U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 01:16 PM

2,745 posts, read 12,851,069 times

Advertisements

I'm ready to try the Neti pot for my constantly stuffy sinuses.... but I have a question:

I've read here and there that you shouldn't try the Neti pot if you are currently suffering from severely clogged nasal passages / sinus problems...? Is it just mainly supposed to be used as a preventative?

If that's the case then I don't know what to do, aside from wait for one of the 5 (??) days a year I am NOT stopped up!

Should I just try it anyway? I am currently sick with more than the "usual" sinus problems... cold, flu, I dunno what but of course it's aggravating the already aggravated sinus problems that are "normal" for me. Probably have a sinus infection... but then again I am constantly in that state. I probably have a sinus infection of some sort at least 9 months a year!! It's become so normal that I can't even remember what it's like to breath through the nose and I've been taking Sudafed for YEARS to just keep the discomfort to a minimum (it never actually totally clears me up, just keeps the sinus headaches at bay)...

Anyway, experience with the Neti pot while actively "infected"?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 01:35 PM

894 posts, read 3,890,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I'm ready to try the Neti pot for my constantly stuffy sinuses.... but I have a question:

I've read here and there that you shouldn't try the Neti pot if you are currently suffering from severely clogged nasal passages / sinus problems...? Is it just mainly supposed to be used as a preventative?

If that's the case then I don't know what to do, aside from wait for one of the 5 (??) days a year I am NOT stopped up!

Should I just try it anyway? I am currently sick with more than the "usual" sinus problems... cold, flu, I dunno what but of course it's aggravating the already aggravated sinus problems that are "normal" for me. Probably have a sinus infection... but then again I am constantly in that state. I probably have a sinus infection of some sort at least 9 months a year!! It's become so normal that I can't even remember what it's like to breath through the nose and I've been taking Sudafed for YEARS to just keep the discomfort to a minimum (it never actually totally clears me up, just keeps the sinus headaches at bay)...

Anyway, experience with the Neti pot while actively "infected"?
Welcome to my world...

Yes, I would use the neti pot, although if you are stuffed it may not get up there all the way. I use mine ALL the time.

I use something called something called alkalol with my nasal cup. The Alkalol Company

I also take large doses of Vitamin C and Oil of Oregano. It is nasty stuff but it works. Just make sure it wildcrafted of high quality. I use the Oregano as a preventative. It is a anti-inflamatory, anti-bacterial, anti-viral. It's amazing stuff.

Have you thought about sinus surgery? I did mine about 20 years ago and it kept my sinus infections at bay for about 13 years.

Also avoid dairy, sugar, etc. It breaks down the immune system.

If you are stuffed at night, use vicks vabor rub on your feet with socks.

Feel better, life with sinus issues suck....

Old 11-10-2008, 02:54 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,119,501 times
I suffer like you do. When you use the neti for the first few times if you are not getting a drainage out of the other nose, you need to stop and try again every few hours. Usually you'll get enough water up your nose that it will help dislodge the blockage albeit slowly. Once the blockage is cleared you should have normal drainage. I use a saline spray to add moisture to my nostrils and that is a big help. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:39 PM

2,428 posts, read 4,066,101 times
I agree with the first two replies - definitely try the neti pot.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:10 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,602,470 times
I'm a big fan of the neti pot also.

I used to have much more sinus infections until I came up with this routine:

At first sign of a cold or sinus problem, I use Afrin if I'm completely stopped up. (usually this is swelling and not just congestion) I use Afrin only for 3 days like the package recommendations! 5 minutes after Afrin, I use a steroid nasal spray, which usually take 3 days to see results. Once the steroid nasal spray is working, no longer need Afrin. I use neti pot all the while and results get better as you become less blocked up. A doctor suggested this to me and I haven't had a sinus infection in about 10 years.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Its fine to flush and infection.

Two different ways to do it:
How To Use a Neti Pot Without Danger

I would start with this tea to break things up:
Yogi Tea® Breathe Deep® -- 16 Tea Bags - www.Vitacost.com

In a cup for digestion..not the neti..lol

Old 11-11-2008, 01:26 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,887,652 times
I would try it but I would try the squeeze bottle model not the genie lamp looking model. I had my genie style one in the box forever and suffer from major allergies. I hate things up my nose but out of desperation last week I finally gave it a try and now I'm completely addicted. My son has major allergy and sinus problems and I bought the squeeze bottle model today at Walmart and had him use it and he got it down and can breathe better. I tried it after him and I like it way better than my other one. It's way less awkward to use. The thing to get down with the neti pot is the mouth breathing and getting just the right temp of water and just the right amount of salt packet in. Once you get those things down it is the most refreshing and addicting thing and you'll want to do it everyday. I was sick and was just getting worse and worse and now I'm 90% better from using that thing for the past week.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 16,294 times
I am having sinus issues, I have had a sinus infection for about 4 months now that I just cannot get rid off. I went to see an ENT and he did a CT Scan of my sinuses and they are blocked. He wanted to try antobiotics again but added a steriod with it and then redo the CT scan. Well I did that and I see him tomorrow. I don't feel any better so I know that he is going to suggest that I do the endoscopy surgery. I just want relief. I am sick all the time and the fatigue is got to be the worse part. Any one have any other suggestions for me? Has any one had the surgery?
Any information would be appreciate it.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:24 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Get more opinions on it before going the surgical route. But the steroid may give enough of a relief to let the body take back its health. I hope thats all your need.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:26 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,212,863 times
I am stuffed up all the time due to allergies. I use a product called Nasaline and I have loved it. I got it at a health food store. I forget to do it all the time but when I do it really helps. My ears keep fluid in them and after I use this I hear them pop after a bit. Mine is not the pot but a big plastic syringe. You just push it slowly and it goes from one side to the other. It really does clear me out and I can breathe so much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness