Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,618,690 times

Advertisements

So I'm gonna be 38 this spring. My 5 year implant "expires" around the same time and it's time to make a choice. My health is good but I do smoke and the risk factors are higher for strokes and such. Unfortunately I am divorced or I'd ask the hubby to take care of this I haven't had any um... romance lol for 3 years so it's not that I want to go run the roads but if the chance comes up I would be afraid to leave it up to just condoms. What do you all do for birth control?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 03:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,164,151 times
I always used just condoms and coupled that with cycle watch. I never got pregnant. Its hard to get pregnant after 40. Not like it doesn't happen...But I would just go with the condom and cycle watch.
I think dying of a stroke would be worse than having a baby.
Or worse..maybe you will become a baby basically from the stroke and need care.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:10 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,895,785 times
Pill for me. But then again, I don't smoke and I'm incredibly healthy. When the time comes that I hit menopause (no signs at all yet), then I'll probably just use condoms. I'm currently 46 years old.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:09 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,954,038 times
If you're not regularly sexually active, probably the risks of the hormones outweigh the possible potential benefits, especially if you're a smoker.

Have you considered either tubal ligation or an IUD?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:18 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,387,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Pill for me. But then again, I don't smoke and I'm incredibly healthy. When the time comes that I hit menopause (no signs at all yet), then I'll probably just use condoms. I'm currently 46 years old.
Your chances of getting pregnant are almost nil.

Why would you bother taking the pill?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
So I'm gonna be 38 this spring. My 5 year implant "expires" around the same time and it's time to make a choice. My health is good but I do smoke and the risk factors are higher for strokes and such. Unfortunately I am divorced or I'd ask the hubby to take care of this I haven't had any um... romance lol for 3 years so it's not that I want to go run the roads but if the chance comes up I would be afraid to leave it up to just condoms. What do you all do for birth control?
It doesn't sound like you have much to worry about.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:37 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,618,690 times
Thanks all! You have for sure given me food for thought. Really.

I know I know why bother right? lol A girl can have her dreams

Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,895,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Your chances of getting pregnant are almost nil.

Why would you bother taking the pill?
Oh yes, why bother preventing unwanted pregnancy?

If I didn't bother, I'd have a quite a good chance of becoming pregnant despite my age. My family history is such that the women stay viable well into their mid-50s so I've got ten years or more to go here before I can throw caution to the wind. There have also been several female relatives of mine that have had "accidental" babies past the 40 year mark because they thought their chances were "almost nil".

Besides, I can feel it when I ovulate, so I know that's still happening. I also regularly do double ovulations...I'm not going to take chances on having a kid just when I've finally gotten to a point in my life where I don't have to take care of anyone else.

Not me, thanks.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:52 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,954,038 times
Quote:

If I didn't bother, I'd have a quite a good chance of becoming pregnant despite my age. My family history is such that the women stay viable well into their mid-50s so I've got ten years or more to go here before I can throw caution to the wind. There have also been several female relatives of mine that have had "accidental" babies past the 40 year mark because they thought their chances were "almost nil".

Besides, I can feel it when I ovulate, so I know that's still happening. I also regularly do double ovulations...I'm not going to take chances on having a kid just when I've finally gotten to a point in my life where I don't have to take care of anyone else.

Not me, thanks.
If you're on the Pill, you should not be ovulating... double or otherwise!

(Not arguing that you should not be preventing pregnancy, because you should be if you do not want to get pregnant, but what you are feeling should not be ovulatory pain if you are on the Pill.)

Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:

If I didn't bother, I'd have a quite a good chance of becoming pregnant despite my age. My family history is such that the women stay viable well into their mid-50s.
I've never heard of a woman getting pregnant naturally past the age of 44. It is extremely rare.

Are you sure that you don't mean that women in your family still get their periods into their 50s? That's not the same as being fertile.

Those eggs just aren't so fresh anymore! They come out with the wash, if you know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness