Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:10 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,057,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
There must be a lot of diseased, depressed, gentically deficient people in the US then!

Or they could just be eating a lot.

In all seriousness---while yes, there may be some cases where people actually have a thyroid problem or some type of physical inability (bad back, bad knees, etc etc) , that is a very very small percentage of the total amount of people who are obese. I hate how people try to treat every deficiency as a "special case" as if they were entitled to the sympathy and the "exceptional situation". This is simply just not true. The American culture facilitates overeating and overindulgence...anyone who denies this has their head planted in a box of sand.
There is something that causes people to over-eat. Food is addictive just like drugs, cigarrettes, etc... It doesn't help that fast food is readily available and now, just for a buck. It's feeding people's addictions. But, I do think that people are doing more nowadays about it than ever before and that being overweight is not the 'norm'.

I'm not talking about being 20 lbs over-weight, I'm talking about 50+... I think there are a lot of options these days and people are taking advantage of them and seeking a better lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:23 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
First, I never suggested that overweight folks were in poverty ridden areas so perhaps that is your own personal issue. I see this everywhere.

When I said some took the "Super-Size Me" mentality too far, I was referring to folks who are already struggling with their weight AND health issues yet still consume HUGE amounts of food and usually junk food. I am NOT referring to folks with medical conditions that cause weight gain or folks whose medications cause weight gain. These I situations I can understand. Perhaps you are being judgemental yourself since you haven't seemed to have taken the question in the spirit in which it was meant.

I recently watched a woman who was terribly overweight eat TWO large hamburgers, a Supersize order of Fries, a 32 ounce drink, then went back for dessert. She struggled just to get out of her chair and I overheard her complaining about her "bad knees." I see things like this often.

I also beg to differ than junk food is cheaper than healthy food. Organic food may be more expensive but I can go to the grocery and make decent food choices and spend the equivilant amount of money.
I've seen the same thing. Ever been to the Old Country Buffet/Hometown Buffet? It's a gorge-fest on cheap, crappy food.

Eating healthy takes a little thought, but it doesn't have to be expensive. Last night I made veggie burritos - Whole grain/low fat tortillas, $3 (but we only had 2 apiece) , a head of leaf lettuse, $1, a can of vegetarian fat free refried beans, $1, 2 Roma tomatoes, $1, chopped green onions, 50 cents (half the bunch), about 25 cents worth of chopped cilantro, and we used about a quarter jar of salsa that cost $2, so 50 cents worth. Oh, and a little shredded cheese, probably 50 cents worth. So for about $5, I fet two people a healthy meal. I'll admit that the whole wheat tortillas weren't the best, but they were relatively healthy.

We also stick to whole grain pasta when we use it, and try to get creative with salads. Oh, and another cheap, easy salad is Three Bean. I just dump a can of green beans, garbanzo bean, kidney beans in a big bowl (always get the no/low sodium beans), chop a little red onion, and add some fat free vinagarette.

If you eat meat, those packs of legs and thighs are cheap - under $5. Just pull off the skin before marinading and toss on the grill or in the oven. Or marinade in fat free vinagarette and a little Mrs. Dash, toss in the oven or on the grille. You've got enough meat for a family of 4, and it's not fried and fattening.

Personally I think the proplem is with ignorance (people raised on fast food, fried food, too much meat, etc. just don't know how to eat healthy) and then addiction. I have a couple good friends who are morbidly obese and they're very smart people. But it's an addicion for them. Just seeing a fast food place or smelling fried food is hard for them to pass up.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:24 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
You can eat cheaply and not be fat. Thats a stupid excuse.
Breakfast:
Cereal - 50cents
Lunch:
Sandwich + fruit = 2.00
Dinner:
Meat + veggies = 3.00

And thats being generous. If you buy whats on sale,large packages, frozen stuff its even cheaper.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Breakfast:
Cereal - 50cents
Lunch:
Sandwich + fruit = 2.00
Dinner:
Meat + veggies = 3.00

And thats being generous. If you buy whats on sale,large packages, frozen stuff its even cheaper.
Thank you! Took the words right out of my mouth...and in fact cereal doesn't even take 50 cents. A lot of times, you can buy a whole BOX of cereal that'll last you for like a week for about 2 bucks.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:36 PM

926 posts, read 2,746,855 times
I just think its sad when I see young kids that are obese. My friends son is almost three years old and is about 50 pounds. He was eating adult food before he was 2. She is obese herself but I think part of the problem comes from parenting. Some people who dont put limits on themselves dont put limits on their children. I hope the docotrs can try harder to convince her the risk she is putting on herself and her child- laziness is no excuse. Unfortunatly it takes something serious to change someone- like diabetes or heart disease

Old 11-03-2008, 01:39 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I don't think being overweight is becoming the norm... at least I hope not. I do think there are some areas where you see more overweight people. I'm in the Pacific Northwest, and I see more thin-looking people. When we were in Texas, I saw more overweight people. When we were in California, we saw more orange and fake-looking people (fake hair, fake nails, fake tan, etc.). It's kind of strange...

I would imagine that any person who is overweight knows it, and doesn't feel good about it. No matter what they project outwardly to try to make it seem like they are happy with their bodies the way they are, they must know deep down that they would feel better if they could somehow shed the excess. It's a strain on our internal organs to carry around so much extra weight. But it's such a problem... with all the unhealthy food around us all every day. It takes an enormous amount of dedication and love for yourself to say no to all that crap and live better. And the motivation towards and finding the time for exercising is a whole 'nother battle! Two battles, really!

I have been lucky in that I am an averaged sized person... but I still watch what I eat and exercise regularly. But I know there are those who for whatever reason or reasons are very heavy, don't know why, and want things to change. Maybe they don't know how to eat right, or maybe it's a genetic thing, or maybe it's something else altogether, who knows. It's gotta be so hard, my heart just really goes out to them. Things like this makes you wish you had a magic wand. One swish and we'd all be good, smart, and healthy.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:40 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,057,785 times
This is interesting... My son is skinny and my daughter is starting to get heavy. They eat the same exact things. I cook all the time and we rarely go out to eat. Her favorite foods are vegetables and salad and we eat red meat once every week or 2. There are never any sweets in the house and they both get the same amount of exercise at school and she runs around more outside.

My side of the family has both overweight people and thin people. They just take after different people. It's genetic. In my situation, I have to take measures to help her work against her body type, but it's very hard to do this. I'm serving her less than her brother, she's feeling deprived, depressed about herself, etc... This is not as easy as just will power. It's heart breaking.

I have a sister who's close to 300 lbs and unfortunately, that's my daughter's motivation.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:43 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times
No really,

Where do you live?

And is that for a family or an individual and will it last until the next week or month when the grocery money comes in?

Is the fruits and veggies in the can or are they fresh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Breakfast:
Cereal - 50cents
Lunch:
Sandwich + fruit = 2.00
Dinner:
Meat + veggies = 3.00

Old 11-03-2008, 01:52 PM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It was an example of judging a person before their personal situation is known.

Then you should have said so in plain English.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have a generous food budget. Ounce for ounce, refined pasta is cheaper than chicken; white rice is cheaper than vegetables. When you're struggling to feed your family, pennies count.
Might want to re-read my original post to see where I referred to folks who were overweight AND had health issues. Pretty plain English.

Overweight can be as little as 10-20 pounds and that amount can and does affect one's health.

Perhaps the "Candy Hangover" you refer to in your "Status" has affected your understanding of the question with the intent in which it was meant which is folks who are overweight AND have health issues. Seems like you are on your own personal soapbox.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:38 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
This is interesting... My son is skinny and my daughter is starting to get heavy. They eat the same exact things. I cook all the time and we rarely go out to eat. Her favorite foods are vegetables and salad and we eat red meat once every week or 2. There are never any sweets in the house and they both get the same amount of exercise at school and she runs around more outside.

My side of the family has both overweight people and thin people. They just take after different people. It's genetic. In my situation, I have to take measures to help her work against her body type, but it's very hard to do this. I'm serving her less than her brother, she's feeling deprived, depressed about herself, etc... This is not as easy as just will power. It's heart breaking.

I have a sister who's close to 300 lbs and unfortunately, that's my daughter's motivation.
How old is your daughter? Have you had her thyroid checked? Boys and men do burn fat faster so they can eat more than girls and women. Please don't let her feel depressed about herself. Help her if you can. I don't know her age so I can't really say much more about it. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness