U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 07:02 AM

5,988 posts, read 9,975,731 times

Advertisements

I never had bifocals. When Dr told me I needed them, 6 yrs ago, I got progressive lenses. It took a day or two to get use to them. I would not have anything else. As we get older moving is good. Turning your head, a little, to see keeps neck bones loose
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 AM

733 posts, read 4,081,049 times
I've worn progressives for years and don't even think about moving my head instead of my eyes...it just takes a few days to get used to the change.

Now, one other caution. 1st set - adequate but just didn't seem to have quite the right arrangement to focus properly without some work. 2nd set - lousy. I kept returning to the optician until he got tired of me and I was sick of complaining and just went for a new fitting elsewhere. 3rd set - absolutely perfect! Each pair came from a different optometrist/optical dispensary.

I suspect there is some "art" involved in fitting progressives and some of these characters just aren't very good at it. When I got the 3rd set and discovered a perfect placement of the various parts of the lenses, which was about 12 years ago, I have insisted, to the point of just demanding my new prescription and walking out of the dispensary, that the lenses be set up exactly as was done in the previous pair. Find a dispensary that will take your new prescription but measure the various aspects of placement of the adjustments from your old, well-fitting progressives. That's been my secret for "visual happiness."

Old 11-12-2008, 01:14 PM

7,047 posts, read 15,990,548 times
How about driving? Does anyone here wear Progressive glasses while driving? I wore mine today for a short trip to a store. It was sort of weird since I don't have much (any) problems seeing distances. My wife's brother says he can NOT drive and wear his Progressive glasses or he will almost immediately end up in a wreck.
I think the biggest thing I will have to get use to, other than wearing these darn things, is moving my head back and forth while reading sentences on the computer or in the newspaper. I didn't have to do that with my readers because the entire lens was the same strength! BUT, it does feel really good walking around with these glasses on and not looking for a pair of readers when I have to read something on the computer or elsewhere. But, for driving, I'm not too sure about wearing them??
Any advice/comments on this?

Old 11-12-2008, 01:20 PM

34,549 posts, read 42,724,437 times
First of all, where in the heck do you get glasses for $178.00?? Maybe this is the problem. Mine are always over $500.
I've been wearing progressive lenses for years and if your life involves reading, seeing far and using a computer, they are the greatest. No problem with driving. The whole point of them is they conform to any and all seeing situations.

It only takes about a day, or less to become accustomed to them. If it takes longer than that, perhaps you need to go to a more expensive place where they know what they're doing. Obviously, a lot depends upon the technician marking the lenses correctly when you're being fitted for them.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:56 PM

The glasses total cost was $751.00, but my out-of-pocket cost was $178.00. My wife's vision insurance is paying $573.00! I was told by a lady that checked out the Vision Insurance coverage, "you definitely have good vision insurance" I'm now wearing the glasses more and more and really getting use to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
First of all, where in the heck do you get glasses for $178.00?? Maybe this is the problem. Mine are always over $500.
I've been wearing progressive lenses for years and if your life involves reading, seeing far and using a computer, they are the greatest. No problem with driving. The whole point of them is they conform to any and all seeing situations.

It only takes about a day, or less to become accustomed to them. If it takes longer than that, perhaps you need to go to a more expensive place where they know what they're doing. Obviously, a lot depends upon the technician marking the lenses correctly when you're being fitted for them.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:53 PM

One thing I have found out though: the Transition (into sunlight) on these glasses isn't as dark as my non-prescription/regular sunglasses are.
Wife likes her bifocals, but I do like these Progressives. Only way I will take them back is if my eyes continue to get tired while wearing them. If that happens in the next week, my wife wants me to get the bifocal ones and try them. She told me, "if you don't like the bifocal type, just have the eye care center put the Progressive lens back in". We will see how my eyes do this weekend. Eyes do get tired fast when I looking at the computer too long. I'm suppose to take a break anyway, after an hour or so on the computer! We will see how my eyes and these glasses get along for a few more days.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 PM

Well, here it is Tuesday evening and I've basically had no problems wearing these glasses since my last Posting. Don't think I will go to the doctor and get bifocals, these glasses are doing what they are suppose to......let me see CLEARLY!! When my eyes do get tired, I simply take them off for a few minutes and sometimes put some eyedrops in. Other than that, these glasses are pretty dang cool!!!

Old 11-18-2008, 04:13 PM

3,061 posts, read 7,297,624 times
I've never had bifocals, always had progressive and love them. It took a couple of days to get used them, but wouldn't want anything but them now.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:26 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,575,319 times
I've always had progressives and I've never liked them. They are not as easy to use as if you had regular lenses with lines. You lose your peripheral vision so when you're driving, you can't really "look out the corner of your eye". You have to actually turn your head and point your nose towards what you're trying to see. Yeah, well....not good when trying to change lanes in infamous Miami traffic.

You shouldn't get the lenses too small or the corrections will just run into each and it is very difficult to find the right spot. You need to do that automatically and not have to go through a blurry vision stage from one to the other.

The other thing you need to be careful about is going down the stairs. You basically have to stick your chin in your chest to see where you're stepping. I get a feeling of emptyness with that first step and just must hold on to the handrail.

Transition lenses are no good for driving when the sun is out. They will not darken behind the windshield.

I've got that anti-scratch, anti-glare stuff on my glasses and I'll never do that again. I'm not sure which one is causing the problem but I've never had "smudge" as frequently as I have now. I'm always having to clean the lenses.

I have contacts too for going out but I get lazy because they're distance only so I still have to carry readers, plus I don't tolerate contacts for every day use.

BTW...I use the progressives and put up with all that I don't like because I'm vain.

Good luck with your glasses LoveBoating.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:12 PM

Well, have had my glasses for two weeks tomorrow and FINALLY my eyes have adjusted to them. I can wear the glasses most of the day now without any problems. BUT, boy, the first week was like "H" and almost took the glasses back to get bifocals! Actually, a lot of things are now blurry if I have the glasses off. Once the glasses go on........EVERYTHING is totally clear!!
Thanks for all the posts concerning my Thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness