U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 01:00 PM

389 posts, read 950,418 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of quacks out there who trash statins. I've been on them for 15 or more years. I'm gong on 70 and can do maximum effort on the "Y" recumbent bike. My ratio was actually lower than the lowest range (low is better). These are the actual results.

HDL23 - 61 MG/DL 41
CHOLESTEROL135 - 200 MG/DL 126
TRIGLYCERIDE36 - 200 MG/DL 71
LDL CALCULATED60 - 160 MG/DL 69
VLDL CHOLESTEROL, CALCULATED30 - 60 MG/DL 14
CHOL/HDL RATIO3.7 - 6.7 % 3.0

Of course not eating a bunch of greasy and junk food is also good. Obviously exercise is beneficial.

But think back a few decades ago and how many relatively young people were dying of heart attacks. That tells the tale. Statins work. They can have side effects but to my knowledge haven't affected me adversely.

I think I would listen to the true experts and less to the quacks and charlatans who make a huge living off scaring people.

It was not possible for me to lower my readings short of the meds.

This is not to say that I won't keel over today with a heart attack but I'm on my way to the "Y" for another day on the bike.

Obviously smoking is a quick trip to the undertaker. Don't.

Last edited by rmissourimule; 08-25-2013 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 04:09 PM

5,120 posts, read 9,418,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My thoughts" Absolutely not. I wouldn't touch a cholesterol medication, even if I had very high cholesterol. At least, not until I had given a chance to dietary adjustment to see if that helped.

Identify three or four things that you eat in moderate (or excessive) am ounts that are cholesterol culprits, and cut your consumption of those in half. How hard can it be to cut your butter consumption in half? If your cholesterol is borderline high, I bet it will be within normal range next time.

If your doctor tells you he wants you on lipitor or something, tell him you would rather try a dietary adjustment for a few months, first, and see if that works. If he insists on giving you a Rx for something anyway, you are not forced to take it. Take some control yourself for your health maintenance.
Absolutely! I so agree. Before going on a statin, I would investigate other possibilities. And the magnesium connection seems a good one to start with. If magnesium can correct a high cholesterol issue, it seems to me I'd want to go there. If it works without the statin side effects, then you're home free with a cheap solution.

And with something like 70-80-% of Americans short on magnesium and unable to get it from their denatured food, then it's a seeming no brainer to start there. But some want a pharmaceutical drug and have closed minds as to supplements to investigate. It's their choice, but then they have to accept the possible side effects.

Me, I'm for a natural solution before the pharmaceutical one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness