U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,123,453 times

Advertisements

I fell last May and dislocated my shoulder. This evidently created a rotator cuff tear, or 2. The dislocation was very painful, but the tear not to bad although I have limited use of my arm. I went for therapy but it seemed to aggravate things. It's been 9 mos and I'm a righty, right shoulder, so found just letting it heel and light use is the best. I do not want to go through an operation that is not guaranteed, especially after reading horror stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheadabovewater View Post
nd4me, I just found out about a great site called slaptear.com - take a look. I was all set to have rotator cuff surgery about the time I get laid off in March, then after reading the posts on there I decided not to have the surgery after all. In my case it just isn't worth it because my shoulder isn't really bothering me that much, and you know how surgeons are - they love to cut.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband - what a nightmare! I really don't know what to tell you. Perhaps you can get some input on slaptear. Please let us know how he does.
I also decided not to have the surgery.

I fell last May and dislocated my shoulder. This evidently created a rotator cuff tear, or 2. The dislocation was very painful, but the tear not to bad although I have limited use of my arm. I went for therapy but it seemed to aggravate things. It's been 9 mos and I'm a righty, right shoulder, so found just letting it heel and light use is the best. I do not want to go through an operation that is not guaranteed, especially after reading horror stories.
I know this thread is old but would like to get some comments about this.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,095 times
I am scared to death, been hurting since last August. It has gotten very worse. I can't sleep on it at all now and it hurts to brush my hair and get dressed. Putting a bra on is a cryfest. I have had 3 shots in the joint itself. They lasted about 3 weeks each. I have to have surgery. i can't miss work. I work at Subway as a manager. I think I can do my job after surgery, but I am not sure. Help me decide. The pain is unbearable. Getting stiff more everyday.
Shelia

Old 02-28-2010, 05:18 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,486,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmurp69 View Post
I am scared to death, been hurting since last August. It has gotten very worse. I can't sleep on it at all now and it hurts to brush my hair and get dressed. Putting a bra on is a cryfest. I have had 3 shots in the joint itself. They lasted about 3 weeks each. I have to have surgery. i can't miss work. I work at Subway as a manager. I think I can do my job after surgery, but I am not sure. Help me decide. The pain is unbearable. Getting stiff more everyday.
Shelia
I just had shoulder surgery, not for rotator cuff, but to rebuild the shoulder and a shaddered clavicle. I wonít say it was not painful, and they had me on drugs for three days, but after the third days I did OK on over the counter pain killers. I was going back to work in a sling after one week, and out of the sling after two months. My luck was to have someone drive for me as I couldnít drive for several weeks.
I think you have already answered your question when you said the pain was unbearable. Shoulders are filled with nerves, and it wonít get better on its own. In my case they feared I would damage the nerves and I could lose the use of my arm and hand. I waited four months after my accident to have my repair work done while other parts healed, and wish I had insisted it be repaired on the day of my accident. Today two months out of surgery I can see a normal life and full use of my arm is just around the corner. I recognize the days I missed from work were needed and know today I am able to do my job much better than when I was hurting all the time. I am still in PT (actually just started last week) but each session brings me back to my old self. It was all worth the surgery.
Bottom line is if you canít sleep, and you hurt all the time, than the quality of your life is not what it should be, and no job is worth having to sleep in a chair the rest of your life. Bite the bullet and get it fixed, than go find a better job with the new and improved arm.
Good luck and hang in there.

For the surgery I only missed a week at work. The sling was a problem, but if you are hurting now I suspect you are avoiding the use of your arm even now.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:10 PM

5,891 posts, read 11,084,703 times
I've been having pain at least since the holidays in my left arm and upper back on left. Have gone for massage therapy several times, and I do get some relief, but it's not lasting, and sometimes the pain is almost unbearable. It never felt like the pain was in my shoulder, but she said my shoulder is involved. Just yesterday, the therapist told me she thought I might have a tear in the rotator cuff and suggested I get an MRI. For those of you who've had this problem and the surgery, is an MRI the only test they use to help determine the extent of the damage, or do they do x-rays and other types of tests as well?

I can't imagine living with this as is, but the thought of having the surgery terrifies me too -- especially if there's no guarantee it will be greatly improved afterwards.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:26 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,486,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I've been having pain at least since the holidays in my left arm and upper back on left. Have gone for massage therapy several times, and I do get some relief, but it's not lasting, and sometimes the pain is almost unbearable. It never felt like the pain was in my shoulder, but she said my shoulder is involved. Just yesterday, the therapist told me she thought I might have a tear in the rotator cuff and suggested I get an MRI. For those of you who've had this problem and the surgery, is an MRI the only test they use to help determine the extent of the damage, or do they do x-rays and other types of tests as well?

I can't imagine living with this as is, but the thought of having the surgery terrifies me too -- especially if there's no guarantee it will be greatly improved afterwards.

Donít let the surgery scare you. I had reconstruction of the shoulder after an accident, and within three days after surgery I was off the strong pain killers, within a few weeks I felt like new with little of no pain and no over the counter pain killers most days. They wonít let you do much for a few months in my case, but once PT starts the improvements are fast. It hurt a lot more prior to surgery than after the repair.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Donít let the surgery scare you. I had reconstruction of the shoulder after an accident, and within three days after surgery I was off the strong pain killers, within a few weeks I felt like new with little of no pain and no over the counter pain killers most days. They wonít let you do much for a few months in my case, but once PT starts the improvements are fast. It hurt a lot more prior to surgery than after the repair.

Thank you for that. It is somewhat reassuring after some of the horror stories I've been reading. I will at least look into how bad the damage is and see what it suggested. After a horrible night's sleep (mostly in my recliner as bed was just too painful) and some heat treatment, I'm a little better this morning but am so ready for this pain to be over.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post

I had X Rays before seeing the Orthopedic Doctor but was tols I had to get an MRI which I didn't like. Althought I was onlt half way in I don't like confined spaces nor the deafing noise. It's like torture for me.

I don't have pain, only when I overdo it with activity, that I get spasms. It does seem I'm getting more use, even w/o therapy. I don't work and I am older so I can live with a bit of limited use with no pain.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 AM

Here in the Greenville area, we have an excellent ortho and sports medicine clinic, and I was blessed to get a referral from an acquaintance to an excellent surgeon specializing in shoulder injuries. Went for the first time yesterday. Had x-rays, then he tested my strength and range of motion, gave me some kind of shot, waited a few minutes, and tested me again.

He was concerned that I still felt pain after the shot and decided to send me for an MRI sooner rather than later. I was very fortunate that there was a cancellation today at the open MRI center. Never had one before and didn't want to deal with possible claustrophobia. The noise level will be bad enough and having to lay flat for that long.

Scheduled to meet with PTs next Monday to set up a program. Praying that surgery won't be necessary, but too soon to tell. I was such a baby when the doc told me he was going to give me a shot in my shoulder. I can only imagine how I'd be in post-op recovery or the anxiety I would feel in the days leading up to the operation. But if I thought it was worth it to get my life back and not live in daily pain, I'm willing to do just about anything.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:17 PM

9,863 posts, read 5,777,142 times
Default If it's just tendonitis, why does it hurt so much?

Originally thought that I may have had a rotator cuff tear but the MRI ruled that out. If it's just tendonitis and non-speciific effusion, then why does it hurt SO much to reach out with my arm? Both shoulders still pop but my right one pinches at the very top and I feel pain in and around my elbow like I banged it on the desk. Not the 'funny bone' sensation/tingling .
When the morning alarm clock goes off, I can barely stretch out my arm to 'snooze' a bit longer or shut it off. Sometimes when I forget and I do reach, my whol e arm recoils. I've been taking Aleve off and on for the times when the aches seem a bit too much to bear. I try to hold off 'cuz I really don't like the idea of taking pills. I hear so much of how extended use can mess up one's stomach or liver, depending on whether it's the Tylenol or Aleve or Motrin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness