Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 03:28 AM

257 posts, read 1,080,811 times

Advertisements

I wake up with a sick stomach most mornings because I never know what I will have to face when I enter the doors to work, and there is no one there I can talk to about it because the main problems are the management. Usually 2 or 3 on me every morning, it gets old after a while, I get scared to go to work........I take pride in what I do and think I do a good job, but I don't need to be pressured meanwhile.

Eee! I am ready to give my notice! As I get older I am finding I am less tolerable with work also.......? Then again as I get older I am less hireable, catch 22 ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 05:35 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
I wake up with a sick stomach most mornings because I never know what I will have to face when I enter the doors to work, and there is no one there I can talk to about it because the main problems are the management. Usually 2 or 3 on me every morning, it gets old after a while, I get scared to go to work........I take pride in what I do and think I do a good job, but I don't need to be pressured meanwhile.

Eee! I am ready to give my notice! As I get older I am finding I am less tolerable with work also.......? Then again as I get older I am less hireable, catch 22 ha!
People in "authority" are often on some kind of a power trip and have control issues.

I had a manager once like of whom you speak. Talk about walking on eggshells!! I absolutely hated it and did end up putting up with her for 1 1/2 years. She moved on, and I was promoted to her position. She was young enough to be my daughter, very attractive, but omg, the venom of a snake.

I know how you are feeling. I was 43 at the time, still young, but now that I'm 58, I KNOW I will never put myself in that position again. Life is too short to let a few people make you miserable and be constantly on edge.

I would get such severe anxiety because one never knew how she would be. Looking back now, I know she was a nut and obviously had inner problems. If I had more than one Karen on my back at one time, I more than likely would have quit but then again, I didn't have but her, so I really don't know what I would have done.

I had even slammed my keys down a few times during that 1 1/2 years and said that I was quitting. Both times she pleaded with me not to go, that I was the best assistant manager she'd ever had, and blah, blah.

After she moved on, she came back a few days after my mom had passed away. She had NO relationship with her mother and she knew how close my mom and I were. She decided to pull her power trip again with me and absolutely chewed me out for something I can't even remember. What I do remember though is her saying with such evilness, "I hope you and this job fall apart." How kind was that? Ha, ha to her; it didn't!!! Everyone working there was now so much happier. We actually enjoyed the place.

I only wish you the best and hope that very soon, the problems will be rectified.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:17 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
Quote:

It's time to look for a new job. In 2001, I felt depressed on Sunday morning, knowing I had to go to work the next day. On Monday, I couldn't wait for Friday. By Wednesday, I was OK, but the cycle continued. I finally said enough is enough. I gave my 3 week notice and haven't looked back. You have to do what you have to do. My life is so much less stressful, and I'm glad I did what I had to do.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:22 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:

Putty, that's no way to live. Use the resources you have and write up a new resume. Keep it simple. One easy and free way to do it is by going to ResumeimprovedDOTcom. They will allow you to use the first option. It gives you the format and all you have to do is fill in the information, finish, print it out and PRESTO! New resume
Then submit the resumes to other employers. When you get interviews, either call in sick or take off early or do whatever you have to do.
When you get hired by someone else, give notice.
You don't have to live like this.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:47 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Yeah, that is bad. Whatever happened to the World?

I commute down the stairs to the kitchen, then back to the puter. Even that can be stressful and I can't fire me. I would do as MoMark sezs, plan the escape and be gone.

Things can get worse, they might take away your C-D.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 AM

606 posts, read 698,620 times
I used to think I am the most depressed person in the world...

Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I used to be the same way. I had acid reflux so bad, Monday through Friday. I finally made up my mind to do something about it. Now, I work for myself. The paycheck isn't as consistent, but I am ever so much happier.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:02 AM

788 posts, read 4,067,481 times
I know the responsible thing is to have a job lined up before you quit the one you have now, but I have had the exact same problem as you a couple of times and I put in my notice and quit. It got to the point that I would rather miss a few meals than live that way anymore. Fortunately, I was able to get much better jobs immeditately. When it is that bad, I think you are meant to get out, and the universe helps line something else up for you quickly.

GET OUT. Put your notice in NOW--that will be the motivation to spice up the resume and get the new job.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:14 AM

942 posts, read 2,583,058 times
When my now current husband and I decided we couldnt continue to have a long distance relationship we had just been downsizing at my place of employment. I worked and lived in Chicago and he worked and lived in Miami. My employer at the time offerd me a same position with higher salary with same company in Houston. My significant other said if your considering relocating to Houston why not Miami. My reply "ok, I'll look for a positionin Miami for two weeks if I dont get hired you have to try Chicago for two eeks, whoever gets the job thats who relocates."

My first wek here I received four job offers, I went through a head hunter. I started making 66k in 2001, for Miami thats pretty good. I did not go with the highest paying offer but with what I believed to be the best company. Biggest mistake. Less than a year latter I was giving my three week notice. I had to answer to the President of the company I was the Director of Development Accounting/Finance. This man was the worst boss I have ever encountered!!! Not only that I found the others that were below me in rank of positionvery cut throat, lots of back stabbing and kissing behinds. I was use to a much more professional enviroment.

I remember after the last Friday at that job and thinking oh my God...I dont have a headache, my acid relux is gone and I have my life bacK!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 11:52 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Smile yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
When my now current husband and I decided we couldnt continue to have a long distance relationship we had just been downsizing at my place of employment. I worked and lived in Chicago and he worked and lived in Miami. My employer at the time offerd me a same position with higher salary with same company in Houston. My significant other said if your considering relocating to Houston why not Miami. My reply "ok, I'll look for a positionin Miami for two weeks if I dont get hired you have to try Chicago for two eeks, whoever gets the job thats who relocates."

My first wek here I received four job offers, I went through a head hunter. I started making 66k in 2001, for Miami thats pretty good. I did not go with the highest paying offer but with what I believed to be the best company. Biggest mistake. Less than a year latter I was giving my three week notice. I had to answer to the President of the company I was the Director of Development Accounting/Finance. This man was the worst boss I have ever encountered!!! Not only that I found the others that were below me in rank of positionvery cut throat, lots of back stabbing and kissing behinds. I was use to a much more professional enviroment.

I remember after the last Friday at that job and thinking oh my God...I dont have a headache, my acid relux is gone and I have my life bacK!!!
That was a nice story- about you and your husband.

Now- the 2nd part- about the office environment-lol. I can so relate. Back-stabbing and hostile work environment- S Florida is so abundant with that!.

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness