U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2008, 10:19 AM

5,100 posts, read 8,360,335 times
Default Dr Asa Andrews - Empowering Your Health - opinions?

My husband has extensive medical problems. He's on tons of medications multiple times a day. His health just continues to deteriorate.

Don't get me wrong. I don't expect some miracle cure to come along and make him better and have him go back to tackling and wrestling bad guys 4 nights a week and hauling them off to jail. But I would like to change his 'life style' so that the heart attacks and strokes stop and possibly by changing his diet and exercise habits (he has none) get him off at least some of the medication.

I took the first step by banning him from grocery shopping. I know, I'm treating him like a child. But I came home from work last week to find him passed out in the bathroom. He'd barely eaten all day, but what he did eat was doughnuts and potato chips.

He's a big guy to start with - 6'4" and over 200 pounds. But he does no activity or exercise at all anymore. So, he needs something to change before his life style kills him.

So, I was listening to Dr Asa Andrews on the radio on the way home from work the other night. I don't know much about how foods and all react in the body, so I have no clue if he's giving good advice or if he's just a quack. Obviously he's telling people to eat healthy and move, so that's good even if he is a quack. Aside from that, does anyone have an opinion on this guy? If he's giving good advice I'm going to buy his book and get hubby some of the vitamins and such that he recommends. I also have him taking the GSD rescue dog that we have for a walk a couple times a day.

So, Dr Asa Andrews; advice, opinions, critics??
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 06:14 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,343,237 times
I looked him up on You Tube, sounds like his main message is YOU need to make that decision yourself, that nobody else can help you if you do not make a decision to DO IT YOURSELF! If that is what he is pushing, just have hubby watch him on You Tube... It could be a good starting point.. Maybe he can motivate him with that nessage..?

Old 11-02-2010, 12:51 PM

889 posts, read 1,505,512 times
Mrs1885, Maybe you can get your husband turned on to this guy WITHOUT it coming from you. You know what I mean? My husband won't listen to my health advice, but when he hears the same thing on the radio or TV, he believes it. Get this book from the library and put it by the toilet or somewhere he will read it, but don't say a word or tell him to read it...Left for Dead by Dick Quinn. It is LIFECHANGING!!!! Best wishes, and keep us posted. P.S. get the book!!!!!

Old 11-02-2010, 06:24 PM

1,208 posts, read 2,379,402 times
Talking Just say NO to junk food !

I don't know anything about Dr. Asa Andrews but I do know that the human body cannot thrive on eating donuts and potato chips

IMHO it would benefit your husband by stocking your pantry only with healthy foods and eliminate all the junk which is tempting him. Fill the fridge with real food ~ fresh veggies and fresh fruit for him to snack on. NO processed non-food. When he gets hungry he will eat what is available so make sure his choices are real food

Old 11-05-2010, 07:06 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,343,237 times
When wives speak, all husbands hear is "nag, nag, nag, nag!" so he is not listening. I'd say it's going to take a major health crisis but it sounds like he has already had that. If you love him just keep trying and maybe someday maybe you will say something that he hears and wakes him up and leave some of those books laying around the house, maybe reading it will be more believable than having it coming from you.

I use to nag my ex for months about something that needed doing and it never would get done. I would mention it to his mother or brother that such and such was in really bad shape and fixing to break or be ruined.. All they had to do was mention it to him and he would come home and say "Mom had a great idea today" and he would get it done.. Maybe also enlist his family to help your cause? Let someone he listens to point out that he is taking all those meds and still getting worse when a simple change in eating habits would be the best medicine in the world for him not to mention save a lot of money.

If all else fails, invite him to go for a ride one day and take him to a funeral home. When he asks why you brought him there tell him you just thought he would like to have a say in his own funeral arrangements. Maybe that would be his wake up call?

Old 11-07-2010, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,980 times
Okay lady. You say that you are concerned about your husband's health due to his poor lifestyle habits. It is a no-brainer that movement and nutritious foods can help maintain/restore health. As a concerned wife, you can have delicious, creative healthy snacks prepared for between those healthy meals I'm sure you fix for him. Why is it that promoting healthy sensible habits - like exercise/clean foods/ and taking responsibility for one's health is "QUACKERY"? Dr Asa is helping pople to turn their lives around and DO WHAT IT TAKES to take care of themselves! Meds are for management of medical conditions - a temporary FIX for bad habits, in most cases. Unfortunately, many people are so SLEEPY and NUMB that they have to ask ridiculous questions like.....is it a good idea to "move?" after painting a picture of a big man passed out in a bathroom after eating JUNK food. C'mon, how rude to call Dr Asa a quack and then turn around and act like mother goose taking care of her family. . My opinion? Score for Dr Asa playing the game to win, 0 for you just standing on the sidelines wagging your finger at your husband's pain.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:52 PM

9,036 posts, read 6,707,484 times
Default Incorrect interpretation of original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ555 View Post
Okay lady. You say that you are concerned about your husband's health due to his poor lifestyle habits. It is a no-brainer that movement and nutritious foods can help maintain/restore health. As a concerned wife, you can have delicious, creative healthy snacks prepared for between those healthy meals I'm sure you fix for him. Why is it that promoting healthy sensible habits - like exercise/clean foods/ and taking responsibility for one's health is "QUACKERY"? Dr Asa is helping pople to turn their lives around and DO WHAT IT TAKES to take care of themselves! Meds are for management of medical conditions - a temporary FIX for bad habits, in most cases. Unfortunately, many people are so SLEEPY and NUMB that they have to ask ridiculous questions like.....is it a good idea to "move?" after painting a picture of a big man passed out in a bathroom after eating JUNK food. C'mon, how rude to call Dr Asa a quack and then turn around and act like mother goose taking care of her family. . My opinion? Score for Dr Asa playing the game to win, 0 for you just standing on the sidelines wagging your finger at your husband's pain.
I sure didn't read the original post the same way you did. What is the cause of your extreme defensiveness about Dr. Asa? All the poster was saying, basically, is that it was the first time she had heard him and so she wanted to get feedback from others. She was just wondering if he could be a quack, not saying she thought he was. With all the weird advice that's out there, some skepticism is in order. You and the original poster are a lot closer together in your beliefs about health than you appear to think. Rather than analyzing those, perhaps you could analyze your hostility.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I don't know anything about Dr. Asa Andrews but I do know that the human body cannot thrive on eating donuts and potato chips

IMHO it would benefit your husband by stocking your pantry only with healthy foods and eliminate all the junk which is tempting him. Fill the fridge with real food ~ fresh veggies and fresh fruit for him to snack on. NO processed non-food. When he gets hungry he will eat what is available so make sure his choices are real food
At the time I posted he was the one doing the shopping so it was stocked with what he wanted. Since then I've lost my job - which was a blessing in disguise in sooooo many ways - and I've taken over the shopping. I'm changing his diet in little ways. Some he's noticed and some he hasn't. Exchanging ground turkey in place of ground beef in spaghetti sauce and chili for example. And he did just agree yesterday with me that we will both support each other in using the stair master daily, so that's a huge step forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ555 View Post
Reps to you for joining a forum and making yourself look like a Moderator cut: rude with your initial post!!

I appreciate your attempt at putting words in my mouth and making assumptions on what my life is like. You failed miserably.

At no time did I say he was a quack. I was asking from personal experience what people thought of him.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-08-2010 at 12:25 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 AM

14,023 posts, read 9,495,071 times
There are several websites and blog comments out there which question his therapies and an indication of some kind of lawsuit against him.

Personally, I would be leery of anyone who claims you can control your own future, which is essentially what he is selling. If you think about it, none of us can guarantee even one more moment of life or one more moment of good health, not even Dr. Andrews.

ps: Andrews is a Dr. of Chiropractic, not an MD.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
There are several websites and blog comments out there which question his therapies and an indication of some kind of lawsuit against him.

Personally, I would be leery of anyone who claims you can control your own future, which is essentially what he is selling. If you think about it, none of us can guarantee even one more moment of life or one more moment of good health, not even Dr. Andrews.

ps: Andrews is a Dr. of Chiropractic, not an MD.
Those are the things I'd been finding on line too. That's why I asked. Glad I'm not the only one that was seeing that.

I think the basic principal - eat healthy and get some exercise - are obviously good ideas. And we're moving that way............slowly. Just didn't know if there was any more truth to his supplements and such. I've heard him telling people with cancer that if they change the way they eat, their cells will be re-born cancer free in 30 or 45 days or something. I'm sure they do reproduce that frequently, but couldn't imagine that's the cure for cancer and no other doctor on the planet had discovered that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness