U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 11:34 AM

467 posts, read 1,653,613 times

Advertisements

I don't know for how long this has been happening, maybe less than, or 1-2 years. Some days when I get up, I start to gag a little bit, and sometimes let out a cough along with it. I might gag once or twice before I eat, then after I eat, too, until I get into the shower a few minutes later. Maybe 5 gags or less, and a cough or two. All very dry, never producing anything.
I find that it most often happens when I'm tired and I have to force myself to get up, (usually with 6-7 hours of sleep) versus those few days when I truly get to sleep in until I wake myself up!

I'm thinking it's an esophageal thing. Which worries me because my father died a few years ago of esophageal cancer (at 49). It feels like it's occurring there, and though I do get acid reflux, (another worry) it does not feel acidic in the morning at all. The other thing I just read is maybe it has something to do with my uvula? I've always had a rather large one, and I read that it controls gag reflex.

Anyway, I do know that I should see a gastrointestinal doctor, but I am hesitant to because I have not had good luck with doctors in Manhattan at all, and I am moving in the summer. If what I'm experiencing sounds like anything to anyone, let me know, though. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 11:46 AM

1,378 posts, read 5,492,958 times
It could be allergies. I know I use to cough when my allergies started getting bad. Try taking Ester-C, it's completely cured my allergies. I know it's working because when I stop taking it, the cough comes back. Even if it's not allergies, it won't hurt you to take the Ester-C, as it's Vitamin C. I take about 5,000 to 6,000 mg. a day. Start out with about 2,000mg a day and then add more gradually if you feel it's starting to work. You won't OD on it so don't worry it's extremely safe. If you take too much you will notice you have the runs so just back off a bit. Sometimes it's just a matter of your body adjusting. It's a very inexpensive thing to try and just might save you a doctor's bill. Give it a couple of weeks. I noticed significant improvement within a week, but everyone's different. Hope tht helps.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:59 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
There could be a build up of mucus in your pipes from the heartburn. Get to your doctor about that because a "stitch in time" saying really is a big factor in that. Prop yourself up for sleeping.

Other than that..maybe you are eating lots and lots of spiders in your sleep.
;P
(lets hope not)
LOL

Old 11-16-2008, 12:04 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,602,470 times
I too gag in the morning...it's ridiculous! I can't bend my head back in the shower to rinse my hair without gagging. My sinuses are definitely draining, but only in the morning, and then I'm fine. The gagging has made me develop a stretched muscle under my tongue which feels like a lump. I'm going to try the propping up....

Old 11-17-2008, 06:30 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,713,147 times
My husband has had this--the doctor keeps telling him it's reflux---(I'm not so sure about that--he's had all the GI tests and no "acid etching" shows). His gagging is accompanied by a weird sounding cough.... It seems to be random--doesn't happen everyday.
If you find out what you have, do let us know! We've been dealing with this for a couple of years now. Very frustrating!

Old 12-08-2008, 12:05 AM

467 posts, read 1,653,613 times
I went to a GI who I love. I told her about it and she didn't seem overly concerned. I have IBS, and she said that if we can get the IBS under control, she thinks it will improve any acid problems.

I went on a raw diet the week before thanksgiving (gave it up for that and havent gone back since then.) Ever since I stopped the raw diet, which I did for 7 days, my IBS has been gone by about 90%. I also started probiotics. I've been feeling great. No stomach problems. No gagging. Very little acid reflux, and I have been taking Tums for that. It's strange, but great!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 117,081 times
My boyfeind get up in the morning starts coughing very hard that wants to make him throw up. WHY,
is that this every morning. We do have a cat in the house also. Cn it might be to many duat things in the house or in the carpet....

Old 05-06-2010, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 117,081 times
What is the best way to get a man up in the morning even that he works over nights for 11 hrs.. He has trouble getting up in the morning.. He waits for 1 hrs to get up than he goes on the couch for 1 half hours than goes takes a cold shower. I,need help getting him up in the morning any one what I,can do please help....

Old 05-06-2010, 01:30 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Could be post nasal drip. I used to do that. In fact I'd gag so much I'd throw up. My allergist said it was caused by my sinuses draining becase of my allergies.

(You haven't lived until you're at Ceasar's Palace in Vegas with friends and you're throwing up in the bushes and it's not because you're drunk. I'd suggest you see an allergist.)

Old 05-06-2010, 04:21 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,400,342 times
You CAN have reflux and not have an acid taste or problems in the lower espophagous or even heartburn.

I have LERD which is caused by reflux up into the voice box area -- it takes less acid to do more damage up there and the lower esophagous is "stronger" and not as delicate.

Why don't you go see an ENT as a doctor would really need to diagnose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness