Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:36 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,337 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if anyone has ever experianced anything like this,or heard of it? I have had a "spot" on my right eye,which started out as I'd see a dark dot when I would look at a wall,read a book,etc., now there seems to be a squiggly little line coming out of the dot,if that makes any sense--? We don't have health insurance,and money is really tight,so I haven't been able to go to the dr. to get it checked out. Anyone have any clue what it might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 06:20 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,498,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Was wondering if anyone has ever experianced anything like this,or heard of it? I have had a "spot" on my right eye,which started out as I'd see a dark dot when I would look at a wall,read a book,etc., now there seems to be a squiggly little line coming out of the dot,if that makes any sense--? We don't have health insurance,and money is really tight,so I haven't been able to go to the dr. to get it checked out. Anyone have any clue what it might be?
Not that I know anything but it could be what is known as a 'floatie' and not particularly wanting to put the frighteners into you I would urge you to have it looked at as some of these can have serious consequences. Don't know if yours is a 'floatie' or if it has the potential to have a serious outcome but you probably should have someone look at it to play it safe. I get them occasionally, as I guess most people do, but mine are not too noticable and are not long lasting so have never worried about them. If yours appears more obvious then this could be a sign of something untoward occurring, and to be frank, it could have the potential to cost you the sight in that eye due to 'detatchment of the retina'. I'm only saying this as several months ago a relative of mine was either given the wrong diagnosis or he left it too late and it cost him the sight in that eye. See what other responses you get to your question I suppose.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:57 AM

467 posts, read 1,890,438 times
Where on your eye is it located? The white part (conjunctiva), the iris?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:51 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Sounds like a floater. Very common, nothing to do for them, harmless.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 AM

Are floaters fixed in the same spot,and last for years?

Old 11-25-2008, 11:58 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
They can be fixed if they're still attached to the retina, but more commonly they move. I've had mine for 30+ years.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:01 PM

428 posts, read 1,630,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Are floaters fixed in the same spot,and last for years?
As far as I know, floaters move (otherwise why would they be called "floaters"?), and you don't have the same one in the same location. Floaters are due to tiny things like red blood cells or irregularities in the vitreous fluid within the eyeball, and when you move your eye they float through the fluid.

Whatever you have, it does not sound like a floater. A blind spot in the visual field is called a scotoma. It could be nothing serious, but if it is extending, it needs looking at pronto. I would go to an opthalmologist and have it looked at as soon as possible. Unless you want to risk your vision, have it checked first and worry about the cost later.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:17 PM

This is the same one in the same location,it is off to the left and down,say at about 8 'O Clock or so if I look straight ahead. Started as a little dot,years ago, and I did have it looked at back then,but the dr couldn't see anything. Wanted to send me to an opthamoligist but I never went,can't remember why. Now it looks like a dot w/ a tail,like a little tadpole,maybe?
Have been trying to find a dr that will see me w/out insurance,most want upwards of $50 just for the office visit up front,and we just don't have it right now. My husband's work is shutting down from Dec. 19th to Jan.5 and we are living paycheck to paycheck as it is. W/ 3 kids & I stay home w/ the baby who has cerebral palsy,things are REALLY tight.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:05 PM

822 posts, read 3,001,836 times
Maybe try an emergency room? The last time I took my daughter (we thought her nose was broken), then didn't even ask about insurance until the appointment was over. I have had some serious retinal problems - transient monocular blindness, retinal bleeding, floaters, ocular migraine. Initially it sounded like you were describing a floater, but after your additional history, it's not clear. I once told my father (who had had a retinal detachment) that going to a doctor one particular day wasn't convenient and he gave me a tough love "it's your choice to go blind". I wouldn't say it's that urgent if you've had this a long time, but eyes are never something to ignore, in my experience.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:01 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Harmless, I've had them in my eyes for 40 years now
and I see an Opthamologists on a regular basis for other things, and he assured me that this is nothing that I have to be
concerned about, don't worry, just google the symptoms and John Hopkins or some site will help you understand what you should be concerned about
Don't make a habit of asking lay people for medical advice, you have some very negative people that will have you too scared to go to sleep. Sure when you are able eto get this checked out, by all means do so.
But 99% of the time these are benign little things like pigment...
Don't worry, more than one Opthamologists examined me and told me the same thing. because I always try and get a second opinion and a third one if i don't feel at ease with a thing
Rest well, it's going to be okay, the worst thing about these "floaters" are more annoying than anything else.
Google it though, so you can feel more at ease with a medical expert's advice on it.
God Bless you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness