U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:25 PM

730 posts, read 1,927,990 times

Advertisements

For 8 years I had a non hormonal Paragaurd IUD and loved it-BUT then I started having strange bleeding/cramping.After ruling out EVERY other cause my gyno figured the IUD was the culprit and needed to be taken out/replaced. The package insert stated that the IUD was effective for "up to 10 years", but my gyno insists that is a guideline and may not true for every single woman.

So out it came with a quickness ( I was tired of bleeding to death by this point).I was unsure of what I wanted to do as far birth control, but had heard wonderful things about YAZ birth control pills.Gyno gave me 6 months worth of samples. I am finishing the 1st month- and I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO TIRED IN ALL MY LIFE!! I have no other complaints about the pill thus far. No spotting, cramping, mood swings, etc...

Nothing has really changed in my life, getting adequate sleep- yet today I am pretty sure I was asleep sitting up for a while in my cubicle at work! This sort of thing has been happening since about 6 days into the pills.

Anyone else had this happen? I checked YAZ's website and found all sorts of horrible side effects listed - and yet this was not one of them! Coincidence??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 03:29 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,345,529 times
It's possible that since you had some heavy bleeding with the IUD, that you had gotten anemic. And as time passed, you became more so. I assume that your doctor checked you for this. If he didn't, ask him about it.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:12 PM

12,053 posts, read 19,133,053 times
Check for both anemia and high blood pressure.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:10 PM

3,714 posts, read 7,959,425 times
I didn't do very well on pills, but being tired wasn't a problem. I went on a crying jag that lasted for months! Wasn't terribly effective for birth control, either - I got pg the first time on pills, the second time with an IUD. What's the odds of that happening?

Old 12-31-2008, 05:25 PM

2,178 posts, read 7,995,494 times
When I was on my periods, it was like someone drugged me and I could sleep around the clock. If I wasn't asleep, I was thinking about sleeping. I'd sleep a good 12 hours at night, take a 6 hour nap in the day and couldn't wait for bedtime.... and I thought that was normal and the way every woman was.

I checked it on askapatient.com and didn't see any complaint like that on there but if you find out it is, you need to report it as a side effect to the makers and the FDA, reporting it would help others.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 29,080 times
Default uncontrollable fatigue

OMG, I am having the same problem. I was on birth control for years and then had kids and when I went back to them they made me extremely sick so the Gyn suggested the IUD. Tried that and the same thing happened, I thought I was going to bleed to death. Ended up extremely anemic and then got off of everything all together.

About 4 months ago I started on YAZ and loved it because it didn't make me sick. I take it at night before bed. However, I have gotten extremely tired in the last few months to the point that I have actually gone to see 2 different doctors. They have run several blood tests but nothing has come back abnormal.

I find myself falling asleep at work and at night I fall asleep either reading my kids a story or watching TV by about 8:30-9:00. I have never felt so tired in my life. I am getting plenty of sleep but even when I wake up I feel like I could sleep for another 4 hours. My husband is ready to kill me. My doctor has even given me an anti depressant and I'm taking vitamins and that doesn't seem to do anything. I feel like with every passing day I just get more tired. I was very happy to see your posting to know that I am not alone in this.

I have been looking on line as well for the cause of this and I can't find where the pill can have this as a side effect. Are you still on YAZ or did you get off. If you got off, how is your fatigue and how long did it take to go away (if it did).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
For 8 years I had a non hormonal Paragaurd IUD and loved it-BUT then I started having strange bleeding/cramping.After ruling out EVERY other cause my gyno figured the IUD was the culprit and needed to be taken out/replaced. The package insert stated that the IUD was effective for "up to 10 years", but my gyno insists that is a guideline and may not true for every single woman.

So out it came with a quickness ( I was tired of bleeding to death by this point).I was unsure of what I wanted to do as far birth control, but had heard wonderful things about YAZ birth control pills.Gyno gave me 6 months worth of samples. I am finishing the 1st month- and I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO TIRED IN ALL MY LIFE!! I have no other complaints about the pill thus far. No spotting, cramping, mood swings, etc...

Nothing has really changed in my life, getting adequate sleep- yet today I am pretty sure I was asleep sitting up for a while in my cubicle at work! This sort of thing has been happening since about 6 days into the pills.

Anyone else had this happen? I checked YAZ's website and found all sorts of horrible side effects listed - and yet this was not one of them! Coincidence??

Old 01-28-2009, 02:06 PM

8,416 posts, read 33,508,475 times
I know you cant go on that one because of a potassium related issue something or other...Have you doctor test your kidney and liver for distress.

Low potassium =
Low Potassium (Hyperkalemia) Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention on eMedicineHealth.com Potassium Symptoms

Extreme example with YAZ:
Yasmin Side Effects: I took Yaz for 7 days. In that amount of time, I b... : Medications.com

Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 AM

12,697 posts, read 12,493,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
I....had heard wonderful things about YAZ birth control pills.Gyno gave me 6 months worth of samples. I am finishing the 1st month- and I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO TIRED IN ALL MY LIFE!
My daughter--in her 20's--takes Yaz since it supposedly lessens cramps. She' s one of the few people I know who has not had side effects from it (she's tried other B/C pills and has had severe side effects). Medication affects everyone completely differently. If you keep feeling like this after a couple of more weeks, I'd ask your gynecologist for another brand.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 58,487 times
YES birth control pills CAN cause extreme fatique!! I had chronic and debilitating fatique for eight years...as long as I was on desogen. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, chronic fatique syndrome...the list goes on and on. I always suspected the pill had something to do with it but all my doctors poo-pooed the idea whenever I would ask. No one seemed willing to admit there is a possibility...so if you suspect it, it is worth going off the pill. After eight years I finally took matters in my own hands and noticed a difference after just one month. Six months off...suddenly feel almost normal again!! Now, my OB/GYN admits there are certain women who have a unusal reaction to the pill...sort of an allergic reaction...and react with fatique. Go fiqure!! Eight years of my life has been lost as far as I'm concerned. No one truly understands the endocrine system...it is very complex. Messing with it by taking synthetic hormones can be risky. Be your own advocate and if your gut is telling you something, then follow it.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 58,487 times
Default My story

YES birth control pills CAN cause extreme fatique!! I had chronic and debilitating fatique for eight years...as long as I was on desogen. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, chronic fatique syndrome...the list goes on and on. I always suspected the pill had something to do with it but all my doctors poo-pooed the idea whenever I would ask. No one seemed willing to admit there is a possibility...so if you suspect it, it is worth going off the pill. After eight years I finally took matters in my own hands and noticed a difference after just one month. Six months off...suddenly feel almost normal again!! Now, my OB/GYN admits there are certain women who have a unusal reaction to the pill...sort of an allergic reaction...and react with fatique. Go fiqure!! Eight years of my life has been lost as far as I'm concerned. No one truly understands the endocrine system...it is very complex. Messing with it by taking synthetic hormones can be risky. Be your own advocate and if your gut is telling you something, then follow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or