Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times

Advertisements

Great news! Haven't heard ALL the details from the ortho doc yet, but was at the chiropractor yesterday and got him to follow up and get the results of my MRI so I could know sooner rather than later. There is no tear in the rotator cuff but definitely other issues like tendonitis, arthritis, etc. He said PT and probably a series of shots is the way to go toward healing. Meeting with the PT folks on Monday to set up the schedule. Already feeling better after the shot I got in my shoulder on Monday. I'm assuming it was cortisone. How long do the effects of a shot like that last? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 08:02 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
Great news! Haven't heard ALL the details from the ortho doc yet, but was at the chiropractor yesterday and got him to follow up and get the results of my MRI so I could know sooner rather than later. There is no tear in the rotator cuff but definitely other issues like tendonitis, arthritis, etc. He said PT and probably a series of shots is the way to go toward healing. Meeting with the PT folks on Monday to set up the schedule. Already feeling better after the shot I got in my shoulder on Monday. I'm assuming it was cortisone. How long do the effects of a shot like that last? Anyone know?
Good to hear that it wasn't a rotator cuff tear requiring surgery and PT.
Is PT really an option for tendonitis ? I may have missed that part when the doctor was talking to me, but I did hear fairly clear that PT was involved when rotator cuff surgery was done. My doctor did mention those cortisone shots. I did some reading on that and found that it's just like putting a bandaid on a boo-boo. No real cure. You only get 3 or 4 shots per year. Then read risk of possible infection and/or further damage to the area as a result of the needle going into the muscle. Certainly wouldn't hope that on anyone. Rainy, cold days like today seems to make it hurt, so much more though ...rrrggghhh Right now it definitely feels like some one stabbed me in the shoulder with a dull needle and kept it there

Old 03-27-2010, 01:23 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Good to hear that it wasn't a rotator cuff tear requiring surgery and PT.
Is PT really an option for tendonitis ? I may have missed that part when the doctor was talking to me, but I did hear fairly clear that PT was involved when rotator cuff surgery was done. My doctor did mention those cortisone shots. I did some reading on that and found that it's just like putting a bandaid on a boo-boo. No real cure. You only get 3 or 4 shots per year. Then read risk of possible infection and/or further damage to the area as a result of the needle going into the muscle. Certainly wouldn't hope that on anyone. Rainy, cold days like today seems to make it hurt, so much more though ...rrrggghhh Right now it definitely feels like some one stabbed me in the shoulder with a dull needle and kept it there
Mind you, I have not gotten all the details of what the issues are from my ortho doc. That was just the initial word from the chiropractor, who didn't want me to have to wait until after Easter to find out whether there was a tear or not.

According to the chiropractor, PT will help. The shot certainly has helped me. I've felt a bit of pain now and then, but I really have been feeling like a whole new woman, sleeping well and everything.

I know they can only do 3 or 4 shots. It's because the cortisone causes damage to the soft tissue.

I'm assuming that PT is going to be very painful, and I'll likely be icing myself a lot. Thank goodness, though, our weather is warming up. I know what you mean about the cold (also damp) days making the pain worse.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,889 times
I had rotator cuff surgery on July 19, 2011 and am now (7-31-11) having a lot of swelling in my arm and hand. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:56 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad shoulder 2 View Post
I had rotator cuff surgery on July 19, 2011 and am now (7-31-11) having a lot of swelling in my arm and hand. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice.
I hope things get better for you. I had my accident over 2 yrs ago and never went for surgery. I have limited use of my arm but no pain and I can function ok but I decline the surgery. Hope you feel better!

Old 07-31-2011, 11:41 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Some of you might recall I scattered myself all over the bottom of a cliff in a snow machine wreck up in Alaska last spring. I spent a month in the hospital in Anchorage, then most of the summer in a wheelchair. Well the legs are nearly healed so now its time to get the shoulder rotator cuff repaired. The surgery is schedule for December 4th.

Anyone had a rotator cuff surgery? How long did it take to get motion and strength back? How long before I can hit the pool?
Yes, had rotator cuff surgery, repair the cuff, fish out two tendons, the physical therapy afterward was horrible, I am retired by injury from the state, I used to work in a state run mental hospital in Butner, N.C. I can not get my left arm over my head which means I can not defend myself without hurting the patient. I can tell rain, three days out.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,495 times
Default Surgery 7-11-2011

I had a complete tear and an almost complete tear of two tendons of my rotator cuff. I fell hard playing hockey. Had the surgery 7-11-2011, four weeks ago and started PT two weeks ago. Had adverse reactions to oxycodone(percoset) and am now relying on Tylenol during the day and ibuprofen and Tramadol at night. PT has been painful during the assisted stretches. The pain during the day is easily tolerated, at night is when it is difficult to sleep. Would love to hear what pain killers others may be using to help them sleep.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:44 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Hello, long story short. Injured my shoulder in the Navy while operating a hand crank hydraulic pump (spinning a handle in a circle as fast as possible) to get our generator started. That was in 1995. They wouldn't do an MRI and neither would the VA. I am in the VA system and have an appointment soon because it's getting worse. When moving my arm, there is a loud popping and grinding in the front part of the shoulder. Changes in the weather makes this worse. I get some relief with two Aleve pills. Work in a hospital boiler room, similar to my Navy job of machinist mate. Have to be healthy to care for wife with spinal problems and her 85 year old dad who lives with us and is on home oxygen. Any advice or tips to deal with this would be appreciated.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
That pain killer effects alot of people. It made mefeel like I was burnig up besides kind of off my head. Hyrocondone works well for me;especailly with a shopulder injury I suffered in military.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Hello, long story short. Injured my shoulder in the Navy while operating a hand crank hydraulic pump (spinning a handle in a circle as fast as possible) to get our generator started. That was in 1995. They wouldn't do an MRI and neither would the VA. I am in the VA system and have an appointment soon because it's getting worse. When moving my arm, there is a loud popping and grinding in the front part of the shoulder. Changes in the weather makes this worse. I get some relief with two Aleve pills. Work in a hospital boiler room, similar to my Navy job of machinist mate. Have to be healthy to care for wife with spinal problems and her 85 year old dad who lives with us and is on home oxygen. Any advice or tips to deal with this would be appreciated.
First off ICE it when you can. As for pain control, depends on a couple of things. 1.no matter what narcotic pain control you use you will be in a fog for a bit until/if you get used to it.
2.If you take narcotics for pain control without treating the underlying condition you run the real risk of addiction, I probably don't need to tell ya what kind of bit^% that is.
As Texdav said hydrocodone (Vicodin) worked very well (for me) and is cheap but addictive.
Right after shoulder surgery they had me on Dilaudid and Fentanyl (seperately) which they told me are shorter acting with less chance of addiction.
3. Didn't see a bed for months, slept in my recliner.
4.I'm guessing when you finally see an orhto doc they will pop you under a fluoroscope and inject dye into the joint to see what's up, they did mine twice due to popping after surgery.
Don't let 'em put you off for too long. I'm told the longer this goes on the more damage you do to it.
There is a whole forum dedicated to shoulder surgery, do a search for it.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness