Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 11:29 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,311 times

Advertisements

DH, age 57, had his first routine colonoscopy yesterday. It was clear (not even any polyps), the doctor actually said it all looked great, and there is no family history of the disease. I have always heard that the recommendations were for every ten years in those types of cases. The doctor said he would see him back in five years for his second routine one. Why? He is going to ask his family doctor for her opinion, but he probably won't see her for several months. Any ideas? Maybe he has a balloon payment due on his mortgage then is my thought!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:04 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
I know the age to have it done if you are healthy is 50. I just looked at a few sites and they said 5 years in between procedures. One said ten years if everything was ok during the first one.

I am thinking it may be the preference of the physician. If abnormal, they are saying to come back in 3 years.

Johns Hopkins: Colon Cancer on colonoscopy for colon cancer

I think it is great that your husband went in to have this done. I know it doesn't sound like the most exciting thing to have done, but I do feel it is a very important test.

I am 35 and I actually have to have it done this year. My dad had his first one when he was 73. He had colon cancer and I do believe had he gone several
years earlier we would not have lost him. It could have been the difference of just removing a couple of benign polyps or cancerous polyps.

I would go on the advice of the dr...

Old 01-21-2009, 07:11 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
From what I have read, they recommend your first colonoscopy at age 50; earlier, if you have a family history. If you have your first around 50, and all is well, 10 years until the next one. so maybe since your husband is a bit older, they are adjusting the schedule to get him more in-line with recommendations.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:38 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
I recently had a colonoscopy so I recently researched the procedure pretty thoroughly. Yes, I have also read that the common recommendation is 10 years if no polyps are found. However, when I was researching I did learn that sometimes polyps can be missed. So it's not an exact science here. Sometimes if the polyps are flat especially they can be missed apparently. Also, the degree of accuracy apparently can depend on the thoroughness of the "prep"-how "clean" the patient was able to get their colon. Recently it has also been discovered that polyps on the right side of the colon are often missed. So....given that variability, I think it does make sense to at least consider having a repeat colonoscopy at 5 year intervals even if the first one showed no polyps. Just my (non-medical) .02 If you question it, why not ask the dr why he is recommending sooner. It's a reasonable question, and he may have a reasonable answer for your dh to consider.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:53 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,534 times
You are right on Kaykay. There was some recent news about an area that is easily missed.....just can't bee seen. My doctor said 10 years, but I know others who have it done every 5.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
With no polyps found the re-exam should be in five years. That's the schedule I keep for MY own colonoscopies. If there are polyps it should be repeated every three years.

There are conflicting recommendations, but the last time I looked (I'm not a gastroenterologist) it's every five years, per the American College of Gastroenterology, for someone with a clean exam.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:09 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
With no polyps found the re-exam should be in five years. That's the schedule I keep for MY own colonoscopies. If there are polyps it should be repeated every three years.

There are conflicting recommendations, but the last time I looked (I'm not a gastroenterologist) it's every five years, per the American College of Gastroenterology, for someone with a clean exam.
This is accurate, per my gastro. I have to go three years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness