, do not NEED to be white rice, could be brown rice. White rice just tastes better. Whole wheat flour is also cheap. White,bromated bleached crap just tastes better... Also nobody is forcing anyone to drink soda or whole milk. Water is also very cheap... and I don't mean bottled water. My wife and I have learned that indulging at home is more healthy than eating "normal" "regular" food out at a restaurant. You really have NO clue what they are putting in your food!

Also, you need to exercise. It is hard to get out there but start by walking... it is great for you

Last edited by joe moving; 12-08-2008 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness