Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:23 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,498,631 times

Advertisements

Hang on a minute woof and I'll let you know.

Seriously though, I can tell you that when I had something lodged which blocked my breathing some years ago I went through several phases, (which I won't go into here), till the final phase where I resigned myself to the fact that this was it, and the peace I felt was disturbing, and unnatural. If that's what death is then I'm not bothered about it anymore. Fortunately, shortly after that the airway cleared, (perhaps my wife would say 'unfortunately'), however at least now I have an excuse for acting mental due to lack of oxygen to the brain for so long, lol. SuSu is right though, it would depend on how one goes, I had a mother in law who went with Motor Neuron and at the end she was finally taken out with morphine, so she wouldn't have known jack at the end, so I guess the final act of her play was peaceful too, pity about the 5 years leading up to it though. It obviously depends on how one 'goes'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 07:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
I know a woman who flat-lined after a heart attack and was brought back. I asked her once if she saw anything during that time and she said no.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:05 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,687,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I know this is a creepy question, but I think about death a lot lately, mainly because I'm getting older and I see more of it.

I've heard that the moment of death is actually very peaceful. I know that in a horrible accident, it can look violent and terrible, but I'm not sure that the person dying experiences it that way.

I know that when I've really gotten hurt myself in the past, the adrenaline and fear took care of the pain. I imagine that in most cases, dying is very peaceful. You slip into unconsciousness and float away.

I had a friend whose father was dying and in the hospital, his father looked up and said, "You know, it's not that bad...."

Any thoughts on this?
Ok death is hard on us left here. I did hold my dog, and she died while I did hold her. She was held, and real good until her last day. She was happy alert, but did not eat for one day. When she did die it was real peacefull, and I did not even know this. Today, I had a friend sick with cancer, she did die, and it was a hard death, breathing for air. therefore, I do not have an answer.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 PM

32,917 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Dying doesn't hurt. As a few others have said, sometimes the things on the way there do.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,441,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Today, I had a friend sick with cancer, she did die, and it was a hard death, breathing for air. therefore, I do not have an answer.
Maggie,

It may have been hard for you to watch, but not so hard for her. I know that shallow dying breath you talk about. But it doesn't mean your friend was in pain. Usually past the pain by that stage.

When the body starts to shut down, you stop eating and drinking, and that dehydration makes you feel less pain. ...

Old 01-23-2009, 09:12 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,200,764 times
As for the actual dying, no, that part probably isn't painful. In fact, death, in many instances, is surely a release from physical pain.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:21 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I think it would depend on how you died.
Having a safe fall on you from six floors up would probably be painless.
But being skinned alive or boiled in oil would hurt.
Drowning might also be unpleasant.
Actually that would hurt in a rather terrible way. It has to be at least 14 stories to result in death (granted you dont land on your head) and you dont die from the impact. You die from laying there smashed to bits bleeding to death internally. Bleeding to death internally is very painful. Also those bone shards sticking in your nerves would probably suck before you went into shock.They do say that drowning is one of the most terrible/painful ways to die.

I think death doesn't hurt a bit. I see how dying people are very confused and I have to think the nerves are not quite on it as the brain isn't atm of their fading. I think diseased states of life create more pain than death.

Death breath does bother me to watch. I stayed with someone who was doing that ..a liver cancer person. Thier back was arched up with pain and the jaw clenched even though they were not awake yet the eyes were open and semi-milky. They had done double rounds of trying to get rid of it from chemo but ended up having kidney failure (very painful way to live/die). But that was his last few hours. The hour right before his breaths became whispers until the final rattle and he just look like "Ahhhhh. Thank GOD im done with that crap" as the light faded from the eye.

I personally feel that any pain at any stage in life is just the feeling of change, growth and transition. And as soon as you accept...the pain melts away. I think death is much the same.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:00 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,441,886 times
Nice description, Pitt. Thanks for that.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:07 PM

32,917 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Nice description, Pitt. Thanks for that.
Quite a picture, huh? LOL

Actually, bleeding to death from internal injuries doesn't have to hurt. I fell off of a roof a long time ago. Somebody put a blanket on me, they finally called an ambulance, took forever because we were out in the country. People were moving around, talking, getting all excited. My friend came to sit by me on the ground and reassure me that everything was going to be OK, told me I'd be going to the hospital. It seems that I didn't want to go. Weeks later she told me that I snuggled up in the blanket, yawned and said, "That's alright, just leave me here to die". I was in shock, bleeding to death from internal injuries, and all I wanted to do was to be left alone to take a nice nap. Maybe that's why they call it the big sleep. I'd also banged my head. Dammit, nobody would let me take that nap.

I was with my father and my MIL when they died. Both events were pretty quiet. They were alive...and then they weren't.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 PM

702 posts, read 2,294,966 times
Interesting topic. I associate fainting/passing out with dying a peaceful death. Around 2 years ago I was on an airplane and suddenly felt terribly sick. I managed to make it to the lavatory when that sick feeling made its way from my stomach up to my head in the span of maybe 5 seconds. I truly thought I was dying and there was a brief moment of panic, then I just layed down as everything faded to black. Next thing I know, someone was kicking my feet as I layed in the airplane lavatory...lovely. I had a similar experience when I attempted suicide with an overdose of pills many years ago...just fading into darkness, a brief moment of panic, then a feeling of "Oh, F it, I'm outta here."

But dying in a violent manner must be totally different. Drowning, burning, or suffocating cannot be pleasant. A struggle until the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness