U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:39 PM

989 posts, read 3,073,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
Just wanted to say sorry about your accident and I hope you have a smooth recovery from surgery.
Thank you. Im doing great. Much easier than I had figured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLaRue View Post
I had surgery 9-08 and I wish you all the best. The hardest part for me has been the loss of my independence. I, too, love to ride my horses and at middle age had just started competing for the first time in my life and had it all taken away.
The best peice of advice I can give you is to be very proactive in your post surgery care as you are doing now. I WISH I had gotten on-line to find information as provided here. I am almost 3 months post surgery and am in more pain now than prior to surgery. I had several small tears that were repaired, the bursa removed and subacromial decompression. I did not start PT until almost 4 weeks post surgery. Because of this I am on-line today looking for possible answers as to why I am not further along. I am beginning to feel that frozen shoulder has set in and I have a long recovery ahead.
My post surgery pain was really not that bad. I only took the hydrocodone because my husband basically force fed it to me. I had more ROM in the few weeks after surgery than I do now. So, please consult with a PT asap. Currently, I am taking ibuprofen and darvocets prior to PT (3x/week) along with daily exercises 3-5 times per day. Oh yes and ice and heat are my best friends. What I am also searching for is to know how much I should push myself during PT. I have dealt with 3 different licensed PT's and find they each have a different answer. Any advice here would be well appreciated. Do I only do the stretch until I feel uncomfortable or do I push through the pain and go with the "no pain no gain" theory. I really do want my life back. I am beginning to feel as if something was dropped into my shoulder during surgery.
Im very sorry to hear that. Bummer! I go to get the stitches out tomorrow so I will know more then but so far this surgery has been one of my easiest ones. I hope mine turns out. Good luck with yours.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 AM

93 posts, read 362,756 times
Hi, reading your posts because I'm trying to figure out how long I'll be out of work when I have the surgery. I'm an executive assistant so I need to be able to type....does anyone have an idea how long the usual time is from work?

Thanks in advance

Old 12-23-2008, 05:20 PM

I was typing at 4 days. I think you are to be in the sling for 6 weeks though-- I took mine off at 4 days I hated it. I am at about two weeks now and mine feels great. No lifting or anything but there is no pain at all.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:07 PM

21 posts, read 65,750 times
I still have problems with my surgery I had on sept 29 2008, I am now having some nerve problems, tylenol number three has been my best bet so far for pain along with soma

Old 12-26-2008, 09:22 PM

406 posts, read 1,174,416 times
i have permanent nerve damage in my shoulder from surgery. after i raise my arm for whatever reason, my shoulder twitches pretty violently until i put it back down. good luck.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:51 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,479,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
i have permanent nerve damage in my shoulder from surgery. after i raise my arm for whatever reason, my shoulder twitches pretty violently until i put it back down. good luck.
It seems I too ended up with some severe nerve issues from labrum surgery a few months ago. Everytime I reach out for something it feels as though someone stabbed me with an icepick. Never would have considered surgery if I knew then what I know now.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:29 PM

406 posts, read 1,174,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It seems I too ended up with some severe nerve issues from labrum surgery a few months ago. Everytime I reach out for something it feels as though someone stabbed me with an icepick. Never would have considered surgery if I knew then what I know now.
those pains went away for me pretty quick. i had about 4 months where i couldn't really raise my arm above shoulder height. now the pains are gone, but i still can't really raise my arm for an extended period of time without having it shake uncontrollably.

i am still active, and weight training has helped a bit, but every now and then, it will just give out. out of nowhere. i have the same problem with my leg which i broke a few times, and finally had to get a steel plate and pins in. imagine hiking along the chinese wall cliff in bob marshall and your leg just deciding to fail to support you with no warning...

it may be just me, but my injuries all seem to go this way.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

jimj I think yours will go away, if its only been that long you are still healing. Some soft tissue surgeries/injuries take up to a year. give it a little more time.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:08 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,479,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
jimj I think yours will go away, if its only been that long you are still healing. Some soft tissue surgeries/injuries take up to a year. give it a little more time.
I appreciate the good words! It's been 7 or 8 months now and this pain came on after about the 3rd month. The PT person thinks there's something wrong so she sent me back to the doc who agreed since I've got great ROM so he gave me another MRI. He wants to go back in and see what's up but I have to wait until next June before my heart doc will allow it. I went from 0 pain to frozen shoulder to pretty good ROM but sharp pain. Hopefully y'all are right and it will cure itself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness