U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 27,746 times

Advertisements

I have had considerable fatigue for almost 10 months since I started on Yaz. I asked my doctor and she said it was not a known side effect, so we dismissed it as a possibility. I have been on holiday for 5 of these months (so stress has not been an issue) and eating a lot of red meat just in case it was anaemia. Further to these posts, has anyone found any more research on fatigue and Yaz? Did you go off Yaz and feel better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 27,592 times
for those of you who had extreme fatigue while taking YAZ, did you switch to a different birth control pill? If yes - which one? and how long did it take for the fatigue to go away?
Thanks

Old 04-30-2010, 06:35 PM

11,664 posts, read 13,552,749 times
I have never heard great things about YAZ. I've only heard complaints. In fact, I think there is a large class action law suit coming up against the makers. Is there a specific reason that your gyno put you on that particular pill? There are so many other options...

Old 12-06-2010, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 27,310 times
Well if your fatigue has lessened after going off the pill you are one of the lucky ones. I have been off of YAZ since february (on it for 2 years) and I have never felt so tired in my life. DO NOT TAKE YAZ. Not only did it make me depressed (and not at first... came on slowly over the two years until I was eventually suicidal which is crazy because I've always been a happy person), but after I went off of it my hair started falling out and I gained 10 pounds in 2 months (on a 115 lb frame this is ALOT when even in college I never weighed over 125). My gyno actually got defensive that the pill couldn't be causing these things. But I guess the fact I was on no other medication, got my dream job and met the perfect guy was probably the cause of all the sudden side effects.... yeah right. I now believe that birth control is poison and that they are shoving it at us to potentially save money on irresponsible pregnancies or to support drug companies. The thing that really annoys me the most is that all the birth control websites post a MILLION side effects... I think it's a ploy to make us believe that there's so many potential side effects to medications that none of them are serious. I think this should be forbidden or that side effects should be categorized based on how prevalent they have proven to be.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:29 PM

20,372 posts, read 24,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose2010 View Post
Well if your fatigue has lessened after going off the pill you are one of the lucky ones. I have been off of YAZ since february (on it for 2 years) and I have never felt so tired in my life. DO NOT TAKE YAZ. Not only did it make me depressed (and not at first... came on slowly over the two years until I was eventually suicidal which is crazy because I've always been a happy person), but after I went off of it my hair started falling out and I gained 10 pounds in 2 months (on a 115 lb frame this is ALOT when even in college I never weighed over 125). My gyno actually got defensive that the pill couldn't be causing these things. But I guess the fact I was on no other medication, got my dream job and met the perfect guy was probably the cause of all the sudden side effects.... yeah right. I now believe that birth control is poison and that they are shoving it at us to potentially save money on irresponsible pregnancies or to support drug companies. The thing that really annoys me the most is that all the birth control websites post a MILLION side effects... I think it's a ploy to make us believe that there's so many potential side effects to medications that none of them are serious. I think this should be forbidden or that side effects should be categorized based on how prevalent they have proven to be.
Actually, fatigue is most likely a symptom of the depression --- and birth control pills can predispose to depression.

Women who are not taking birth control pills become depressed, too, so the pills may have had nothing to do with it. This becomes more likely if you still have fatigue after being off the Yaz for 10 months. The hormones are long gone --- you have to take them every day, you know.

Many millions of women (including me!) have used birth contol pills happily and safely, so your experience is no reason to say that oral contraceptives are "poison" or that there is some big conspiracy to get women to take dangerous drugs.

Have you ever read one of the package inserts that comes with each refill? They do list side effects and the frequency of side effects. Why would the manufacturer exclude fatigue and mention all the other reported side effects? Makes no sense.

Here is the Yaz insert: http://www.berlex.com/html/products/pi/fhc/YAZ_PI.pdf

By the way, the post in this thread right before yours was over 6 months ago.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 27,179 times
YOU ARE NOT CRAZY!!! I really hate how negatively the pill affects me! I'm 19 years old, perfectly healthy, very energetic (mormally, when NOT on the pill). But since being on the pill (for about a year and some now) I feel HORRIBLE!!!! I am never fully happy. No matter how many family and friends I surround myself with or how many great times I have, I still don't feel full enjoyment. And then, i am EXHAUSTEDDDD! absolutely exhausted! I really hate it because I am a junior in college and I really want to enjoy my undergrad years but when i'm not sleep, all i can think about is sleep, and when i'm sleep i can sleep for days on end and never feel rejuvenated! It's horrible!!!! I am done with hormones! This is my 4th year of hormone-based contraception and it just makes me feel AWFUL all the time! I'm switching to IUD after this!!! If you experience any of this, know that it is probably the hormones!! Despite any opposition your doctor may give you

Old 02-07-2011, 05:35 AM

15,732 posts, read 16,831,810 times
I had an "adjustment period" when I started taking the pill, ortho tricyclen lo. It made me feel like I was pregnant the first month or so but after that I felt great.

I had no negative side effects from the pill after that, and I loved that it made my cycles managable (which is the primary reason I started taking it).

My husband had a vasectomy so I don't need the pill for birth control reasons but I may have to go back on it for my cycle again. If that's the case I'd definitely do the Ortho tricyclen lo.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:42 AM

1 posts, read 27,149 times
Hello all,

I have been on the Marvelon pill for 3 years and everything was great, but the decided to change it for implant, and the problems started. I felt very tired, my legs felt heavy and always felt like having a cold. I went to the doctor after being a year on the implant saying that it makes me tired. Obviously doctor said that it's impossible. She has done all the blood tests and it came that I was anaemic. She has given me iron supplements, however after 3 months even high dosage of iron didn't help. I went back and asked about taking implant out and she agreed. I started to take marvelon straight away and after six months I actually thought I was dying. I felt weak, I was sleeping up to 16 hours a day, I couldn't work but the worst I think it was the feeling of heaviness of my legs, lack of any strength became depressing . My parter was angry with me saying that I'm lazy and I should do something with it. I have started to read on the internet whether pill can cause tiredness and found this article:
[url=http://www.wdxcyber.com/nmood11.htm]All the information you need about Progesterone[/url]
They state that progesterone can cause fatigue and in high dosage it is used as seductive medicine for epilepsy. After using hormonal contraception for about 5 years I decided to stop and check whether I'll feel better.
It is 7 days now when I'm not on the pill, I'm taking Agnus Castus to balance hormones in the body and I have to say I feel like I'm becoming normal again, have some energy not much yet but at least I don't sleep during the day. I hope after a month or two I'll feel much better. I had a feeling that it was contraception fault as I always waited for my period as I felt much better than during my 21 days of pills where it should be other way round.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 27,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamsd View Post
OMG, I am having the same problem. I was on birth control for years and then had kids and when I went back to them they made me extremely sick so the Gyn suggested the IUD. Tried that and the same thing happened, I thought I was going to bleed to death. Ended up extremely anemic and then got off of everything all together.

About 4 months ago I started on YAZ and loved it because it didn't make me sick. I take it at night before bed. However, I have gotten extremely tired in the last few months to the point that I have actually gone to see 2 different doctors. They have run several blood tests but nothing has come back abnormal.

I find myself falling asleep at work and at night I fall asleep either reading my kids a story or watching TV by about 8:30-9:00. I have never felt so tired in my life. I am getting plenty of sleep but even when I wake up I feel like I could sleep for another 4 hours. My husband is ready to kill me. My doctor has even given me an anti depressant and I'm taking vitamins and that doesn't seem to do anything. I feel like with every passing day I just get more tired. I was very happy to see your posting to know that I am not alone in this.

I have been looking on line as well for the cause of this and I can't find where the pill can have this as a side effect. Are you still on YAZ or did you get off. If you got off, how is your fatigue and how long did it take to go away (if it did).

I just the birth control Yaz about a month ago and that is what lead me to this web site. I was trying to figure out why I am so EXHAUSTED!I was reading up on this and I think that it has to do with the testosterone levels. The pill decreases them and this could cause extreme fatigue. Look it up. I will be asking my guino about this, but I know what you mean about the fatigue!

Old 02-12-2015, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 15,170 times
Default Chronic fatigue and birth control

Hi there,

I wanted to share my story on the off chance that it will help anyone else out there. I was on the pill from an early age and other than getting morning sickness a few times a month, I didn't have real issues. I took myself off it in college and went back on it in my 30s to try to control painful periods. My dr. put me on the continuous pill. After approximately 3-4 months I got hit with debilitating fatigue. One night walking home I wasn't sure I could make it, the next day I found I couldn't sit up without my head supported. Within 24 hours I couldn't walk/stand/sit for any length of time. (e.g., I had to take breaks when eating). Having my head supported at all times seemed essential. Drs didn't know what it was. All my tests came back negative. To try to problem solve I eliminated everything that could be a potential issue (so I stopped taking the pill). I did everything to try to solve the issue (acupuncture, herbal treatments, light therapy, etc etc). Nothing helped. After a while I could start laying flat on the ground and build up enough energy to walk around the house and do basic things (like make a sandwich) but I could only go for short stretches of time. It took about 6 months, but it eventually seemed to work itself out. My working theory then was that I had some build up of toxins, because I noticed that I felt better when I was sweating. I became diligent about exercising and sweating every day.

About 4 years later after being on no birth control, then the nuva ring, I switched back to the pill again. This time it took about 6 months (I was not taking the continuous pill this time) - and the exact same thing happened. I was exercising and totally normal one day and then suddenly one day on a walk I started feeling weak, realized I needed to sit down, by that night I was back to debilitating fatigue once again. I immediately stopped taking the pill. The doctors tested me for everything under the sun and everything came back totally negative (including cortisol levels from a day long spit test). I couldn't find a doctor who would test me for testosterone deficiency but my symptoms seem consistent with that. (e.g., after getting hit with the fatigue my sleep wasn't as deep as it typically is). Because I tracked everything I ate/did whenever I was fatigued I have an hour by hour account of both bouts of fatigue. I didn't realize until I was a couple months in, but my energy level was constant for several weeks and then I would start feeling qualitatively better about the same time that I got my period. It was like stair stepping back to health.

I firmly believe that the pill was the cause of my fatigue. That my symptoms seem to get better each time my body had a chance to run thru it's cycle (and normalize itself hormonally) points even more toward the pill being the culprit. It seems like everyone who has fatigue issues has their own particular brand. If you are dealing with unexplained fatigue, if, like me, you find that it leads to shallow sleep, need to have your head supported, difficulty standing/walking, AND you are taking oral contraceptives - I would really try going off the pill for 6 months or so to see if it helps. As other people have said, messing with your endocyrn system is a bit dangerous - and I firmly believe that the pill was the cause of my debilitating fatigue. I was on a different pill both times I got ill, so I don't think it is linked to a particular brand necessarily.

If you are reading this and looking for answers, I hope you find some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness