Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 AM

314 posts, read 1,273,990 times

Advertisements

I've been on Licinopril, and it hasnt been going well, bad side effects. Heart Palpitations and really dizzy/light headed are the worst among many. I'm taking myself off them, its just not worth feeling like this. I've been on them for two months, this last month has been the worst.

just wondering...has anyone had these problems, or similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:05 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,208,549 times
I took one and the only side effect I had was coughing. I had to go off of it due to the coughing. My dr then tried some class of drugs called ARB's which are supposedly similar to ace inhibitors, and I had no trouble with that at all.

Sounds like you need to speak with your dr ASAP! There are many drugs for hypertension. You just need to find something that works for you without side effects.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,376,837 times
I agree talk to your Dr. the dosage might be right or it may not be right and you might need a different kind.
also going off some meds without weaning can be dangerous.
Good Luck

Old 01-18-2009, 12:38 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,688,369 times
I take dilzem post triple heart by-pass surgery. Sometimes I do feel light headed, but I also take a water pill as well which also lowers blood pressure. My blood pressure is 127/72 which is where they want it, but I'll see my GP this week just to be sure.
Don't come off your meds Meadgrad until your doctor says so.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,637 times
i have just had a heart bypass 6 weeks ago my blood pressure is high is this normal situation email address [email]cal1954@hotmail.co.uk[/email]

Old 02-23-2009, 02:17 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,208,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blundc View Post
i have just had a heart bypass 6 weeks ago my blood pressure is high is this normal situation email address cal1954@hotmail.co.uk
Sounds like you need to call your doctor. My husband had heart bypass surgery. Elevated blood pressure was not a normal aftereffect. You may need your meds readjusted or changed.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,592,980 times
My doctor just put me on this medicine at the lowest dose possible with no side effects. How much are you taking?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:38 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,362,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadgrad View Post
I've been on Licinopril, and it hasnt been going well, bad side effects. Heart Palpitations and really dizzy/light headed are the worst among many. I'm taking myself off them, its just not worth feeling like this. I've been on them for two months, this last month has been the worst.

just wondering...has anyone had these problems, or similar?
First, the caveat. The following is not intended to be mean. It is intended to illustrate the underlying complexity of your question, and the paucity of data that leads to misinterpretation.

You have already assumed that your symptoms are solely drug-induced and that the only solution is to stop the drug. Yes, Lisinopril is used to manage hypertension. But it is also selected for managing hypertension specifically in patients with concomitant heart failure, postmyocardial infarction, high coronary disease risk, diabetes mellitus, chronic renal failure, and/or cerebrovascular disease. Therefore, are your palpitations and dizziness due only to the drug or are they symptoms of underlying pathology? Probably better ask your Doc, right?

Dosage of Lisinopril must be adjusted according to the patient's peak and trough blood pressure responses If the blood pressure response diminishes toward the end of the dosing interval during once daily administration with a dosage of 10mg or less daily, increasing the dosage or dividing the dose into twice daily administration should be considered. Therefore, is your symtomatology a "side effect" or is it rebound cardiac compensation as the drug is wearing off? Probably better ask your Doc, right?

Adverse effects reported in greater than 1% of patients receiving Lisinopril include dizziness, hypotension, headache, diarrhea, chest pain, nausea, abdominal pain, rash, and upper respiratory tract infections.However, the risk of getting the side effects you describe requires consideration of recent antihypertensive therapy with other drugs, especially diuretics (either prescribed or those you may be taking in herbal remedies). Other important factors that increase the risk of heart palpitations and lightheadedness include your initial extent of blood pressure elevation, sodium intake, and fluid status.Kinda hard to sort out whether Lisinopril is the culprit, or if other personal factors contributed to the effects you report. Probably better ask your Doc, right?

Ok,I hope you see my point. I'm honestly not trying to brow-beat you.
As the other posters suggested, you need to discuss this problem with your physician, and I mean DISCUSS it. You have a right to ask questions until you understand the prescribing rationale and therapeutic goals in your treatment plan. However, the answer is not to discontinue your meds without first notifying your physician.

PS In case you are wondering, Yes, I do this for a living.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:12 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,926,006 times
Lisinopril can cause your potassium levels to rise, which can cause your symptoms. Call your doctor--you probably need a blood test to check this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness