U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 804 times

Advertisements

I too have been on a couple different pills over the years and loved them for years. Now I have a benign liver tumor and I have been scheduled for a liver resection surgery. 3 different doctors said it was because of my birth control pills and I had to stop taking the pills.. Now, not every one faces this issue, but I wanted to post this incase it helps someone else.
if you are talking the pill, (do not stop because of this) but please understand that it may be a good idea to have an MRI OR CT scan done every 3 years or so.. What a lot of people do not understand is that the hormones in the pills, goes through your liver. People who have major complaints while taking the pills should definitely have their scans done to check for tumors. I never had any major side effects, and really liked taking the pill due the fact that it kept my periods normal, and kept me feeling normal, as well as kept me from getting pregnant. I never gave anything a second thought until I had sever upper abdominal pain and had to go to the emergency room. 13 and a half hours later they found the tumor, and it had starting bleeding into my liver.. due to that, it is at higher risk for rupturing, so this is the reason for the surgery. The surgeon has to go in and remove 1/3rd or maybe even half my liver. So this is a major surgery. Had I known this could happen, i don't know if i would have stopped taking the pill, but I would have taken steps to monitor my liver, kidneys and such a lot better. So please understand, I am not telling you not to take the pills, but know that there are side effects, and some of those effects may not be found for years. I have been on the pill Since I was 25 or so, and I am 37 now and am just finding these issues. Pregnancy can cause this also, steroids, or other hormone replacements!! It happens because of how the liver metabolizes all these hormones. So if you are on any kind of hormone replacements or anything like that, on a regular basis for a number of years, please get checked!!! Request an MRI or CT scan.. My tumor is already 4 cm big and is at high risk for rupture. However if this issue is found earlier enough, (say at 1 or 2 cm) then the doctors will recommend stopping the drug you are on, and then watch for a year or so and see if they shrink. if the tumor shrinks then no need for surgery. The larger tumors have a higher risk for turning into cancer years down the road. Good news for me is they think they found it before that. So hopefully after removal and recovering time, I should be fine.. So I am not wanting to hate on drug companies or anything like that, but please understand that many different types of drugs can effect certain things in your body.. Birth control pills are one of those drugs that can seriously effect the liver. Please get checked and be smart about getting checked. MRI'S are not fun, but do not hurt. it takes 20 mins or so to have one. CT scans go a little faster. So please get checked if you are on the pills or hormones. again getting checked every 2 to 3 years should catch any thing on the liver. I do not mean to scare anyone, just want to help warn people about the side effect, and there are ways to get checked and be safe while taking medications. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 322 times
I am an incredibly positive person. I am 25 and have been this way my entire life. I went on Loryna, generic brand of Yaz, five months ago. I went on it specifically for my skin. While it has helped some, it has not helped enough to make all of the negative side effects worth it. I have become melancholy and very uncomfortable in even the most comfortable of situations. I canít seem to make myself happy. No matter how many books I read, trails I hike or days I spend in the sunshine (all things that fill me up), I just cannot beat these feelings of deression. I have lost my appetite. I feel nauseous at times and cramp more frequently than ever before the pill, not to mention the cramps are incomparably more painful. I have zero energy, but I often have trouble falling or staying asleep. Each of these problems worsens the other. This is not me. It is as far from who I am as possible. Itís not just my mind/body falling into a depressive state because that happens. Itís the hormones in this pill that are messing me up. Everybody is different, and I envy those of you who have not had this same experience. I feel way better having read through these comments, and I am a week and a half away from finishing my last pack. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I feel confident now that I have to stop taking them, and I feel hopeful.

Last edited by a.c.d.427; 03-24-2018 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Typo * wanted to add one more important bit of info

Old 03-24-2018, 07:14 PM

18,825 posts, read 6,149,026 times
This post goes back some yrs. Doesn't sound good. I took B.C. pills a 100 yrs ago and never had issues and not for skin issues. Sounds like it's not right for you. Work with other stuff for skin issues. Maybe some others know this pill. Take care.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:17 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,509,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This post goes back some yrs. Doesn't sound good. I took B.C. pills a 100 yrs ago and never had issues and not for skin issues. Sounds like it's not right for you. Work with other stuff for skin issues. Maybe some others know this pill. Take care.
Ya, YAZ is horrible.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:48 AM

3,035 posts, read 1,211,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.c.d.427 View Post
I am an incredibly positive person. I am 25 and have been this way my entire life. I went on Loryna, generic brand of Yaz, five months ago. I went on it specifically for my skin. While it has helped some, it has not helped enough to make all of the negative side effects worth it. I have become melancholy and very uncomfortable in even the most comfortable of situations. I canít seem to make myself happy. No matter how many books I read, trails I hike or days I spend in the sunshine (all things that fill me up), I just cannot beat these feelings of deression. I have lost my appetite. I feel nauseous at times and cramp more frequently than ever before the pill, not to mention the cramps are incomparably more painful. I have zero energy, but I often have trouble falling or staying asleep. Each of these problems worsens the other. This is not me. It is as far from who I am as possible. Itís not just my mind/body falling into a depressive state because that happens. Itís the hormones in this pill that are messing me up. Everybody is different, and I envy those of you who have not had this same experience. I feel way better having read through these comments, and I am a week and a half away from finishing my last pack. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I feel confident now that I have to stop taking them, and I feel hopeful.
This is an ancient thread, but if you notice a radical change in mood after starting a new BCP, by all means stop. This happened to me with one brand and I stopped it after less than two months. I was so miserable that I did not want to leave the bed. I felt immediate relief after I quit, even though I had extreme social stressors at that time.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:17 PM

4,001 posts, read 1,778,146 times
The Yaz that this thread was mentioning was terrible for me also.

All BC pills are not created equal, thatís for sure. I had to wage war with Walgreens a few months ago because they kept trying to replace my Junel with the generic Blissovi, despite my doctorís specific orders to not do so.

- Yes, I realize itís the same drug. Same dose.

Thatís irrelevant: The Blissovi is manufactured from a different company & the Ph balance is somehow altered & only the Junel Ph balance works, without horrible side affects; for me.

My doctors office had to call 3 times in one week & it took them a month to correct themselves, during which I gained almost 20lbs & had started to spot continuously. Twice I had to go argue in person with them, in tears, yelling:

ď I have had 11 children, 3 fibroid surgeries & during this last year I have had to have 9 units of blood transfused ... I finally find something that works for me & now you wonít let me have it?!Ē

Yeah; I was a little ďhormonalĒ. Their fault entirely.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:31 PM

9 posts, read 14,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

Thatís irrelevant: The Blissovi is manufactured from a different company & the Ph balance is somehow altered & only the Junel Ph balance works, without horrible side affects; for me.
I had the same experience with Blisovi. I was originally taking Lomedia, which was great but is impossible to find now. I've been able to get Junel at Walmart but I fear the day they can no longer get it and try to give me Blisovi instead.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:29 AM

324 posts, read 93,332 times
Not tired but I was always insanely hungry..id eat a whole pizza by myself. It was ridiculous. I hate birth control. Not worth the crazy side effects.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:48 AM

4,848 posts, read 5,906,422 times
When I was on BC pills back in the late 80's and 90's the pill I took gave me no adverse effects. But it took awhile to find the right one. My gyno was very helpful and she listened to my symptoms and then tried another. She said there are so many different types of pills that sometimes it takes awhile to find the right one. Everyone is different. SO what works for one person may not work for another. Also be vocal to your doctor and dont settle for one that has bad side effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness