U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-08-2008, 03:15 PM

3,400 posts, read 4,424,142 times
Default Keeping the Fat At Bay

So,its the holidays...and time for my favorite thing in the whole wide world....Sweets, bread, and hot chocolate.

So to keep from weighing 190lbs, Ive been walking around alot, and jogging twice around a track every two days or so, and Ive been trying to balance out what I eat.

The track is one of those where you have to go around it 5 times to make it a mile.

So what do ya'll think? Can I keep the Chunky monster away like this? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-08-2008, 03:18 PM

46,717 posts, read 41,122,839 times
dear friend
i looked at your profile you are young. i think you can do it.
when you get my age it gets rough. i had to do the kaiser permanente semi fast to get it off.
1 modest meal a day and 3 cans of slimfast, brutal but effective.

Unread 12-08-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dear friend
i looked at your profile you are young. i think you can do it.
when you get my age it gets rough. i had to do the kaiser permanente semi fast to get it off.
1 modest meal a day and 3 cans of slimfast, brutal but effective.
Slimfast?!
EEEEEEWWWW!!! That stuff is awful!

Unread 12-08-2008, 06:02 PM

46,717 posts, read 41,122,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Slimfast?!
EEEEEEWWWW!!! That stuff is awful!
yes you will fall down clutching your throat.
you will lose all interest in food. it works.
like i said brutal but effective, its a russian thing.

Unread 12-08-2008, 06:12 PM

2,387 posts, read 6,058,603 times
Eat smaller portions. Don't snack. Exercise!
You can do it1

Unread 12-08-2008, 08:04 PM

5,503 posts, read 12,687,792 times
Quote:
So,its the holidays...and time for my favorite thing in the whole wide world....Sweets, bread, and hot chocolate.

So to keep from weighing 190lbs, Ive been walking around alot, and jogging twice around a track every two days or so, and Ive been trying to balance out what I eat.

The track is one of those where you have to go around it 5 times to make it a mile.

So what do ya'll think? Can I keep the Chunky monster away like this? Any advice?
You need to stop eating the sweets. The holidays are not an excuse to eat all that you want. And you can't counteract that by walking a mile every so often. One mile only burns off about 100 calories, which is half a choc chip cookie. So make healthy choices when you eat. Enjoy your deserts on Christmas or maybe a party, but run, run, run from office junk food.

Unread 12-08-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
You need to stop eating the sweets. The holidays are not an excuse to eat all that you want. And you can't counteract that by walking a mile every so often. One mile only burns off about 100 calories, which is half a choc chip cookie. So make healthy choices when you eat. Enjoy your deserts on Christmas or maybe a party, but run, run, run from office junk food.

Office? lol
What office? I work in a grocery store, in which (ironically) Ive no time to eat save for my one break. My job demands almost constant movement doing/pushing one thing or another.

If I ate all I wanted, the Bakery department would be making much more money. We had a sale on cheesecakes last week...and I didnt eat more than 2 bites of a co-workers piece.....
lol Ive been limiting myself to 1-2 of the smaller kind of cookies a day..and I hate chocolate chip! lmao
Wonder what the calories are in a sugar or oatmeal cookie??

*goes to ask almighty Google*

Does anybody else attempt to picture their favorite foods as something disgusting to avoid eating it?

Unread 12-09-2008, 07:50 AM

2,157 posts, read 4,861,478 times
Make wiser food choices. Bargin with yourself... "If I eat this, I can't have that!". Stuff yourself with fruit and veggies. Make your own food from scratch so you can control what is in what you are eating. Cut out carb or limit the intake of them. Soda's are a BIG NO NO! I found that the more carbs I take in, the hungrier I will be the next day.

In the last 3 years, I have lost 45 pounds just making better choices and cooking from sctratch. Eating as I have been has become a habit now and I enjoy what I eat so much that I could stay on my self imposed diet forever, except that I have lost 5 more pounds that I wanted to and am having a problem not loosing more wight.

I only eat when I am hungry now and only eat enough to take the edge off of my appitite, then I stop. "Eat to live, not live to eat!"

Unread 12-09-2008, 08:26 AM

Good for you, Laura! Congratulations.
The soda thing isnt a problem. I dont drink them at all, and never have. The carbonation hurts my mouth.

But...I dont cook.Ever. Period. Its a waste of time and money to me.
I eat all my fruits and veggies raw, and if I want meat then I'll buy a fresh rotisserie chicken from our deli...or grab some sushi.

Ive been trying out roller-blading with the dog. Now THAT is a workout! lol

Unread 12-09-2008, 08:52 AM

5,019 posts, read 8,251,301 times
Quote:

I would bump the jogging up to 6 days per week (aim for 6, but be happy with 5, I know the Holidays can be busy). Distance doesn't matter as much as time. Be sure that you are out there for at least 30 minutes. You can mix your jogging with walking if you cannot run for 30 min straight.

Either go to the gym or get some inexpensive free weights and add a simple weight-lifting workout 2-3X per week. Plenty of tutorials on-line, or books/dvds at your public library. Lean muscle burns more calories than fat.

Stay hydrated (plenty of water, no soda) and keep healthy snacks such as fruit and vegggies on hand during the day.

Choose your battles wisely. If you know you have three parties this weekend, eat lightly and healfully through out the work week. Is Aunt Janie's fudge your favorite thing in the world? Skip a few cookies and "save" calories to indulge in what you truly enjoy.

Make activity part of your Holiday celebrations. Hot chocolate and cookies, great. But why not add a winter hike or an ice skating component to your yearly cookie swap? Push back the furniture, roll up the rugs, crank up the iPod and make everyone dance before they get their eggnog on.

Last edited by plaidmom; 12-09-2008 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness