Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:11 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times

Advertisements

Try a good, long hot shower! and take some tylenol sinus. also, open your mouth, really wide to help pop your ear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 02:22 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
If it is behind the eardrum It has to be dried up by taking something like Mucinex which is guaifenesin which Dr's give to kids and adults to dry it up before it went OTC.
I would worry about drying it up so a infection does not begin.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:02 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
My left ear has felt "congested" for a few days now, and I'm having a tough time hearing out of it. You know the feeling that you get sometimes after a long flight? That's how it feels. Yet I can't seem to fix the problem! Any suggestions on how to clear it out?
Did you have an upper respiratory tract infection or an allergy issue a few days before that? Were you on a plane recently or somehow had an altitude change recently?

As someone else said, a decongestant is probably your best bet. Sudafed is a great example. If this doesn't clear within a week, you should really see an ENT (ear,nose,and throat dr), or you run the risk of an infection. The longer this goes, the more uncomfortable (and expensive) the treatment can be. You should feel either a gradual "release" of pressure, or you'll hear/feel the "pop" in a few days. Oh, and cut out the dairy temporarily.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,209 times
Default Ear congestion

I am just getting over my congested ears and wanted to post so I can help people going through the same thing! I had a cold and then had an ear infection which cleared up on its own, but then had fluid (congestion) in my ears. Get the Sudafed that is behind the pharmacy counter. You'll have to show ID. Within two days my ears were feeling so much better! I'm on my fifth day of taking it and I'm almost completely better. Also, my vision was blurry due to the fluid in my ears, so that's common too.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
You can get a serious infection in your brain from those neti pot things also, go to the Doctor and get something for your ears. That is generally the quickest way to get things cleared up.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
My left ear has felt "congested" for a few days now, and I'm having a tough time hearing out of it. You know the feeling that you get sometimes after a long flight? That's how it feels. Yet I can't seem to fix the problem! Any suggestions on how to clear it out?
Probably wax buildup. It happens. Try flushing it with a dilution of glycerin soap (we use Bonner's concentrate -- and just a few drops in a cup of warm -- not hot -- water). You can use a syringe, but just trickle it in your ear (with your head over a sink or basin) and afterward, rinse with clear warm water, dry with a towel. Follow by a rinse with straight isoprophyl alcohol. Then, shake your head vigorously, lean over so your ear is pointing to the floor, and gently tug on the outer flesh of the ear. (This stretches out the canal.)

Do NOT pack the ear.

If you've tried this a few times and it still doesn't clear, see your doctor.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
I normally lean crunchy... using alternative/herbal/holistic remedies for most ailments. (I practically grew up at Whole Foods Market in Texas, one of the original stores back when Whole Foods was still very granola...)

However, I just wanted to suggest, on this old resurrected thread, - when it comes to ears: do yourself a favor and go to the doctor.

And ear candling is a scam. It's risky even to try it as wax might even drip into your ears if you're not careful. We sold so many of those things at Whole Foods back in the 90's... total bunk.

And I agree about the neti pots, too. They can be dangerous if they are not kept sterile and the water used is not distilled or filtered correctly.

Just go to the doctor.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
A strip mall hearing aid shop is competent to go in there an pop out an obstructing accumulation of earwax, which sounds like what you've got. They'll do it no charge, if they think they can convince you to buy a hearing aid.

If they see something that they are not medically competent to address, they won't do it, and will refer you to a doctor.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You can get a serious infection in your brain from those neti pot things also, go to the Doctor and get something for your ears. That is generally the quickest way to get things cleared up.
Only if you do not keep the neti pot clean and don't use sterile saline solution. They are perfectly safe when used properly, the trouble is unhygenic practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness