U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 PM

21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbb826 View Post
Last week I went in for a bone marrow biopsy because I have had a low white count and low platelets for about a year. I have had 3 kidney stone surgeries over the past 7 months and lost a ton of blood afterwords and ended up needing a transfusion during the last one and came close to needing one the first time. Each time I was hospitalized for week due to the excessive bleeding.

Well, when my hematolagist told me that I needed to have the bone marrow biopsy, I told him that the only way I would do it is if I could be put out like the way they do for endoscopies via IV sedation. He said they don't do it that way often but he would do it. They usually do it in the office in 10 minutes but I have seen it done but I know how painful it is and I wouldnt' do it = I am a pain management patient already and know I couldn't handle the pain. I have severe pain and arthritis in my spine and have recently been diagnose with arthritis in my hip as well.

So, I got to the hospital and they did it in the out patient surgical area. When he started examining me, he said he was glad he was doing it with anesthesia because I was jumping off the table just when he was touching the area on my lower back and hip forget it when he would have tried to put a needle in there. So, they put in an IV and I didnt' even know they started and the next thing I knew I was waking up. With an endoscopy, they tell you they are injecting the stuff but this time they didnt do that - we were talking and I don't remember anything after that. It was great.

The problems started after that. I woke up the next morning in agony all over, I couldn't even walk - the pain in my knees and ankles were excrutiating and hips ever since has been unbearable. I am having trouble walking. I am using a shopping cart that I usually use for laundry to walk- the pain has been unbearable ever since.
You need to talk to your doctor. The symptoms you are having may be due to the condition that created the need for the biopsy, not the biopsy itself. It should only hurt where the actual biopsy was done.

I have not had a bone marrow biopsy, but I have had bone harvested for a graft for a fractured wrist. That required an actual incision, not just a needle. No excruciating pain afterwards.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,123,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You need to talk to your doctor. The symptoms you are having may be due to the condition that created the need for the biopsy, not the biopsy itself. It should only hurt where the actual biopsy was done.

I have not had a bone marrow biopsy, but I have had bone harvested for a graft for a fractured wrist. That required an actual incision, not just a needle. No excruciating pain afterwards.
I have never been through a bone harvest but for bone marrow they have to go very deep (I think almost to the end of the bone) and that is why 8 years later I still feel some pain from it occasionally and the doctor's aren't concerned about it when I've mentioned it. Since it doesn't last long, it makes sense that it is just a very long healing process. I hope I never have to experience it ever again. It definitely was not any fun as they normally do not sedate you at all for it.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 PM

21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I have never been through a bone harvest but for bone marrow they have to go very deep (I think almost to the end of the bone) and that is why 8 years later I still feel some pain from it occasionally and the doctor's aren't concerned about it when I've mentioned it. Since it doesn't last long, it makes sense that it is just a very long healing process. I hope I never have to experience it ever again. It definitely was not any fun as they normally do not sedate you at all for it.
OP has pain in his knees and ankles. It seems hard to relate that to a bone marrow biopsy.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 44,104 times
Default results of my bone marrow biopsy

I saw my hematologist today and the results were pretty good but a little confusing as well. At this point in time, I do not have lymphoma or leukemia which is great. I have something called pancytopenia which is basically not enough cells in my bone marrow and it is not known why. It could be due to an autoimmune disorder or it could be due to something called Myelodysplastic syndrome which infact can turn into leukemia at a future date. He still have to get the final piece of the report in the next week with certain cell markers - not sure if it is DNA or chromosomes but I see him next thursday and will find out the rest. I am kind of scared of the future will bring. The autoimmune part didn't suprise me as everything over the years has always led to autoimmune except for the fact that I am ANA and RF negative. I have arthritis all over my body and am only 49 - it started in my mid 30;s, so autoimmune wouldnt suprise me but I also have so much medically going on that there must be something more serious going on too. IT really scares me. I have had 15 surgeries in the past 10 years and am sick all the time. I am doing all the reading I can so I can ask him next week. He told me he thinks the pain in my hips and back might be that he hit my sciatic nerve when doing the biopsy but he said if not better next week, we will check it out and the other joints might just be an exacerbation of my fibromyalgia from the anestetia - they are better now - just the hips are terrible, walking with a walker. Hope this doesnt happen to anyone else

Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim22 View Post
Hi,
I had a bone biopsy in June 2008 due to a ( high platelet count).
I was ok till 3 weeks later and the pain in my hip over the biopsy site was unbearable.
I went to the local hospital and they were unable to diagnose the reason .
I didn't have a temperature and the symptoms gradually went after a few weeks..
I now have the symptoms back again.
Has anyone had the problem before following this procedure ? or is anyone aware or heard of this before.
Would appreciate any views thanks..Mim
Quote:
Last week I went in for a bone marrow biopsy because I have had a low white count and low platelets for about a year. I have had 3 kidney stone surgeries over the past 7 months and lost a ton of blood afterwords and ended up needing a transfusion during the last one and came close to needing one the first time. Each time I was hospitalized for week due to the excessive bleeding.

Well, when my hematolagist told me that I needed to have the bone marrow biopsy, I told him that the only way I would do it is if I could be put out like the way they do for endoscopies via IV sedation. He said they don't do it that way often but he would do it. They usually do it in the office in 10 minutes but I have seen it done but I know how painful it is and I wouldnt' do it = I am a pain management patient already and know I couldn't handle the pain. I have severe pain and arthritis in my spine and have recently been diagnose with arthritis in my hip as well.

So, I got to the hospital and they did it in the out patient surgical area. When he started examining me, he said he was glad he was doing it with anesthesia because I was jumping off the table just when he was touching the area on my lower back and hip forget it when he would have tried to put a needle in there. So, they put in an IV and I didnt' even know they started and the next thing I knew I was waking up. With an endoscopy, they tell you they are injecting the stuff but this time they didnt do that - we were talking and I don't remember anything after that. It was great.

The problems started after that. I woke up the next morning in agony all over, I couldn't even walk - the pain in my knees and ankles were excrutiating and hips ever since has been unbearable. I am having trouble walking. I am using a shopping cart that I usually use for laundry to walk- the pain has been unbearable ever since.
It would be best for you to start your own thread; the issues are confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
OP has pain in his knees and ankles. It seems hard to relate that to a bone marrow biopsy.
OP is not the poster complaining of pain in his knees and ankles and hips. The pain in rbb826's hip (where the biopsy was taken from) could very well be because of the biopsy. I think rbb826 needs to start a new thread so we are not confusing 2 issues.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 PM

5 posts, read 44,104 times
sorry, I am new here and cant find find where you go to to make a new thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
sorry, I am new here and cant find find where you go to to make a new thread
There is a button to click on the left side of the screen directly across from the page numbers called "New Thread" on the main Health/Wellness page. You'll find it if you look around closer and welcome to the forum!

Old 04-13-2013, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,974 times
My bone marrow biopsy was three weeks ago. The procedure was not painful and I felt no pain until 5 days after the procedure. After a yoga class my biopsy site started to ache and the pain became very intense that night (7 - 8 on a scale of 1 - 10). It has hurt off and on ever since. The worse pain is at night. Ibuprofen does not help at all. Is there a pain reliever that I should try? It seems to be worse when I exercise, but I don't want to stop doing that! I am 66.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mema303 View Post
My bone marrow biopsy was three weeks ago. The procedure was not painful and I felt no pain until 5 days after the procedure. After a yoga class my biopsy site started to ache and the pain became very intense that night (7 - 8 on a scale of 1 - 10). It has hurt off and on ever since. The worse pain is at night. Ibuprofen does not help at all. Is there a pain reliever that I should try? It seems to be worse when I exercise, but I don't want to stop doing that! I am 66.
Sorry to hear that you are having complications. If OTC pain relievers did not help the pain, I would call the MD who did the procedure for advice. I would also avoid Yoga or other strenuous or stretching activity, until your doctor says it's alright.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 AM

59 posts, read 59,991 times
I had a friend who tried to have one but he said the pain was so intense he jumped from the bed with the needle still attached. He said there's no way he can do it now because the pain is so awful. He says that in the scale of 1 to 10, it's easly a 12. Never through such pain could exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness