U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:24 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,513,606 times

Advertisements

The way I see it.... it's a matter of personal responsibility NOW !

Educate yourself on what is nutritional and healthy (computer, books).

Choose to eat only healthy foods and reject junk food; this alone will save money spent on high-fat, fried fast food, non-nutritional high sugar items, excess dairy and high-cholesterol food, soda pop, ETC.

Eat less, exercise more, choose to be healthy!

It really IS simple !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 03:54 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,213,282 times
It is really sad what our country has become. Overweight and unhealthy. We have to really educate people and get the food producers to get on board. I agree that the portions at the restaurants are way too big. We need to get Phy. Ed. back into the schools and really teach the next generation how to exercise and eat well. In Europe they have bike paths everywhere and you see people biking and walking rain or shine. But they learn that from when they were little. We need to go back to the basics and stop eating all the fast foods.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:37 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,509,642 times
I saw some fat people at whole foods today and they were drinking soda with their lunch. That's why they are fat, because they drink that sugar water.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:04 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,213,282 times
Oh I agree I can't understand why people drink tons of sodas. I used to drink a ton of diet drinks and I cut them all out a year ago. I just drink mostly water and some ice tea. Even a bunch of juice is not good since it has a lot of sugar in it.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:53 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,585,112 times
So what your basically saying is that you really don't know what your talking about. You, like many people, got sucked into a conversation without having an inkling about what you were talking about.

Your not alone in your behavior though, the country is full of people who behave this way, which is why it's always funny to see them get bitten in the ass because of their arrogance .

Shame on you, for TRULY BELIEVING that the millions of Americans who are overweight, are that way because of themselves!

All is not lost though, if you take the time to educate yourself on the ways of the FDA and it's direct correlation with financial wealth, particularly in this country, you'd realize how foolish it is to make certain ASS-umptions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Pittsburgh...

Fruits and veggies are mixed lot. Some fresh some canned/frozen (usually frozen/cheaper/better for you)

Thats an over estimate of a day. I dont have a family because I dont breed what I cant afford.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:05 PM

4,791 posts, read 12,896,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Some restaurants will give you "half portions" if you ask and also a lower price..When we go to a sit down restaurant , I always order a half portion..At the buffet places, I take only what I plan to eat and never go back for another plate..
I have never heard of a half portion order... I usually carry out.

Buffets - I only do pay by lb carry out, never pay lots for a buffet because I don't eat too much!

Old 11-15-2008, 02:35 PM

7,047 posts, read 15,990,548 times
Well, for a lot of people 55+, being overweight is the normal. Heck, we have seen a number of 55+ tv and movie stars that are now overweight. And, a number of the old music artists are overweight. Look at Aretha Franklin. In her younger years she was slim and stunning, now she heavy! Look at Alec Baldwin. In The Hunt For Red October, he was slim, today he is heavy! And, they all have the money to get better looking again. It's just an age thing that can/will happen to a lot of you folks when you get to that age!! Wife and I use to get a lot of exercise 8 years ago when we were squaredancing, country dancing and I was involved in rodeo (Team Roping) (no bashing of this sport, please). Today, in part due to the aches/pains of being 60, we don't do that much in the exercise column. In the summer, we do love boating/fishing and that is great exercise for us. I've had a hip replacement and rotor cup/shoulder surgery, so I have to be careful not to hurt those areas. We are eating better than we use to, but still like our chips, some cake and pie.
I have seen the younger generation want to be slim b/c the girls boyfriend or husband demands it and the same goes for the men and their lady demanding it.
Some people smoke to keep food out of their mouth. Then, they get told "smoking is bad for you".
Fast food and regular restaurants aren't going to shove nutrious food at anyone. People have to be RESPONSIBLE for what/how they eat!!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:19 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,325,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
So what your basically saying is that you really don't know what your talking about. You, like many people, got sucked into a conversation without having an inkling about what you were talking about.

Your not alone in your behavior though, the country is full of people who behave this way, which is why it's always funny to see them get bitten in the ass because of their arrogance .

Shame on you, for TRULY BELIEVING that the millions of Americans who are overweight, are that way because of themselves!

All is not lost though, if you take the time to educate yourself on the ways of the FDA and it's direct correlation with financial wealth, particularly in this country, you'd realize how foolish it is to make certain ASS-umptions!

Yeh I dont know what I am talking about..

Lost 70 pounds while poor...Proof is in the pudding baby.
Or lack of it

And I dont mean everyone has to be a stick either.

I dont know why you are all aggressive about it.
People are that way because of thier habits.
Its not a great mystery. I dont know why people who are fat just dont say "yeh I like to freaking eat" At least then that would be honest and not in denial operations.
But I swear confronting someone about overeating gets more crazy than someone who drinks too much.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:20 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,585,112 times
Not agreeing with YOU = crazy?

The best thing to do here is to agree to disagree. You say (based on your experience) it's just a matter of personal will, I say (based on the experiences outside of my own) there's way more to it than that.

Fin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Yeh I dont know what I am talking about..

Lost 70 pounds while poor...Proof is in the pudding baby.
Or lack of it

And I dont mean everyone has to be a stick either.

I dont know why you are all aggressive about it.
People are that way because of thier habits.
Its not a great mystery. I dont know why people who are fat just dont say "yeh I like to freaking eat" At least then that would be honest and not in denial operations.
But I swear confronting someone about overeating gets more crazy than someone who drinks too much.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:49 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,142,113 times
Last night, I watched back to back episodes of Half Ton Mom and Half Ton Dad on TLC. HTM was over 900 pounds, and after being rejected for gastric bypass surgery, was finally accepted by Renaissance Hospital in Houston. She survived the surgery, but two weeks later died of cardiac arrest and left behind 2 young daughters. She was 29. Fortunately, her older daughter now knows better and is leading a healthy active life and ensures her younger sister also does not end up obese.

HTD tipped the scales at 1,030 lbs. He was an ex-gang member in Los Angeles who got married, had 4 girls and then his marriage eventually ended in divorce. To get over his depression, he ate himself to that weight until he was homebound for 4 years. The insane thing was that he stayed in the hospital for 4 months before and after his surgery as they had to take off 2 growths in each of his leg (at 47 lbs each) before they could do the surgery. It took a team of 6 occupational therapists struggling and panting as they cleaned him up daily and dressed his bedsores. He has not taken a single bath in the four years he was bedridden. At the same time, while his family (and being recorded on TV) was waiting for him to come home, they swung by McDonalds, got burgers, fries, sodas and milk shakes like it wasn't the thing that got their father in the situation to begin with. I don't think education will help people like these any.

According to TLC last night too, Houston has the most number of super morbidly obese people, (this guy's BMI was 113!) and the number of people weighing over 500 pounds is now close to 2 million in the US!

The other episode showed an obese Mom catering to her over 300 pound morbidly obese teenager, because her first son died and felt she had to take care of her only remaining son. Up until the boy's scheduled surgery, the mother absolutely had no remorse nor clue that her actions were what had put her only son now in grave danger. I am betting that unless she gets pyschological counselling, her son if he survives the surgery will start putting on any weight he may have lost.

The cost of healthcare would indeed be impacted if more and more people just turned to $30,000 gastric bypass surgeries to solve their weight problems. I don't know if the hospital featured in these episodes perform these pro bono. I also doubt that all of these people have health insurance to begin with and someone is footing this cost.

Last edited by BagongBuhay; 11-17-2008 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness