U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 06:48 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,663,596 times

Advertisements

Ladies, I need your help! The last few months I've been experiencing ever-increasing sweating at night. I can go to sleep cold with a blanket and quilt and then wake up in the middle of the night hot and practically drenched. What supplements or OTC medicines work for you, if any?

I'm 49, will be 50 in two days (). I don't smoke, don't drink alcohol. I drink gallons of water, iced tea, a little coffee every morning. I take a B-complex capsule everyday. Also, I'm on oral contraceptives because the boyfriend needs to schedule an important appointment. Other than Advil for headaches, that's all I take.

I thought I would try herbs or supplements before I visit my doctor. I haven't even have thought about HRT. Just trying the most natural way first.

Any constructive suggestions are most welcome. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 07:11 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,525,268 times
Try Black Cohosh.

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/blackcohosh/

Old 11-09-2008, 07:16 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,337,996 times
From someone 6 months your senior, you have my empathy! I have serious night-sweats as well. I have a bottle of black cohosh I haven't started taking yet, but perhaps I'll start. I had my first true daytime hot flash a few weeks ago. That was a real trip . Best of luck to us!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 01:42 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Most importantly, happy birthday!!

My nurse practitioner suggested drinking 4 oz. of soy milk every day. So far, so good. The night sweats aren't so bad, and the daytime hot flashes that left me exhausted and shaky are gone. Yay.

I'm not taking the pill, though -- that might complicate things somewhat?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:44 PM

894 posts, read 3,891,260 times
try peppermint oil on the soles of your feet

Old 11-13-2008, 05:33 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,355,232 times
Welcome to menopause!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:10 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,716,950 times
Yes, welcome! It sucks getting older! I've been going through this for awhile now. Tried the OTC stuff (can't think of the name--it has black cohosh and something else) but it caused terrible intestinal symptoms.
Now, I'm on a vaginal cream that has helped with the dryness factor and even seems to have lessened some of the hot flashes.
Mine started just at night, but now, have progressed to occassional daytime flashes. I hate being pre-menopausal!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:27 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,506,698 times
Check with your doctor first to be sure it's not a symptom of something else, sometimes something as simple as an infection will cause night sweats, along with some very serious illnesses. But we're the sameage, so we know better, eh? Estroven is all natural, soy based. The store brands are half the price and the same ingredients. I found it worked much better that just black cohosh alone for both hot flashes and night sweats. In fact my doctor recommended it Luv her! I did try HRT for a very short time, but was so afraid of the risks and actually felt worse. And don't believe all the hype you hear about progesterone cream being good for you, do some reasearch, you can make a mess of your hormone balance and cause twice the symptoms. If you try the estroven type supplements you should see a difference in just a week if that. I take it at night even though some of the packages say morning. I've found that during times when I still have a few days of more severe hot flashes and night sweats I can take extra black cohosh. Red Clover and sage supplements are also supposed to be helpful, but I found for me they weren't. Rule of thumb is simply keep an open mind and try natural, and if you feel worse, it isn't what your body wants. Different things work for different people. Just remember you aren't alone we all have to go thru it! Just be kind to yourself and take it is stride Those cute little paper fans are great to have handy and a cold wash cloth on the back of the neck or held on the wrists help also

Old 11-14-2008, 09:47 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
I was 49 when I had first hot flash, they are HORRIBLE, and unless you've had one, you can't understand this discomfort. I take the Walmart brand of Estroven, it's cheaper and I also take two Black Cohosh. I was taking a prescription Bellamine, but they stopped making it, it really works, but I found a pharmacy that now makes it, but it's $45. My hot flashes are almost gone. But I can honestly say I do not miss not having a period!!!!! I also have to have a fan at all times. Oh and if you're really about to ignite, sticking your hear in freezer feels GREAT!

Old 11-15-2008, 04:45 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,506,698 times
I started a few years ago, was in my early 40's. Last year was the worst so I'm finally on the down side (I hope!), only a few times a day or so. I remember, at it's worst, the thing that got to me the most was the losing sleep for waking up every hour The Walmart brand is one I use most, unless I run out & can't get there. I also bought just a few plain white men's hankerchiefs that I keep in my purse or jeans pocket to mop my face if I'm "in public". And those computer air dusters work great when I'm at work! Sometimes it is definately embarassing, but I'm pretty much up front about it and will say something like "hold on a sec, I'm havin' a hot flash". At least I can laugh at myself! But I view it as it is nothing rare, every woman goes thru it, so I try to keep a sense of humor. It gets aggravating, sure, but who are you going to be mad at for nature taking it's course? But on the bright side, I've been able to turn the thermostat way down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness