U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,013,230 times

Advertisements

I think it is simply laziness (for the most part). There are a few cases where someone has a genetic/medical condition causing them to gain weight, but those cases are not the norm. I just graduated college, I have a good job, but I am not rolling in money. I have student loans on top of all the normal payments, and unfortunately, I don't eat the best. I can't afford the 'healthy' foods. I started riding a bike to work (12 miles each way), and the days it is too cold/raining/whatever to do that I force myself to go running. Consequently, I am not overweight. A guy I work with is on a 'diet', but buys prepackaged doughnuts from a vending machine every day. The simple fact is that it is easier to eat unhealthy, and it is easier to not exercise. I don't think there is anything more complicated to it. You lose weight by expending more calories than you take in. This means if you want to lose weight you either eat better or exercise more. Pick one of these (or both) and you will lose weight. There aren't any victims, just excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 08:35 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
1 in 3 americans are obese. i dont think that is a wild accusation.
they are also the hardest working people on earth and older too.
energy level and spirits have gota stay muy high.
the light follows the baby boomers. however pop has been around the track
3 times already trying to pass the baton with no takers.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:35 AM

4,618 posts, read 10,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
People are over-weight for many reasons and assuming that it's pure will-power or lack there of that's the problem is ignorant.

People are obese because of a variety of reasons:
Learned habits when they're younger
A disease
Depression
Genetics

It's no secret that 2 people can eat and excercise the same for their entire lives, yet one can be skinny and the other not.

I also disagree about your claim to this being a problem now. I think people are much more aware nowadays and are trying very hard to be healthy than they were just 10 years ago. Fast food chains have stopped super-sizing their meals like they used to and started offering salad choices and such. This trend has been growing.
Facts prove otherwise....

Its also no secret that folks in the US are getting fatter and have been for the past 20 years....this is not opinion, this is not being "more aware" this is fact...

I agree with the original poster being overweight in America IS becoming the norm.

Obesity and Overweight: Trends: U.S. Obesity Trends | DNPAO | CDC

Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 AM

3,868 posts, read 7,420,264 times
Avoid most canned soups except for Healthy Choice, most microwave foods, chips, pretzels, white bread, and lunchmeat. Buy fruits, veggies, and salads. This is the key to good health.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:12 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,509,642 times
It's not that hard to eat healthy. Just throw a squash in the oven and don't smother it with butter and maple syrup.

Most people are fat and out of shape because they are lazy and lack any sort of discipline in their lives. (It's the same mentality that gets people thousands of dollars into credit card debt.) It's really that simple. If you want to sit on the couch all night eating a quart of ice-cream, well guess what? You're gonna turn into a porky pig.

Frankly, I think most people just do what's easy. They don't want to think to much. Don't want life to be too complicated. Like to eat bags of chips and steak and potatoes for dinner.

And then one day they wind up in the hospital with chest pains and the doctor says, "Looks like we'll need to do a triple bypass a.s.a.p."

Old 11-04-2008, 03:16 PM

22,243 posts, read 14,734,919 times
The key to reversing this trend has got to be education. Certainly in the schools would help, but not only in the schools. When you think about the millions and millions of people who primary source of education is TV, you realize why the nutritional health of our society is becoming so degraded. TV ads are "teaching" parents and children that a Happy Meal is a meal! That pizza and fried chicken is a quick and easy solution to feeding the family. When you go to the grocery store, take notice of what people buy to take home to the family. It is no wonder our health care system can no longer handle the burden. TV must be used, somehow, to re-educate the population and at least provide people with the idea that they have a choice that can counteract the damage being done in the name of free enterprise. I am not saying companies not be allowed to advertise, but we also need to provide alternative teachings.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:36 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,686,058 times
I think being overweight is certainly becoming the norm. To me, it has to do with having a very bad food environment and lack of parental guidance for making good food decisions (American kids are becoming pretty plump). Many of us are not educated on what is good for our bodies and what is not. Very intelligent people can be 5'5 and 300 lbs. so it's not like fat people are "dumb" they just have become ensnared in a cycle of bad habits. It's REALLY easy for people to be overweight. If you look at a regular supermarket it's mind boggling that most of it is processed w/ too much fat, salt, and unnatural additives. Our portions are off the charts (seriously, do our bodies NEED 5 servings of pasta in one sitting????). I'm thin but it takes planning and a conscious effort to maintain it.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:48 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,509,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The key to reversing this trend has got to be education.
How much education do you need to learn how to eat healthy? Don't you know the difference between an apple and a candy bar or a Coke and a glass of water? Do you need to go to college to figure that out?

Most people know what healthy eating is. They just don't bother, because they'd rather have their fetuccini alfredo or their pepperoni pizza or McDonald's hamburger and fries.

It's just a lack of discipline. People are LAZY. They want to do what's easy.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:54 PM

3,699 posts, read 6,714,876 times
Look at photos from WWII or from the 1950s, and look around you today.

Look at pro baseball players from even 25 years ago. People are getting huge.

Excess weight on the order of 20, 30, 40 or more pounds is the norm now.

Kids in the 50s and 60s were rarely overweight. Today it's quite common to see fat kids who aren't even in elementary school yet.

There've been a lot of changes. We live in a toxic soup now, there are tens of thousands more times the man-made chemicals than existed at the end of WWII.
We may never sort out the effect many of them have on us.

Our kids play with gadgets rather than ride bikes all day Saturday. Parents drive dozens of miles to take kids to sports events, when we used to ride our bikes there.

More food, less exercise, more entertainment, less motivation, more excuses, less discipline. Welcome to Rome.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:39 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
I have traveled all over the united staes and I see alot more overweight peole. I also see a big increrase in over weight children which use to not be a problem as liitle as 30 years ago. I guess it goes along with no physcal activity now days for thise thast don't have medical reasons.Eeven Darwin would give that much chnace with what we are seeing in chilkdren at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness