U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 89,223 times

Advertisements

Hey guys... I was reading over these and I've decided to tell my story on it. Over the past few years I've noticed that if I don't eat something as soon as I wake up .. I start to uncontrollably gag.. Doesn't seem to happen everyday, but lately it's been happening almost every other day. It usually doesn't happen when I'm at somebody else's house-when I've slept over- but it always seems to happen when I'm at home. The past 2 days I wake up, get into the shower, and while I'm showering I get that sinking feeling I'm my stomach, then when I come out, in a matter of a minute, I start gaging and feeling like I need to puke. What I've found that helps is if I drink orange juice or apple juice, or eat dry cereal, eat anything that I can grab quickly. I used to drink water slowly until I calmed down but that's stopped working- it makes me want to throw up even more. It's pretty scary and causes me to be unprepared for school in the morning. I am on medication for depression, and ADHD.. Prozac and vyvance. That was just recently that I went on these medications though- a couple moths back.. Maybe around Christmas. But this has been happening for years it seems... I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this or knows what is caused by this? Doesn't seem like there is a clear answer. Let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 06:15 PM

20,791 posts, read 41,427,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddss View Post
It usually doesn't happen when I'm at somebody else's house-when I've slept over- but it always seems to happen when I'm at home.

I am on medication for depression, and ADHD.. Prozac and vyvance. That was just recently that I went on these medications though- a couple moths back..
Sounds like carbon monoxide poisoning might be one culprit. Does anyone else in your family have these symptoms? Is your BR closest to the furnace? Especially because mine is an older furnace, I've had a carbon monoxide detector for years. This model:

New in Packaging Kidde KN-COPP-3 Nighthawk Carbon Monoxide Alarm Priced to Sell!

Otherwise, do you get enough exercise? Medication never helps - as it is metabolized through the liver. Toxic liver will create nausea, for sure.

However, because you don't have these symptoms away from home, I'm inclined to think it's an air quality issue in your home environment.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:10 PM

90 posts, read 244,686 times
When I had a job that made it so that I had to get up very early in the morning -- too early for me -- I would gag a lot while I was getting ready. I always thought it had to do with my body rebelling somehow against being too tired and up too early.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 89,835 times
Default Post nasal drip vs GERD

For some people, a morning cough with gagging may be related to gastroesophageal reflux.

In my case, that doesn't seem to be the problem. Every morning I wake up and begin to cough until I gag and sometimes dry heave. I've learned not to eat before this resolves itself. Any exertion whatsoever makes the problem worse, as attempts to walk to work or exercise in the morning leave me coughing and vomiting. Sorry to be graphic.

After a lot of investigation, I've tracked down the issue to post-nasal drip, probably due to allergies. It is normal to have a fairly large amount of mucous draining from the sinuses down the throat. It lubricates and cleans as it goes. Mine is either excessive in production or thickness and that is irritating gag/cough reflex areas that are meant to protect the airway.

There are medications that could help, but I'd rather try non-pharma answers first.
I don't like squirting things up my nose and I'm too freaked out by neti pots to do nasal irrigation except as a last resort.

I'm going to try keeping my bedroom cleaner, to reduce dust and other particulates. I'm also going to increase my fluid intake, since that will make the mucous thinner and less irritating.

I'll keep you posted if any of this helps.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 86,722 times
I have been gaging a lot lately all thru out the day and it started a cpl months ago and I can't stand it anymore.I really hope its nothing serious.I'm ready to go to the E.R. but don't know if I should or not?

Old 12-07-2014, 07:23 PM

15,140 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Sometimes people with a Hiatal Hernia regurgitate food while sleeping!

Old 01-11-2015, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 85,527 times
Default Hawking and gagging

For the past 15years I have gone through the daily process of hawking and gagging until eventually throwing up. What would start with just clearing my throat would lead to progressively get worse and worse, but even then would not stop throughout the day.

I tried homeopathy, allergy tests, thought it might be dairy, wheat, the list goes on, I even thought at one point I had a coffee or caffein allergy. Finding a solution has drove me to distraction.

Two months ago we had guests coming to stay with us for four nights, naturally I was concerned and embarrassed about. The prospect of them having to suffer through this ritual of hearing me.

Well, I was able to control it with not a hawk or bad episode each morning or throughout the day. We waived them off at the train station and walking down the platform, oops there's a couple of Hawks.

Hmmm, just a deep seated habit perhaps?

I decided to seek out a hypnotherapist in my area (Shropshire) Why not I've tried everything else? One vist cost me 36.00, after the relaxation session she even gave me a copy of the cd so I could continue the hypnosis weekly at home. I swear, in the last 4 weeks I gave only had one set back. I've listened to the each week once. Success and hawk and gagging free.

Over the years I have spent hundreds, this seems such a simple solution to me now.

If I only knew then what i know now!

I wish you much luck finding your solution........

Old 01-13-2015, 01:15 PM

637 posts, read 647,289 times
I had the same symptom for 2 years, eventually got perscribed prilosec. Take it in the morning and now I am gag free. Try it out if you don't believe me, although it depends on the reason for your gagging mine was due to excess stomach acid from the following: stress, bad eating habits(skipping meals/not eating enough), and not sleeping enough.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:03 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixicat View Post
For some people, a morning cough with gagging may be related to gastroesophageal reflux.

In my case, that doesn't seem to be the problem. Every morning I wake up and begin to cough until I gag and sometimes dry heave. I've learned not to eat before this resolves itself. Any exertion whatsoever makes the problem worse, as attempts to walk to work or exercise in the morning leave me coughing and vomiting. Sorry to be graphic.

After a lot of investigation, I've tracked down the issue to post-nasal drip, probably due to allergies. It is normal to have a fairly large amount of mucous draining from the sinuses down the throat. It lubricates and cleans as it goes. Mine is either excessive in production or thickness and that is irritating gag/cough reflex areas that are meant to protect the airway.

There are medications that could help, but I'd rather try non-pharma answers first.
I don't like squirting things up my nose and I'm too freaked out by neti pots to do nasal irrigation except as a last resort.

I'm going to try keeping my bedroom cleaner, to reduce dust and other particulates. I'm also going to increase my fluid intake, since that will make the mucous thinner and less irritating.

I'll keep you posted if any of this helps.
All good ideas

However, do NOT make the mistake I did and take Mucinex. I thought, since I was expectorating a lot of mucus, thinning it out would help. Well, guess it helped thin it out, but I had severe sinus headaches, so bad I ended up in the ER holding me heald and screaming, they gave me a shot of Demerol. Then, they asked what I was taking, I thought they would nod their heads in approval when I mentioned Mucinex, quite the opposite!

Mucines is fine for chest congestion, but not for sinus headaches. Ok, the sinus cavities are very, very tiny. When Mucinex thins out the mucus, it also increases the volume, increasing pressure inside the sinus cavities. As in my case, it can create severe pressure and pain. Since I quit the Mucines, I haven't had a sinus headache since!

Also, I read sinus congestion could be due to acid reflux. I took a 14-day pack of Prevacid, problem seems to have gone away.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 75,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie02 View Post
When I had a job that made it so that I had to get up very early in the morning -- too early for me -- I would gag a lot while I was getting ready. I always thought it had to do with my body rebelling somehow against being too tired and up too early.
I have the exact same problem. But there's no dizziness or anything. It's purely from and trhough the stomach. I do have acid reflux problems. But I'm not sure if that might be the cause, because there's no heartburn when in wake up. Just the cough-gag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness