U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Status: "Working on the lake house" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: At the lake house in sunny Florida
15,983 posts, read 16,013,947 times
Reputation: 72954

Advertisements

Just wondering. My husband is always cold and his skin feels it. I on the other hand am always hot and my body stays warm except for my hands and feet. Would our temperatures be the same or does that have nothing to do with it?

It's good when we sleep at night because we even each other out. I feel really bad for my husband when I reach menopause. If I ever get hot flashes I will probably freeze him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2008, 08:57 PM
 
13,014 posts, read 24,172,251 times
Reputation: 11319
Not sure about your symptoms younglisa but has your husband's thyroid been checked out by a physician as he could have Hypothyroidism ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2008, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Some place very cold
5,503 posts, read 13,925,204 times
Reputation: 3926
Surface area has a lot to do with it, because that's where you lose heat.

Larger people have less surface area for their volume. And smaller people and animals have more surface area for their volume.

Body fat keeps people warm. I have a friend who is obese and she is always sweating bullets. Summertime is horrible for her.

And when people get hungry, they get cold.

And when they sit and do nothing, they tend to get cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2008, 06:30 AM
 
7,081 posts, read 24,519,604 times
Reputation: 3644
There are any number of reasons: thyroid disorders, peripheral circulation, other conditions, such as Raynaud's syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2008, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Rochester, MN
2,367 posts, read 3,583,648 times
Reputation: 6104
I'm not sure what causes it, but my husband is like a furnace, while I'm usually cold.

I joke that I don't need an electric blanket in bed, I have him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2008, 11:24 AM
 
8,679 posts, read 7,220,797 times
Reputation: 6753
I think it has to do with your metabolism rate. My husband is hot and I am cold. He has a physical job and for my job I sit all day. When I was exercising a lot I think it raised my basal metabolic rate enough that I really didn't feel cold like I normally do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 08:39 AM
 
Location: In the real world!
2,168 posts, read 5,445,794 times
Reputation: 2550
My sister is always hot and I am always cold. I went to live with her for awhile and I was always on the sofa under a quilt because she kept it so cold in her house.

All the guys at work are always also hot, therefore, freezing me out.

Who worte the law that hot natured people have complete control over the thermostat? I have always found that they think they have more rights than us cold natured people.

When I get cold, it is painful! My bones ache and hurt and it is hard for me to walk.. I have been like this since I was a teen but nobody seems to care if their tampering with the thermostat brings me pain..

The last time I had out of state company, they cut my thermostat waaaaay back without even asking and I sat here complaining how I was hurting from the cold and was wondering why it was suddenly so cold. They never said a word about cutting the thermostat back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Status: "Working on the lake house" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: At the lake house in sunny Florida
15,983 posts, read 16,013,947 times
Reputation: 72954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Surface area has a lot to do with it, because that's where you lose heat.

Larger people have less surface area for their volume. And smaller people and animals have more surface area for their volume.

Body fat keeps people warm. I have a friend who is obese and she is always sweating bullets. Summertime is horrible for her.

And when people get hungry, they get cold.

And when they sit and do nothing, they tend to get cold.
Hey woofers are you calling me fat? Ha, ha only kidding. It probably does have something to do with metabolism but whether I'm on my thin side or heavy side, I fluctuate a lot, I am always hot.



Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I'm not sure what causes it, but my husband is like a furnace, while I'm usually cold.

I joke that I don't need an electric blanket in bed, I have him.
I'm my hubby's blanket.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
My sister is always hot and I am always cold. I went to live with her for awhile and I was always on the sofa under a quilt because she kept it so cold in her house.

All the guys at work are always also hot, therefore, freezing me out.

Who worte the law that hot natured people have complete control over the thermostat? I have always found that they think they have more rights than us cold natured people.

When I get cold, it is painful! My bones ache and hurt and it is hard for me to walk.. I have been like this since I was a teen but nobody seems to care if their tampering with the thermostat brings me pain..

The last time I had out of state company, they cut my thermostat waaaaay back without even asking and I sat here complaining how I was hurting from the cold and was wondering why it was suddenly so cold. They never said a word about cutting the thermostat back.
I don't know if being so cold that your bones hurt can be good. Have you talked to a doctor about that? Stay warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
5,506 posts, read 9,309,384 times
Reputation: 3762
I don't think size has anything to do with it. I've always been pretty small, and when I was even smaller (and younger and single) I was told I was like an electric blanket. Husband sleeps in another room (flannel sheets, several blankets, comforter as well as as a down throw). I need: cold, sheet and comforter and sometimes have to remove that from my lower body (and I turn the heat down to nil at night).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,064 posts, read 2,672,969 times
Reputation: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Just wondering. My husband is always cold and his skin feels it. I on the other hand am always hot and my body stays warm except for my hands and feet. Would our temperatures be the same or does that have nothing to do with it?

It's good when we sleep at night because we even each other out. I feel really bad for my husband when I reach menopause. If I ever get hot flashes I will probably freeze him.

Not to worry youngLIsa .. when you hit menopause and the hot flashes, no -one else's comfort zone will matter, lol.

I think it must have to do with our different metabolisms also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top