U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:36 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,380 times

Advertisements

I have read and actually tried using olive oil as a moisturizer. My skin gets very dry and it works well - but it is a bit expensive. I have light oil mix from JASON that I use as well

So my question is if I have some semi-old olive oil is it okay to use it on my skin. I have replaced it with a new bottle for cooking/food purposes and hate to waste it. It doesn't smell bad - just not as good as it did new and the flavor is lacking.

Thanks for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 02:18 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,798,088 times
Kind of messy for your clothes, bed, etc.

Used to wrap my hair in it when I was young, and sleep in it hoping to wake up with soft, luxurious hair! But that was back in the day when my sister was the only one shared my room, lol.

If you visit a health food store, you can pick up a small bottle of apricot kernal oil for about $6.00 and find it that it absorbs into the skin better and is good as a moisturizer.
Also helps to rub a little lotion on after, to help get rid of the oil sheen left behind.

I wouldn't wish to rub old or rancid oil into my skin. You should be able to smell if it's rancid at all.

Another good use for older olive oil if you don't want to waste it .. after you've cleaned your wooden cutting board .. let it dry and then slather the olive oil on both sides and edges and rub it in. It'll keep it from drying out and warping or cracking.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Kind of messy for your clothes, bed, etc.

Used to wrap my hair in it when I was young, and sleep in it hoping to wake up with soft, luxurious hair! But that was back in the day when my sister was the only one shared my room, lol.

If you visit a health food store, you can pick up a small bottle of apricot kernal oil for about $6.00 and find it that it absorbs into the skin better and is good as a moisturizer.
Also helps to rub a little lotion on after, to help get rid of the oil sheen left behind.

I wouldn't wish to rub old or rancid oil into my skin. You should be able to smell if it's rancid at all.

Another good use for older olive oil if you don't want to waste it .. after you've cleaned your wooden cutting board .. let it dry and then slather the olive oil on both sides and edges and rub it in. It'll keep it from drying out and warping or cracking.
Yes, it can get kind of messy. I usually use the oil right out of the shower and it absorbs in good. I mix it with lotion as well. I have a really good bottle of a mix of lighter oils - that has Vitamin E, Almond oil and some others I can't remember off the top of my head that is lighter already. I was just trying to figure out how to use it without wasting it.

And I already used it on my bamboo cutting boards as well. It doesn't smell bad - flavor and smell is just weakened. Moisturizing my hair with it is a good idea. A couple of years ago I was having a lot of scalp issues and found a home remedy using olive oil, rosemary, lavender and it really helped a lot.

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:11 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,509,642 times
You must smell like a salad.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:30 PM

894 posts, read 3,891,260 times
Love Coconut Oil in the winter for my very dry skin!

Old 11-11-2008, 05:39 PM

2,484 posts, read 7,900,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I was just thinking this too.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:59 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Olive oil definitely smells ;kind of a nutty smell.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:10 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,972,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasChick View Post
I have read and actually tried using olive oil as a moisturizer. My skin gets very dry and it works well - but it is a bit expensive. I have light oil mix from JASON that I use as well

So my question is if I have some semi-old olive oil is it okay to use it on my skin. I have replaced it with a new bottle for cooking/food purposes and hate to waste it. It doesn't smell bad - just not as good as it did new and the flavor is lacking.

Thanks for your feedback!
I thought i was the only crazy who rubbed Olive Oil on my skin . Since i work outside alot i get alot of sun exposure and although i tan easy it still sooths my skin from the sun and also since it's a Monounsaturate fatty acid it's stable to light and heat so it won't oxidize on your skin .

Old 11-12-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
lol

Old 11-12-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I thought i was the only crazy who rubbed Olive Oil on my skin . Since i work outside alot i get alot of sun exposure and although i tan easy it still sooths my skin from the sun and also since it's a Monounsaturate fatty acid it's stable to light and heat so it won't oxidize on your skin .
Nice to know that I am not the only one walking around smelling like a salad - it's my secret to attracting men
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness