Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:32 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times

Advertisements

I have developed a problem swallowing pills. Even just two asprins. I always have to eat something after I swallow pills to "push" them on down. Anyone else have this problem. How do you cope with it. Does it get worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 07:37 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,165 times
I've had this problem my whole life. I usually put a whole lot of water in my mouth and throw my head back, then swallow. I only take one pill at a time and when it's big, I cut it in half. It also helps to place the pill all the way in the back of your mouth.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
I'm with MommyV on this. I hate taking pills, I have a really hard time taking more than one at a time, anything bigger than say a Motrin or Tylenol. You really do just have to toss the pills in, take a giant gulp of water, swish around and swallow. It will be very easy. I had been taking vitamins and instead of breaking them up throughout the day, I'd just swallow the lot of them and that got real old, real quick.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:33 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Cut a small piece of banana and bury the pill in there. It is easier to swallow the banana since it's mushy and soft. Just try not to get too big of a piece or you may choke. The banana trick is also good if you have accidentally swallowed a fish bone. Provided it is not stuck in throat tissue, a banana carries it down to your stomach!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:07 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,148 times
Would juice or something tasty opposed to water help?

Sometimes, when I'm into the vitamins, I get tired of swallowing them also, and find they go down a lot easier with orange juice or a smoothie or something.

If you don't mind the taste of flax seed oil, quite good actually and good for you, helps if you take a spoonful of that first .. coats your throat and the pills tend to slide down better.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:18 PM

Sometimes, I try to brainwash myself into thinking there's nothing in my mouth and drink like I usually do, but that's easier said than done. Also, I never buy any over-the counter pills that aren't coated and the Advil brand actually tastes a bit sweet, so that helps.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:22 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Last Friday, I had to go for a screening colonoscopy. Anybody that had to go through this knows that not only are they going to starve you, you have to take purging meds to clean you out so nothing in there can me misinterpreted as a polyp. Well, the night before the procedure, I had to take 4 tablets of these huge horsepills, non-coated, with 8 oz of water EVERY 15 minutes, starting at 6 pm. So 4 at 6, another 4 at 6:15, and so forth until 7. That's 20 pills altogether. Next day, the rest of the 12 started at 6 am! Talk about water boarding!!!! I just had to concentrate, shove the pill as far back in my throat without gagging, and take large gulps. But man oh man, you get so full of water, that just the thought you'd have to do it again in 15 minutes is just well...TORTURE!

I couldn't do the banana trick with this one since I was off solids since noon of Thursday!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Last Friday, I had to go for a screening colonoscopy. Anybody that had to go through this knows that not only are they going to starve you, you have to take purging meds to clean you out so nothing in there can me misinterpreted as a polyp. Well, the night before the procedure, I had to take 4 tablets of these huge horsepills, non-coated, with 8 oz of water EVERY 15 minutes, starting at 6 pm. So 4 at 6, another 4 at 6:15, and so forth until 7. That's 20 pills altogether. Next day, the rest of the 12 started at 6 am! Talk about water boarding!!!! I just had to concentrate, shove the pill as far back in my throat without gagging, and take large gulps. But man oh man, you get so full of water, that just the thought you'd have to do it again in 15 minutes is just well...TORTURE!

I couldn't do the banana trick with this one since I was off solids since noon of Thursday!
Sorry you had to go through all that. I hope the results of the test was good.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:37 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post

Well we won't be using you as a mule for transporting drugs then, lol.

Have you seen that movie .. Maria Full of Grace? Just watching that makes one gag.

The mules have to swallow condoms full of coke or heroin, and lots of them, one after the other .. and if you think those pills of yours were huge, you should see the size of these condoms they have to swallow.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Drink something first until you feel your entire throat get wet. You are suppose to drink a full glass of water with those pills...But yeh..I get ones stuck sometimes and run for a cracker or something to push it down. I melted a pill in my mouth by drinking something warm once. The taste made me almost throw up. I was very anti-pill after that for awhile....lol...I got over it and found alternatives too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness