U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:26 AM

18,371 posts, read 18,655,446 times

Advertisements

"...it's just that I can't block it out and it's all I hear when it's happening"
That's the part the others don't understand, that it maginfies way out of proportion and takes all your attention and can't be ignored.
You did read that correctly. It seems, thinking about what I experience as opposed to what you describe, perhaps the things that bother me most are those caused by people that could stop. The ticking clock, for instance,or dripping faucet, I will notice even when others don't but, once identified, can deal with.(meaning not having to actually leave the area)
So, maybe it is 'just' me, after all
Knowing how disturbing it is though, I really sympathize with you knowing it is so much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 08:38 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,482,244 times
Ticking clocks do not (usually) bother me, and neither do dripping faucets, but my shower head drips when I shut off the water to soap up, and it drives me up the wall! If I turn the shower head off, so spigot is what is dripping and not the shower head, it is not annoying. It's weird, isn't it??
I have often thought it is just my husband's noises that irritate me, but it is more than that.
This thread has been very enlightening to me.
I have blamed my condition on my Fibromyalgia Syndrome, but it may be more than that.
Another thing that annoys me to no end, is being watched. My hubby is almost always in the house anymore, and he watches my every move when I am in the same room with him. My computer is in the same room that he sets in all day..
I can't even turn my head, without him looking to see why I turned my head! But he gets mad if I look at him! ( But that is even another thread!).

old_cold, I sure can identify with your 4:48 AM post of yesterday.

And I do not 'feel' the noises. They just irritate me. Dogs barking do too, and they do not have to be nearby.
I like most bird sounds, but there are some of them that irritate me also. I enjoy the frogs, and they can get very loud ouside our house in warm weather.
Insect noises do not bother me, ( except blow flies zipping around. )

Old 11-19-2008, 08:20 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,515,351 times
I just thought I was controlling and anal retentive! This is crazy lol!! Little stupid things drive me insane too! Popping gum, mouth breathers, dripping faucets, denture clicking, doggy butt munching, I could go on and on! lol These things drive me NUTS and people think I am weird. Man oh man and they have a name for this thing eh? WOW

Old 11-20-2008, 09:51 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,146,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
I just thought I was controlling and anal retentive! This is crazy lol!! Little stupid things drive me insane too! Popping gum, mouth breathers, dripping faucets, denture clicking, doggy butt munching, I could go on and on! lol These things drive me NUTS and people think I am weird. Man oh man and they have a name for this thing eh? WOW
I don't know that everyone getting annoyed by those sounds have this disorder. All I know is that it runs in families and when it happens to me I have to leave the room or ask the person to stop.

Here is the name: This is it: Sensory Integration Dysfunction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
so some of you were close or on the money.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:08 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,146,466 times
Here's an even better link: Adolescent & Adult SPD Checklist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness