U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,509,761 times

Advertisements

I went ahead and moved your post into Health in Wellness...
Just wanted to say I left a permanent link to it via Montana forum as well..
I thought you might generate more replies by moving it into the health and wellness forum...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 PM

93 posts, read 362,756 times
Ah, thank you!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 PM

93 posts, read 362,756 times
nd4me, I just found out about a great site called slaptear.com - take a look. I was all set to have rotator cuff surgery about the time I get laid off in March, then after reading the posts on there I decided not to have the surgery after all. In my case it just isn't worth it because my shoulder isn't really bothering me that much, and you know how surgeons are - they love to cut.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband - what a nightmare! I really don't know what to tell you. Perhaps you can get some input on slaptear. Please let us know how he does.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 67,329 times
Default My Recent Rotator Cuff Surgery Experience

I am so glad I had the surgery!!! Yes, I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder on November 24th, 2008. I am a 32 yr old woman who tore my cuff 3 years ago with an impact injury and then continued to worsen the condition by kayaking, golfing, etc. For some time I was told that I had bursitis and was given repeated cortisone injections, which never helped. It was not until September 2008 that my first MRI revealed the tear.

My tear was so painful it got to the point where I could not sleep, golf, and eventually, I could not move my arm more than 1/2 inch...nothing. I was miserable. I had read online some real horror stories about the surgery, but my pain was intolerable, so I reasearched surgeons and went through with it. Follow this advice, and you should be good to go:

1.) Research and look for word of mouth referrals for a great surgeon for rotator cuff tears. Go to the gym or a physical herapy center and ask about their opinions.

2.) Pick a caretaker who can live with you and take care of you around the clock for at 1 week. If you have kids, send them away! I know it sounds mean, but I could not take care of my 10 year old. She had to go stay with my father while I was convalescing. You'll need peace and quiet while you recover.

3.) Prepare a pain mangement plan: A positive attitude and Good pain management will make the difference between a bearable experience and living in hell. Just read some people's psot-op stories on the internet. For surgery, ask for general anesthesia with a nerve block in your neck. I know, it sounds scary, but it is divine, and really is not dangerous. They told me the nerve block would last 1-2 days and that I would not need any pain pills. WRONG--just 2 hours after I left the outpatient center at teh hospital, the nerve block wore off and I needed those pain pills. Everyone's body and chemistry is different. Make sure you plan for that. Pain mgmt is the most important part of any recovery. I come from a family of doctors and nurses and I've done my research on this. Also, make sure you have prescriptions for at least 1 week for strong meds like oxycodone. Also, some drugs work for some people and not others. If the pain arrives even after taking morphine or codeine, try switching to a different prescription. My sister has no pain control with morphine...I gues our chemistry all differs a bit.

Also, get a prescription for anti-nausea pills to take with the pain pills...last thing you want is to throw up after surgery. And, stock up on Advil, but use it judiciously. You don't want an ulcer or lvier problems.

4.) Take your pills on schedule without fail, even in the middle of the night.

5.) Get a comfy chair to sleep in, b/c you'll be in it for at least 3 weeks. You CAN'T lie flat on your back after this surgery. That made me want to cry. All I wanted to do was sleep in my bed, but it just can't happen. No amount of pillows and blankets and wedges helped. It took me 4 weeks to get into bed. This is a rule. Get a comfy chair, rent one, or buy one. A recliner works best.

6.) Don't shower for 2-3 days. I know-gross-but my doctor told me not to shower for 3 days post-op...but on day 2 after the surgery, I got undressed, got into the shower and went crazy from the pain. You really need to keep your arm immobilized in your sling...way beyond painful.

7.) Set out a week's worth of clothes that are easy to get on. Sweat pants and button-up shirts. Otherwise, you are asking for pain and problems.

8.)Tell work to leave you alone...plan on taking the week off...more time off if you can. You'll need it.

9.) Ask about Continuous Passive Motion or CPM. This can be done directly after surgery to prevent the build up of scar tissue. I was not given this options and after 6 weeks of physical therapy I now I have to have a procedure where I am put under anesthesia and the doctor manually yanks my arm to rip the scar tissue-very scared about this!

10.) Plan on doing your physical therapy...all of it...with a physical therapist. I know it's expensive and time consuming, but you have to do it. You can't possibly know how to do these moves, and if you did, no one would inflict such pain on themselves. Did you see Castaway with Tom Hanks when he had to use a rock to knock out his infected tooth? OK, then you've got my point! And remember, you know it's working when it hurts!

Also... regarding the pain pills...
And make sure they give you at least 1-2 weeks worth of pills. I took 2 oxycodone every 4-6 hours with an anti-naseau and with every other dosage I took 3 Advil. Now I must admit I am not one to take any pills EVER, but you will want these suckers. AND don't let the doctors or nurses treat you like a drug addict. They'll hand out pills like candy to some people, but lo and behold, you have surgery and they become prudent in the prescription writing...They tried to give me 2 days worth and I freaked out on them...I drove them crazy until they gave me 6 days worth. Most docs will tell you to take these for 1-2 weeks.

Also, I had my mother, a nurse, stay with me for a week. She set her alarm every 4-6 hours to give me my pain killers because you can't miss the dosages, even when you are sleeping, or you'll fall behind on your pain plan. ONCE that pain kicks in, it's very hard to play catch up. TRUST ME on this one!

There are soooo many things that I wish I had asked and researched prior to surgery. Like pain management. BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE---or bring someone with you who can advocate on your behalf. My surgeon was a good surgeon technically, but lacked the ability to clearly explain any of the after effects of surgery, including pain management, etc. You must ask questions until you understand all of the answers.

Of course my doctor told me he would give me pain mgmt drugs during and after the surgery, but be careful to make sure that happens. Despite having met with an anestehsiologist for 20 minutes prior to surgery and negotiating my surgery meds and post-op prescription preferences, my ortho-surgeon--according to teh surgical nurse-- actually forgot to write a script for me. I am one who likes to plan ahead and called days before the surgery to request a prescription and fill it so that it would be ready when I came home after surgery. No Go...his staff said these were narcotics and I could not have a script until I was discharged from the hospital.

And by the way, I have no pain any longer, unless I carry/lift things or stretch or move in ways that I should not. I have a lot of mobility back, but scar tissue (adhesions) developed, so I can't move my arm over my head. This the reason for the post-op procedure.

Here's a link to a book that helped. I wish you the best of luck...I am so glad I had the surgery!!!

http://www.tcomn.com/images/wmimages..._Tear_Book.pdf

Old 02-21-2009, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 13,720 times
Default Need info and help

Thanks sel529 - Your post has me more prepared than anything else I have read. I just had a total right knee replacement in July and now on the 27th I am having right shoulder rotator cuff surgery. I tore my shoulder up last spring break digging up a shrub, but had my knee to contend with so put the shoulder off until the pain continued to worsen. I forget what it is like not to be in pain. I can't imagine more pain than the knee replacement, but I seem to be having more anxiety aobut this surgery. The thought of not being able to use my right arm is scary. What do people do to keep busy and stop from going out of their mind with boredom when you have no use of your right arm? How can you even read, if you can't hold a book? At least after my knee surgery I could hobble over to the computer, read a book, play with my camera, etc. You mentioned sweatpants and botton shirts, but how do you button them? All these silly things have me full of anxiety. I am a Middle School Office Supervisor and my doctor said I can probably go back to work in a month. How realistic is that? Any info regarding recuperation will really help.

My surgery is on a Friday and my husband will be home with me for the weekend, but I planned on being along come Monday. Should I tell him to take a couple more days off of work?

Thanks in advance.
YAMA

Old 02-22-2009, 01:34 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,903,124 times
I had 2 rotator cuff surgeries-------1991, left shoulder, 1999 right shoulder.

I had a job that involved heavy lifting and physical work

I was off work 3 months with the first surgery and 5 months with the 2nd.
Both were severe cases and were fixed with "cutting" rather than orthoscopic surgery.

I was very dillegent about doing my therapy and worked hard at it, but discovered the 2 operations were different, thus recovery was much different.

With the first, I noticed steady improvement daily by doing my 4 a day workouts. This kept me upbeat.

The second was a totally different matter. I worked hard at therapy and could see no day to day results. It seemed I could only see slight improvement on a week by week basis. I will admit depression was setting in .

Even after 5 months, the shoulder wasn't where I wanted it, but it kept improving month after month.

Today, (seven years later and at age 63) I can still lift weights as always and have no limitations of movement of either shoulder.

Hang in there, do the therapy, and sometimes time is a healer also.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:09 AM

5 posts, read 67,329 times
Default Rotator cuff surgery (Post-Op)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMA View Post
Thanks sel529 - Your post has me more prepared than anything else I have read. I just had a total right knee replacement in July and now on the 27th I am having right shoulder rotator cuff surgery. I tore my shoulder up last spring break digging up a shrub, but had my knee to contend with so put the shoulder off until the pain continued to worsen. I forget what it is like not to be in pain. I can't imagine more pain than the knee replacement, but I seem to be having more anxiety aobut this surgery. The thought of not being able to use my right arm is scary. What do people do to keep busy and stop from going out of their mind with boredom when you have no use of your right arm? How can you even read, if you can't hold a book? At least after my knee surgery I could hobble over to the computer, read a book, play with my camera, etc. You mentioned sweatpants and botton shirts, but how do you button them? All these silly things have me full of anxiety. I am a Middle School Office Supervisor and my doctor said I can probably go back to work in a month. How realistic is that? Any info regarding recuperation will really help.

My surgery is on a Friday and my husband will be home with me for the weekend, but I planned on being along come Monday. Should I tell him to take a couple more days off of work?

Thanks in advance.
YAMA

YAMA,

I hope your surgery went well; I wish you the ebst during your recovery process. The first 3 months are the most critical.

In response to your post, I have to tell you for the first 6 days I was pretty heavily sedated and did not really think about being bored. I slept in my chair, sat and talked with friends and family, watched TV here and there a bit, and read magazines. I was able to hold the magazine (or book) with my right hand and flip the pages with the left hand. With regard to teh buttons on the shirt, I had my mother help dress me for the first day or two, but I was able to button shorts and just insisted on getting back to normal as fast as I could.

After about 5 days post-op, I was up and moving around my house. I am a writer/web designer, so I write for a living. After surgery, I worked from home for 2 weeks, but had to slowly type with my left hand. It was definitely a slow start.

Also, what really helped was my commitment to exercise. About a month before my surgery, I started going to the gym on the Navy base where I work and met with a personal trainer. I told her about my surgery plans and started a workout regimen a month in advance to get ready for the operation. Even though I could not exercise my arm or shoulder prior to surgery, I thought it was a good idea to start building core muscles and general (all over) strength before my surgery. It also really helped improve pre-op mood. We set goals about things I would try to do by the summer of 2009, such as swimming a lap, golfing 9 holes, etc. The trainer called to check on me and encourage me through the surgery and recovery. That exercise and encouragement helped a great deal.

Two weeks after surgery, I went to the gym and did 20-30 minutes on the elliptical 2-3 days a week, and then I followed that up with the leg machines, jsut doing what I could without causing pain. I did this 2-3 days a week, also. On the other days I went to physical therapy. After 6 weeks of physical therapy, I stopped due to my work schedule and the mounding costs. I was at a good place to end the PT.

I continued going to the gym 4-5 days a week for another 6 weeks or so, and started doing some pretty heavy workouts. For 3 days a week, I did 1 hour of cardio, and another 2 days a week, I did 1/2 hour of cardio followed with 1.5 hours of personal training session with my standard physical therapy exercises included in that time. In total, I went to the gym regularly for 4 months.

I stopped going to the gym about 3 weeks ago, due to work-related travel, family responsibilities, etc. As a result, I have noticed that my shoulder has started to weaken a bit and grow sore. I talked to a doctor about it and he said it was sore because it needed to be regularly stretched and stregthened until it fully recovered, in about a year from the original surgery date. So, I am now heading back to the gym this week to begin therapy and core workouts 2-3 days a week, along with my goal of running 2-3 miles a day (5 days a week).

Exercise is a great way of lifting your energy levels and your spirits after surgery. I think I would have grown very tired and depressed if I had not exercised immediately after surgery. Also, take care of yourself. Start taking walks, get your hair done, buy books and magazines, have friends over for lunch, clean your house, just do what you can to get up and around and be around people. Write emails to friends and catch up with calling people you have not talked to for a while.

Also, take this time to plan things out for the rest of the year. Health goals, professional goals, etc. I felt really reinvigorated by doing this and it gave me a focus to help me work hard towards healing.

Naturally, there are many variables involved in the healing process...the severity of your injury, your body's current health status, your own rate of healing, and the medical care you receive. I do believe, however, that a positive attitude with great determination and will power can carry each of us through by remaining upbeat and focused on goals in the future.

Again, I wish you the very best of luck in your recovery!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 13,573 times
Default Rotator cuff SX 3 weeks ago

Rotator cuff surgery.... (pain, exercises, sports, surgeon)

I had rotator cuff surgery, with labrum repair and subacromial decompression 3 weeks ago today. (I had debridement surgery on the same shoulder 2 years ago.)

The first 4 days were more painful than I had expected. I did have a nerve block, which lasted about 12 hours after surgery, but after it came out I took my percocets regularly throughout the night and morning. I was only given 12, which lasted me a day. What was my surgeon thinking? So I made an appointment and did receive 4 more days worth from my family doctor. Definitely needed it.

After the first 4 days the pain started to get a little better and I then switched to Tylenol 3 on day 6 which my surgeon had given me a prescription for. I saw slight improvement the first and second week, but by the 3 week that constant aching went as long as I didn't move my arm. Even sleeping got better by the 3rd week. I still need about 2-3 pillows to prop myself up, but I can roll on my unaffected side with a pillow propped between my surgical arm and my body and stay there for about 20 minutes or so. It’s such a nice change.

I am still in a sling for another 3 weeks. Total 6 weeks, but I do admit I take my sling off when I sit on the couch and prop my arm on a feather pillow. Works. Nice break from the sling. I started passive exercises on day one of my surgery as instructed by my surgeon and after 3 weeks he instructed me to start raising my arm above my head passively by using my other arm to lift it. No physio until 6 weeks. I know this healing will take at least 6 months, so I will be patient and take things slowly until then. I am a nurse, so I won't be working for a few months for sure.

I believe if you push everything too quickly you will only make things worse. It takes 6-12 months for the bone and tendon to heal properly, so why push it earlier.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:31 PM

55 posts, read 222,614 times
Default another rotator cuff repair that did'nt heal

On november 18, 2008 I had a rotator cuff tear "repaired" it was (so they say) a major tear.For the next 6 weeks I had my arm in a sling, then started therapy 2 times a day from jan. 8 till apr. 2 when I did'nt go to therapy I did them at home twice a day and never missed a day.
Now 4 months later I can only raise my arm not quite as hi as my shoulder.
I went to see the doctor, he said it did'nt heal and thats about all your going to get out of it.
I don't have any pain at all, but I'm so disgusted I can't see straight.
Does anyone on this forum have an experence like this or is it just me?

Thanks for your time.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:08 PM

2,549 posts, read 4,284,938 times
My Mom may be having to have the rotator cuff repaired. Her Dr told her to plan on being out of commission for at least 6 months.
What about a 2nd opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness