U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 06:02 PM

2,144 posts, read 2,803,179 times

Advertisements

I had the same experience...very sorry I even tried to get it fixed. And it still causes me a lot of trouble after all that pain, expense and incapacitation. I had heard that the sports med orthopedist was the best in the DC area...well, couldn't prove it by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 06:29 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
I have a military injury that is just the same. I could accept the move,mnet limitation about 3/4 high but with age mine as gotten to be very painful if I strain it. Basically old injuries get worse with age.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:36 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,124,276 times
I just got back from the Orthopedic. Seven weeks ago I dislocated my shoulder and although that is ok, I tore my rotator cuff. I guess it's 4 muscles and I tore 1. The doc said we can try PT for a month, if it doesn't help, we should talk about surgery. This will never heal, but it could be strengthened. Any comments?

Old 07-16-2009, 05:53 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,144,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I just got back from the Orthopedic. Seven weeks ago I dislocated my shoulder and although that is ok, I tore my rotator cuff. I guess it's 4 muscles and I tore 1. The doc said we can try PT for a month, if it doesn't help, we should talk about surgery. This will never heal, but it could be strengthened. Any comments?
PT will not repair a torn rotator cuff...only surgery will. The extent to which you regain your full range of motion depends on how diligent you are with PT after the surgery. PT post surgery is painful, but it is temporary. The limit on your range of motion is forever and once you allow that shoulder to freeze some, rehab if at all effective, is even more difficult and painful than the one right after surgery.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,903,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydog1 View Post
On november 18, 2008 I had a rotator cuff tear "repaired" it was (so they say) a major tear.For the next 6 weeks I had my arm in a sling, then started therapy 2 times a day from jan. 8 till apr. 2 when I did'nt go to therapy I did them at home twice a day and never missed a day.
Now 4 months later I can only raise my arm not quite as hi as my shoulder.
I went to see the doctor, he said it did'nt heal and thats about all your going to get out of it.
I don't have any pain at all, but I'm so disgusted I can't see straight.
Does anyone on this forum have an experence like this or is it just me?

Thanks for your time.
I had 2 major rotator cuff surgeries done ( right and left arm)

The doctor said it was very possible my movement would be limited,but I regained full movement in both arms.

I would have to question the long delay in starting therapy. My 2nd surgery ( right shoulder) was an old injury and the surgeon one of the hardest ones he had done ( I was off work for 5 months compared to 3 months with my earlier left shoulder )

However, despite wanting to keep my arm imobilized, the doctor felt we had to start light therapy after 2 weeks to prevent--" freeze up"--due to my age (54 at the time)

I don't know if part of my successfull recovery was due to the fact I had a hard physical job and weightlifted all my life.

I also was very dillegent in doing my PT when at home.
As the therapist said,-----" you are off work. Treat the therapy as your new fulltime job"

Despite everything I stated-------the recovery time was totally different between the 2 surgeries and the PT was taking a mental toll on me due to the slow progress of showing improvement.

I wish you well and sympathize -------but I probly can't offer specific advice since every 2 injuries,every 2 surgeries, every 2 outcomes are not the same.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 PM

55 posts, read 222,696 times
Quote:
On november 18, 2008 I had a rotator cuff tear "repaired" it was (so they say) a major tear.For the next 6 weeks I had my arm in a sling, then started therapy 2 times a day from jan. 8 till apr. 2 when I did'nt go to therapy I did them at home twice a day and never missed a day.
I went to see the doctor, he said it did'nt heal and thats about all your going to get out of it.

Thanks for your time.
I still do my PT about 3 times a week, hoping my rom will come back but I think I'm just wasting my time. Today I had pain in my left shoulder so bad I almost cryed(man it hurt) I could hardly close the door on the car. Also
every time I move my arm my shoulder pops and snaps.
I'm going to see one more doctor in 3 weeks, and hope for the best.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,968 times
Default bstangs

Quote:

Thanks for your time.
yes I had the sergury done the same shoulder twice and the same doctor in memphis Tn. Best, he missed three spots the first time and did it over Four months later I can barley lift my arm. I went back to the Clinic that wrote the book on orthopedics and the doctor gave me a script for a 15 mgs of a dangerous anti imflamitory somthing cam I really dont remember the name because I through it in the trash after learning the bad side effects. He handed it to me and said come back to see me in two months. I was told he may of done this do to the fact I took a different Ins. on the assumption he took the ins., to later on find out it was a mistake. It wasnt about me , but the money and how long he could keep me in his care , because of the changes in the health care system. If a doctor will spend less than 15 min. and only hear your worst problem and have you come back over and over is bleeding the ins. and your pocket. This is one reason I think ins. is so high. I think the system needs to be rid of these type drains on the system. They help make the people in need of help look bad. Spend two $ verses ten$ and get the same results. Im fed up with these doctors. I was told after the sergury I would of been better off doing Physical therapy.We are talking about all togeather 2 rotator cuff and a bone removel of the ankle, finger sergury and a cervical block all in the nieborhood of $62,000.00 then blown off.

Last edited by bstangs; 12-16-2009 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: respell and missing letters

Old 12-16-2009, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,968 times
Default bstangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Some of you might recall I scattered myself all over the bottom of a cliff in a snow machine wreck up in Alaska last spring. I spent a month in the hospital in Anchorage, then most of the summer in a wheelchair. Well the legs are nearly healed so now its time to get the shoulder rotator cuff repaired. The surgery is schedule for December 4th.

Anyone had a rotator cuff surgery? How long did it take to get motion and strength back? How long before I can hit the pool?
They told me 8 month but no promises. I had two sense may of 2008 and still can hardly move my arm.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:29 AM

2 posts, read 5,148 times
had operation for a rotator cuff tear but found out they could not repair . consultant said the tear was two big two repair, what will the outcome be. also still having difficulty raising my shoulder

Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,148 times
had operation for a rotator cuff tear but could not repair , tear was two big .still finding it hard two raise my arm, will this get any better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness