U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:32 AM

3,966 posts, read 9,150,540 times

Advertisements

overweight becoming the normal? yep. You can eat as healthy as possible, right portions and all, but if you never have free time, like working out, you gain weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 PM

973 posts, read 2,906,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
It's not "just" the food it's also the quantity. I love to cook and I love the taste of so many foods. I am very lucky that I also like the taste of healthy foods. Everything in moderation is key. I even bought smaller dinner plates and that's what we use. I'm from an Italian family so it's hard not to overfill plates and say mangia, mangia.
I love food and enjoy eating a variety of things but I also know when to stop. Most of the time, anyway! I will eat extra of my Mom's cooking because I don't get to enjoy it very often but I make the effort to watch my portions and what I eat for a few days afterwards to make up for it.

What I'd like to see is restuarants stop serving these HUGE portions of food. Bring those plate sizes down to normal and offer a smaller amount for a reasonable price. If you want more, order dessert.

I always wonder how much food those restaurants throw away each day because there are many like me who just can't eat everything put in front of them.

I take half of my dinner home almost every time I eat out. At least I get two meals out of it for the price.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:08 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,197,034 times
Some restaurants will give you "half portions" if you ask and also a lower price..When we go to a sit down restaurant , I always order a half portion..At the buffet places, I take only what I plan to eat and never go back for another plate..

Old 11-06-2008, 04:27 PM

6,004 posts, read 13,175,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Tired of this excuse. I've done the research and the footwork behind comparison shopping, etc. You can eat healthy on a very small budget. Next...
actually, everything ohiogirl said is 100% true. it's hard to do comparison shopping when you live in a neighborhood where you can't really compare between stores b/c major supermarket chains won't open up locations in your area! the stores that do open up stock up on cheap items that aren't that healthy. I live about a mile away from a store chain commonly seen in low income areas, and the healthy selection is horrible: under ripe/over ripe produce (not uncommon to see brown, soggy leave in bagged salads), limited selection of whole grain products (very few breads that are 100% whole grain, and even these had HFCS in them!), fewer cuts of low fat, good cuts of meats (a lot of cheap, fattening ground beef and chicken drumsticks), little to no all natural, hormone free, or organic products. if I want good food, I have to take a bus over to the closest Jewels/Osco or head over to Whole Foods for premium produce and stuff w/o HFCS, but not everyone has that option

the good stuff IS more expensive, at least when it comes to lightly processed foods like breads and cut up meats, and just like a chain like Whole Foods stock up on healthy foods geared towards people of a certain income, some chains stock up on cheap, heavily processed foods geared towards people of lower income

now, if you do everything from scratch, like bake your own bread, it is cheaper, but not a lot people have time to do this, so rely on lightly processed/heavily processed foods that free up cooking times. this is especially true of people who may have to work more hours, such as many lower income people w/ two jobs

Old 11-07-2008, 01:11 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
No really,

Where do you live?

And is that for a family or an individual and will it last until the next week or month when the grocery money comes in?

Is the fruits and veggies in the can or are they fresh ?

Pittsburgh...

Fruits and veggies are mixed lot. Some fresh some canned/frozen (usually frozen/cheaper/better for you)

Thats an over estimate of a day. I dont have a family because I dont breed what I cant afford.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:14 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
much easier to go to a doctor to take high blood pressure pills rather than excercise & diet,
assuming you are working a 70 hr work week to support you unemployed family.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:24 PM

You have to eat anyway.. SO why not just eat right in the first place?

Next!

Old 11-07-2008, 02:39 PM

48,891 posts, read 39,370,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Omg, I had have a hard time watching that and not saying something
People with a problem need to realize it for themselves....this person in particular is like a mule. They could be on fire and if you suggested turning the hose on they would oppose the idea just on instinct.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:42 PM

48,891 posts, read 39,370,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
overweight becoming the normal? yep. You can eat as healthy as possible, right portions and all, but if you never have free time, like working out, you gain weight.
Not true.

Sorry, but as an example...go sit in a chair, no exercise at all....eat about 500cals. a day...you will be emaciated in a number of months depending on your starting point.

Healthy? No. But that's not the point.

You gain weight where calories in > calories spent...this is irrefutable.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:13 PM

You could sit in a chair and eat 1200-1500 calories a day and at least lose tothe point of not being obese.
No one said everyone had to look like a stick or a fitness model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness