U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,523 times

Advertisements

I have MS, and facilitate a monthly support group here in Seattle, Washington. If you have MS, or know anyone who does, I can help you plug in to information, via mail, internet, or phone. Our support group is part of a larger organization called MS Helping Hands (MSHH), and we also have a program called the Donor Closet, which is for anyone, not just someone with MS, that is a huge 'recycled' assistive device/equipment program, where you can get anything from a cane to a walker, to a wheelchair, etc., etc.. There is a website to access a current list of items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 01:22 PM

1,075 posts, read 3,245,881 times
ms world is a good site also, lots of stuff in there, good message board.

http://www.msworld.org/html/ (broken link)

Old 03-01-2007, 11:51 PM

131 posts, read 449,740 times
lorihamilton,

To what degree do you have MS? Has it gotten worse since your diagnosis? How long have you had it? What were your first symptoms and what made you go to see a doctor?

Old 03-02-2007, 06:50 AM

10,017 posts, read 17,018,187 times
My mom has MS been dealing with it for atleast 7 years now. She takes a shot once a month and has some issues with her left eye.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,131 times
hi my name is bryce, I live in Bremerton WA would like to know more about MS groups and help in the Bremerton area. I am looking for support and some help.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,131 times
I do not know to what degree it is, all I know was a over a year ago I was able to camp and hike and now I use a wheel chair most days, and if not I always use a walker. I am not able to stand long any more and now have a care giver as I am not able to do most of my own cleaning or cooking and personal items.

As for my first symptoms that sent me to a doctor, it was over a year ago when my head felt like it wieghted over 100 pounds, it turns out it is not my head but the weakness in my neck that is the isue. Weakness in my hands and feet came next. Not really my feet but my ankles my feet do not lift up right and I think they call it drop foot or something like that. I will be getting my leg brace tomorrow, which I am told will help. As for my wrist I can no longer turn a can opener or open a jar or turn my door knob. I am now waiting also for a power chair. WHen I can walk it talks me to long to get from point A to B and when I get there I am ready to lay down because I am very tired.

I am sorry I have not respond to this but I had forgotten all about this site. I also have major memory issues.

Thanks for being patient with me.

Also to the lady in Seattle how do I reach you?

Bryce

Old 03-20-2008, 10:19 AM

13,140 posts, read 36,729,704 times
She hasn't posted on here since feb 2007 so i'm not sure if she still visits city data Bryce......

We know it's autoimmune which is almost always inflammatory so look up Anti-inflamamtory fats like the Omega-3 Fatty Acids Fish Oils and Flax oils/seeds and spices like Tumeric and Ginger. Also alot of research on diet connection with MS like ''Leaky Gut'' do to grains/gluten intolerence or too many Omega-6 Fatty Acid oils in baked product foods that promote inflammation etc...Anyway that's just a few tips to pass along to ya.

Here's a good site which might help also.
This Is MS | Unbiased Multiple Sclerosis Research, News, and Community

Old 03-20-2008, 10:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,472,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
She hasn't posted on here since feb 2007 so i'm not sure if she still visits city data Bryce......

We know it's autoimmune which is almost always inflammatory so look up Anti-inflamamtory fats like the Omega-3 Fatty Acids Fish Oils and Flax oils/seeds and spices like Tumeric and Ginger. Also alot of research on diet connection with MS like ''Leaky Gut'' do to grains/gluten intolerence or too many Omega-6 Fatty Acid oils in baked product foods that promote inflammation etc...Anyway that's just a few tips to pass along to ya.

Here's a good site which might help also.
This Is MS | Unbiased Multiple Sclerosis Research, News, and Community
The immune system attacks the myelin (outer coating on the nerves) during an inflammation breaking through the myelin and causing scaring which causes the nerves to "misfire". The disease affects the brain and spinal chord. It is autoimmune and also has a genetic component in some cases. Removing all saturated fats from the diet has been shown to have some positive effects. The research of Dr Roy Swank has been very beneficial to a lot of patients.

The Swank MS Diet - a low-fat diet for the treatment of MS

Vitamin B injections can also be beneficial on top of whatever treatment therapy recommended by a neurologist.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:14 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,644,203 times
Default Anyone with Transverse myelitis first?

I was wondering if anyone diagnosed with MS was first diagnosed with TM? I was diagnosed with TM almost 2 years ago but many of my symptoms never went away (lesion is at c4, spinal cord fluid showed <5 o bands, initial sickness 5 months before went numb from waist down, but no brain lesion). While my leg doesn't collapse like it did, I still get symptoms that come and go with varying severity. My skin sensitivity seemed to get better for awhile and then came back. I last saw my doctor when I was released to go back to work (was losing disability and couldn't live on just my hubs salary) and even though I was still having issues he didn't order any further MRI's to see what had changed in the 10 months between initial diagnosis and release. I also was told by my initial doctor that I was making up my symptoms. I finally saw a physicians assistant that recognized my symptoms were real and serious. He thought it might be neuropathy so he sent me for tests. But, this was after living with the symptoms for over 5 months. ANyway, just curious if anyone had the TM diagnosis and later got the MS diagnosis.

thanks!
Jill

Old 03-20-2008, 12:20 PM

13,140 posts, read 36,729,704 times
Jillz....you said your doc thought you had neuropathy? Did they do a EMG and NCV testing of your nerves to check for neuropathy...

Hmm.....TM looks just like MS so how is it diagnosed different. Is it suppose to be temporary kinda like Guillen Barre and then go away where as MS stays with you. Is that about right as to what i'm thinking here Jillz.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness