U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:14 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,512,989 times

Advertisements

IMHO any "study" that promotes drug use....... is probably funded by the pharmaceutal company which manufactures it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 04:50 PM

3,702 posts, read 15,923,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post

Read this comment on the study...it will make you think.

SciGuy: So, should we all be taking statins?

Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
I know quite a few people who are or were on statin drugs and began having muscle problems. My mom's feet got so bad she was having problems taking her daily walk. When she went off the statins her feet got better and she's back to walking. It strikes me that if exercise is the #1 way to prevent heart disease, and you get so you can't exercise b/c of a heart drug, then the heart drug is counterproductive. Another thing to keep in mind--statins lower your cholesterol, they don't prevent heart disease. It says that in the fine print of the lipitor ad.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,486,595 times
I was put on Crestor four years ago and it was increased two years ago. In my checkup they saw elevated liver enzymes, and linked it to the leg cramps and pain I had been asking about for about a year. They took me off Crestor and the pain went away. Last month they put me on Lipitor and the leg pain came back in two weeks. I quit taking it three days ago and my legs have stopped hurting again. I am not sure what their next step will be.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:55 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,123,453 times
I have high triglycerides which affect the cholesterol. But I try eating a healthy diet and walk a lot.
High triglycerides is worse than high cholesterol. I was taking 1/2 dose of Gemfibrozil for 3 yrs but stopped now since I'm eating better and exercising. I was feeling achy, maybe from the medication. Any comments?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:07 AM

7,839 posts, read 10,147,526 times
I wonder if the focus on cholesterol has been extreme. Doesn't one have to look at more than one single factor when evaluating a person's health? Unless it's sky high, I can see in that case, it might be more nec. to go on meds maybe short term. I think everything has become way too "medicalized."
Have you tried flax seed meal everyday, too? That might be helpful long-term.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:53 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,972,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I wonder if the focus on cholesterol has been extreme. Doesn't one have to look at more than one single factor when evaluating a person's health? Unless it's sky high, I can see in that case, it might be more nec. to go on meds maybe short term. I think everything has become way too "medicalized."
Have you tried flax seed meal everyday, too? That might be helpful long-term.
Your right Phoenix Lady.....as they rarely talk about the safe levels of Triglycerides (Blood Fats) or C-Reactive Protein (Blood Inflammation).

Old 12-03-2008, 04:45 PM

324 posts, read 754,996 times
fish oil tabs

Old 12-04-2008, 06:15 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,221,161 times
Do whatever you have to to lower your levels naturally! I am a statin drug victem.. The side effects are to risky.

Let me tell you my story on them. I had NO problems other than someone else deciding what my cholesterol should be and claimed it was to high and I needed statin drugs. When I started on them, I was on NO medications, during the 5+ years I was on them I had a gallon size zip lock bag of medicines I had to take every day, just to make it through the day. I was always at my doctor because of some sudden problem I would have that required tests and more medication. At 55, I was in worse shape than my mother and she was 80! I could hardly walk because of the pain, then memory got suddenly noticably really bad, so bad that I all but had to give up driving. Acid reflux and leg cramps would wake me every night and many, many more problems that just as suddenly went away when I quit taking the drug... but I have been left with tendon damage and other problems although I have been off of them going on 3 years.

The CBS news had on their health segment one night that only MEN, with KNOWN heart disease between the age of 45 - 65 should be taking those drugs.. They had another segment one a lady who was loosing her memory on them and I personally know a man who had TGA (transient global amensia) on them and no amount of testing could find the cause of his amensia. He also (like me) has lost all of his energy and can not do the things he use to do and a whole bunch of other sudden problems.

I have the hereditary high cholesterol so I was the perfect patient for statin drugs. 2 years ago, I started eating healthy to see what would happen. Not only did I loose 45 pounds (that I gained on statin drugs) but when I recently started feeling really bad and went to the doctor, my cholesterol was checked and it was 228... That is to low for my body so I have introduced fats back into my diet and am feeling a lot better. I want mine up in the 250 range, that is when I feel the best and I decided I will let my own body tell me what my cholesterol levels should be, not someone who knows nothing about me, my body or what my body really needs. Research cholesterol and it's role in your body, that having low cholesterol does not gurantee you will not have a heart attack. I avoid ANY medications now.

All you need to do is watch what you eat to stay healthy and off of drugs. Granted, there are times we DO need medications but if it is just a simple matter of watching how you eat... DO IT!

Old 08-12-2013, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 667 times
Default Cholesterol With Natural Remedies

Learning ways to keep your cholesterol under check with the help of exercise and diet makes a noteworthy impact on health. Following are some of the best ways to lower cholesterol levels naturally. These include:

Get rid of the extra pounds
Exercise regularly
Include foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids
Consume adequate fiber
Take good multivitamins
Reduce stress levels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness