Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
If you're not regularly sexually active, probably the risks of the hormones outweigh the possible potential benefits, especially if you're a smoker.

Have you considered either tubal ligation or an IUD?
IUD/IUC sounds like a good option for you. It is minimally invasive, effective, and (just in case) considerably more reversible than tubal ligation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Back to the OP. I would not use anything and use codoms if/when the possiblity comes about. Since you are a smoker, the benefit does not outweigh the risk.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:22 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
To the Op--if you're married/in a committed relationship, I'd suggest your guy get a vasectomy.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,734 times
I used to be on DepoProvera (the 3 month shot) and I was told that it was the same drug in the 5 year implant in smaller doses. Now, I'm not sure if that's true or not, but if it is and you were able to have the 5 year implant and smoke, you might want to look into DepoProvera.

It does have a weight gain side effect though, but not for everybody.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:33 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Oh, please...preventation of implantation is not an "abortion". An abortion is the removal of an embryo or fetus. The fertilized egg is neither. Before it is implanted, it is merely a blastocyst.
It's a living thing, growing on it's own. It has all the DNA of a living adult.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
It's a living thing, growing on it's own.
Then why can't it "grow on its own" without requiring a welcoming uterus?

Quote:
It has all the DNA of a living adult.
So would a single cell scraped from my pale white buttcheeks. BFD.

Just because whatever religion you follow says abortion is wrong, doesn't mean it's an abortion to take birth control pills.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Then why can't it "grow on its own" without requiring a welcoming uterus?

So would a single cell scraped from my pale white buttcheeks. BFD.

Just because whatever religion you follow says abortion is wrong, doesn't mean it's an abortion to take birth control pills.
Dear Su-Su-Sushi,

Off the record, I don't have any problem with abortion.

I was only pointing out that some don't like the pill because it causes what they consider an "abortion."

How YOU define abortion is something you may want to take up with the Catholic Church. I don't really care!

Best of luck with whatever birth control option you choose. But I honestly think at 46 you really don't need to worry about it!

Cheers,

Woofers

Old 01-08-2009, 03:57 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Your chances of getting pregnant are almost nil.

Why would you bother taking the pill?
Now Woof Woof Woof....are you the same Woof Woof Woof that gave this advice to the woman that was thinking about trying to get pregnant at the age of 40?

....."I know a LOT of women who have babies later in life. They are all VERY happy!

Go for it!"......

I just happened to find this post on the parenting forum. It must be someone using you user name.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:54 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Now Woof Woof Woof....are you the same Woof Woof Woof that gave this advice to the woman that was thinking about trying to get pregnant at the age of 40?

....."I know a LOT of women who have babies later in life. They are all VERY happy!

Go for it!"......

I just happened to find this post on the parenting forum. It must be someone using you user name.
I don't know that that is a fair criticism... perhaps your chances of naturally conceiving after 40 are slim, but fertility treatments are often successful and someone over 40 may be considering that.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

Go for it!"......

Yes, I am the same Woofers.

A lot of women do have babies after 40, but many need to get hormone shots or go with in vitro fertilization.

Yes, you can still get pregnant at 40 naturally, but every year after that, your chances of conceiving naturally decrease dramatically.

By the time you are 46, your chances of conceiving naturally are so slim that it's hardly worth going on birth control.

Those are just the facts madam.

Woofers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness