Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:57 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times

Advertisements

If you can get it down! Yuck!
I have this head cold and my husband brought me in a shot of his whiskey and told me to drink it, that it was good medicine. He said that they used to drink it in the day, when people were sick, or hurt.
Right directly after I drank it, my nose cleared up, as before it was all stopped up..I couldn`t breathe! Maybe I better have another....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Who needs drugs manufactured by profit-crazed pharmaceutical companies when you can take advantage of what Mother Nature has provided? There's a lot to be said for alcohol's healing properties (in moderation, of course ... ). Myself, a glass of red wine eases allergy symptoms brought on by cat dander, and a shot of bourbon when I have a cold gives me a good night's sleep and mysteriously spirits all the symptoms away by the next morning.

Next time, though, bypass your taste buds by pouring it directly down the back of your throat.

Come to think of it, that's how I learned to like beer ... LOL ...

Old 11-17-2008, 11:48 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,361,986 times
Two stiff shots of hard liquor and you're killin' germs. Any more than that and you start on yourself.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:55 PM

746 posts, read 2,175,459 times
I know a hot toddy is sure to soothe a winter cold, and it tastes good too. Hot water with honey, lemon and a shot of brandy is how I make mine. Sometimes I use hot tea as the base instead of just water.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:35 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Next time, though, bypass your taste buds by pouring it directly down the back of your throat.
Bypass the taste buds???
Obviously, you are referring to the "Jim Beam" whisky class here, NOT Jack Daniels. That cures everything..after a few shots the karaoke singer sounds better, the barkeep is a sweetheart..heck, even the mother in-law aint so bad.

Eh, maybe scratch that bit about the MIL.

For a head cold, Stones Green Ginger wine w/honey, lemon, and a dash of hot water taken in bed, and allowed to sweat out, often does the trick for me. Followed by lots of sleep.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:23 AM

9 posts, read 102,437 times
i think it's not good whiskey to use for medicine. i prefer hot tea if u have cold.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:18 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
I've used the hot toddy with a sprinkle of ginger or black pepper for years. I was usually better the next morning.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:01 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Whiskey is not bad as a preventative medicine either. A couple shots a day keeps the doctor away, kind of like apples.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 90,575 times
Default Whiskey as Allergy Medicine

I became allergic to all kinds of seafood when I was 43 years old, after a lifetime of eating seafood with no problems. I was so allergic, even a Bloody Mary would cause me to break out in hives for 3 days, because they have Worcestershire Sauce in them, and Worcestershire Sauce contains anchovie juice! Only a few months into this condition, I discovered that a double shot of whiskey or cognac would make the hives go away after about 20-30 minutes, and they would stay gone until the next day except in the most severe cases. Tequilla for some reason was not as effective. Wine and beer didn't work. After about 7 years, the condition subsided, and I can now eat seafood. It is still a mystery. I use whiskey for colds and flu, too.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:28 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
When I was a kid my Grandfather owned a drugstore. That was back in the day when the druggist actually made the medicine. He also sold liquor as it was believed to have certain “medicinal properties”, but you had to have a prescription from your doctor to buy it at the pharmacy.

There were always a lot of sick people with prescriptions for “Medicinal Whisky” on Sunday when the liquor stores were closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness