U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 05:54 PM

989 posts, read 3,072,828 times

Advertisements

Well god luck with it. I didnt know how many people had shoulder trouble until I had it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 12:43 PM

38 posts, read 131,579 times
AQHA: I didn't either until I came across this today. My PT has me using this multi use shoulder pulley and it has been good for my shoulder, I too am afraid of frozen shoulder setting in. Good luck with your healing process.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

I saw a guy at the gym today who had this same surgery. His did not turn out well (it locked up). I am amazed at how many people do not get good results with this surgery.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:50 PM

93 posts, read 362,679 times
I decided to go ahead with my surgery because I feel I need it done before I move from CA to FL. The economy doesn't help, plus I can get enough on disability for 3 months to support myself. My medical care will be unfamiliar in Florida because I'll have to switch to Blue Shield, which I don't have now. I understand that if I don't get this done, the tear could get worse. There are a couple other things going on with my shoulder, I have a bone spur that needs to be removed, plus the acromion needs to be shaved and a big deposit of calcium has to come out. After the calcium is out, the tendon under it will be repaired. My other shoulder is now clicking, plus one of my finger's joints is slipping. I'm falling apart.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:28 PM

21 posts, read 65,750 times
A good thing to have is AFLAC it helps supplement the income and take the sting away

Old 01-03-2009, 07:37 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Thanks for the kind words.

I saw a guy at the gym today who had this same surgery. His did not turn out well (it locked up). I am amazed at how many people do not get good results with this surgery.
I'm amazed as well. I was also truely shocked to find out that the docs (at least the ones I talked to) don't expect you to ever get back to "normal" which is how you were before surgery with respect to ROM. After my surgery I asked a couple PT people and a couple doc's when I'd be able to move my shoulder like before the operation and when I'd get back all the strength/rom in my shoulder and was told that the shoulder is a very complex part and is the only part of the body totally supported and held in place by muscle and cartilage (not bone) and it also is the only part that can move in almost any direction so once you injure it and it's repaired it will never be the same again and most get varying degrees of "normal" but almost no one gets it all back. It's funny though, none of them indicated the residual pain issues that I'm finding are more common as I talk with more people. In my unscientific study I've come to find the younger you are (like below 25 yrs old) the better odds you have of no pain/good rom and once you hit the 40's odds are it ain't gonna be pretty. Heck just take a look at all the stories on slaptear.com

Old 01-07-2009, 03:38 PM

Well Im 40 so I hope I can still get mine to recover. I would just like to be able to throw my saddle over the horse without pain and loss of strength. I don't even dare go to the web site you put up, Im afraid it will get me discouraged. So far (knock on wood) this thing has been easy and painless. I hope my recovery continues and the ROM will return.

One think I was very surprised at is that the doctor said I will never be able to do push ups again-- sorry to be so blunt but this really sucks! I have done my push ups every day since I was 12 years old and started building my strength for junior high school wrestling. Im too young to be old!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:46 PM

93 posts, read 362,679 times
I hate to say it, but after reading many posts on Slaptear, I decided to postpone my surgery, maybe indefinitely. Since I'll be unemployed on March 31st, I just couldn't stand the thought of sitting at home possibly in pain, and thinking about no money coming in - and the posts in Slaptear ARE very alarming. Some people suffer tremendously after the surgery with pain, and I'm really not feeling bad enough to go through all that trauma. I've been doing shoulder exercises and I'm going to physical therapy on Friday for the first time, to get their opinion. I understand that 50% of all rotator cuff tears can be managed with exercises and surgery isn't needed.

AQHA, I really recommend that you do some reading on Slaptear. There is a very knowledgeable physical therapist who is active on it, and she just had rotator cuff surgery so she speaks from first-hand experience. I am so glad I heard about it, otherwise I'd be going into surgery in March, with an unknown recovery period.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:14 PM

158 posts, read 1,017,916 times
Default Rotator Cuff Problems!!!

My husband had shoulder surgery the end of Oct. It was suppose to be a 2 hr. surgery but was almost 4. The rotator cuff was very damaged and difficult to repair. About a month later, he developed a redness and puffiness in the area. The Dr. put him on antibiotics and a drainage thing, tried this for 2 weeks, then went back to surgery. They think maybe he had a reaction to the material used for stitches, or the mesh product they used to repair and hold things together, so they went in to clean out the junk and scar tissue and removed the stitched and most of the mesh that had not adhered to what it was suppose to. We were bummed about the setback, but he is just now beginning to be able to have more mobility. It's been about 3 weeks since the 2nd surgery, and yesterday the redness and a puffy bump appeared again! He went in, the the Dr. was out, but the PA thought he would need to go into surgery again! They will take out the rest of the mesh since they just don't know what could be causing the problems. This will be another HUGE setback. Now we're thinking, he will be lucky if he can use his arm this summer! The Dr. was highly recommended.....
Has anyone heard of this complication? How long has your recovery been from this surgery? Any advise?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times
AQHA, I can relate to what you're saying there's things I'd like to be able to still do like shovel snow off my walkway and wash my hair without pain and yes it does suck! I'm hoping it'll get better and the only reason I went to slaptear was to find out what others were going through, what realistically I might expect and to filter the bulls*** my doc was trying to feed me since he was telling me everything will be milk and honey...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness