U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 08:11 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,716,950 times

Advertisements

Q-tips are not meant to be inserted into your ear canal--they are for cleaning the outside portion of your ear or taking off make-up, or whatever....they should NEVER be put into your ear canal!!!! All you do is push and compact any earwax, or puncture your eardrum!

Don't do that anymore!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,586 times
What If I just found blood on a qtip, when I pulled it out. My ear is not hurting or anything like that?

Old 05-25-2013, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,515 times
I just had the exact same thing happen to me this morning .About a month ago I used a q tip and the cotton swab fell off. My wife ended up taking A LOT of cotton out of my ears with a magnifying glass and tweezers, So i didnt use them until yesterday. But i got an earache yesterday which is common with walking Pneumonia which Ive had for a week and am taking anti biodics. I could NOT believe it it was as black as could be and only in the one ear .Im on my second round of anti bi odics
I dont know if its from an infection or last saturday working in an EXTREMELY dirty & dusty environment for 6 hours Anyway my ear feels blocked and hurts I guess ill go get some ear wax remover Ive never had any luck with those candles

Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Q-tips are not meant to be inserted into your ear canal--they are for cleaning the outside portion of your ear or taking off make-up, or whatever....they should NEVER be put into your ear canal!!!! All you do is push and compact any earwax, or puncture your eardrum!

Don't do that anymore!
You are So right I use to do it all the time until i noticed an off brand swab cam e of while it was in the canal ! My wife got the tweezers and cleaned out BOTh ears of cotton about the length od a cigarette filter. No wonder I couldn't hear anything ! Ive always had itchy ears I ve tried every thing including the candles nothing seems to work well for me

Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,188 times
I have a lot of itchy/pain in the ear. I tried the docs ear drops but it would only last a fairly short time, sometimes only a few weeks. I started using half strength 3% hydrogen pyroxide and that worked. But once it didn't so I rinsed with very hot, not too hot of course, water. Then I alternated starting with full 3% hydrogen pyroxide then to hot water. I found it worked OK, but I had to let my ear dry out for it to be effective.
I found at one point that I had a large clot of ear wax and didn't get ear problems for a long time after getting rid of that. Also, the TNT (chinese grocery) carries a tiny spoon to scoop excess/clumps of wax out of the ear. Works great but you have to be careful, of course.
Also, I have been getting black in the ears for about a year now, but the above helps me keep control of that. The chinese spoon has helped greatly with the too much wax problem. My son recommends garlic oil for the pain and I have used that once or twice when the rest doesn't work to good, but not immediate, effect.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,332,656 times
I have a son that has problems with wax build-up and sometimes pain. I have him lay on his side and fill the ear canal with hydrogen peroxide. I let it bubble and do its thing for awhile and then I have him turn his head to the other side and do the same on that side (I put paper towels down so the ear can drain). I sometimes do this twice on each side and it really seems to help him.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:07 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
All of my ENTs have told me to use olive oil in the ears before swimming, to prevent buildup.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:34 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
I am so glad I came across this thread. I have an adult son with Down syndrome and he has the wax problem. Once, the doctor used a long wire to stick in his ear and pull wax out while I held my son down. It was such a horrible experience because it took 3 or 4 minutes which seems not that long unless you are holding a child that is determined to escape while you are hoping that the doctor doesn't rupture something. We try to use homeopathic and herbal medicine when we can. I have had some luck with the Hyland ear drops but that takes awhile. This thread has given me some new options. Thank you.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,694 times
My ears have been bleeding for a while now. My right one will have lots of pressure and it will smell and the liquid will be dark brown but just recently I have to keep cotton in my left ear because it drains blood. I q tip it after a shower . Not going deep. I get lots of bright red blood. Not good. It's been going on 5 years. No Dr has figured it out yet. Help I. In pain all the time. Fevers too. Sometimes really high. One Dr said it might be bacterial minengitous.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,694 times
I've had all kinds of test too. Nothing shows up or they say it's too swollen to see anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness