U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:10 AM

5,503 posts, read 13,203,374 times
Default Does is hurt to die?

I know this is a creepy question, but I think about death a lot lately, mainly because I'm getting older and I see more of it.

I've heard that the moment of death is actually very peaceful. I know that in a horrible accident, it can look violent and terrible, but I'm not sure that the person dying experiences it that way.

I know that when I've really gotten hurt myself in the past, the adrenaline and fear took care of the pain. I imagine that in most cases, dying is very peaceful. You slip into unconsciousness and float away.

I had a friend whose father was dying and in the hospital, his father looked up and said, "You know, it's not that bad...."

Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 11:01 AM

3,887 posts, read 7,984,587 times
I think it would depend on how you died.
Having a safe fall on you from six floors up would probably be painless.
But being skinned alive or boiled in oil would hurt.
Drowning might also be unpleasant.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 AM

642 posts, read 616,169 times
would have to agree with fat freddy.. tho not as graphic, would depend on how you are dying, if lets say you just slipped away in the middle of the night, i dont think it would hurt a bit, but if you were dying more from a more painful cause, i think it would be kind of agonizing

Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,036,341 times
I think it depends all on how you die ... If you are mentally prepped, and it's in a way where you're sick and are receiving medication, maybe not so much as uncomfortable.

If those surivors from the Hudson River Plane crash had all gone into the water, they may have all died from hypothermia and I hear that's a quick, painless death-

But, if you are taken hostage, tied up and eatten by rats in a NYC subway tunnel, or attacked and brutally tortured for hours before finally being put out of your misery, than maybe, yes.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:30 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,409,923 times
Truth is how would anyone know. We can all speculate but anyone that has died has never come back to tell us. Some ppl remain in agony for months before they finally pass. Once your physical body dies your brain is still active for a bit. The energy that remains in us then goes somewhere.....do we become just restless souls, does the energy just dissapate? Fascinating stuff but I hope all of us have many years before we confront our mortality.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:19 PM

5,503 posts, read 13,203,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Truth is how would anyone know.
We know because many of us have watched a person die -- usually a loved one by sitting by their bedside. I've often heard the ending described as very peaceful.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:32 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,409,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
We know because many of us have watched a person die -- usually a loved one by sitting by their bedside. I've often heard the ending described as very peaceful.

Thats not always the case though. Death can't be timed except under certain circumstances. PPL who die can't come back and tell us what death is like.

The few times I have seen someone or something die the only thing I notice is the life leave their eyes. To me its creepie.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:48 PM

8,555 posts, read 14,819,764 times
When my grandfather died he had kidney failure which caused his lungs to fill with fluid, he basically suffocated to death. I will never forget the look of terror on his face in those last moments, he knew what was happening. It was very painful for me to watch and I still sometimes cry when I think back about it.

On the other hand, my step grandfather died from cancer, he was on so much morphine I don't really think it affected him too much.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:50 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,329,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I know this is a creepy question, but I think about death a lot lately, mainly because I'm getting older and I see more of it.

I've heard that the moment of death is actually very peaceful. I know that in a horrible accident, it can look violent and terrible, but I'm not sure that the person dying experiences it that way.

I know that when I've really gotten hurt myself in the past, the adrenaline and fear took care of the pain. I imagine that in most cases, dying is very peaceful. You slip into unconsciousness and float away.

I had a friend whose father was dying and in the hospital, his father looked up and said, "You know, it's not that bad...."

Any thoughts on this?
Depends on HOW you die.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:18 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,135,950 times
Twice in my life, I have laid down for a rest and found myself floating near the ceiling. Admittedly, it was when I was younger, but I still remember it. For this reason I firmly believe that there IS some other part of us that lives on. I dont think it was a hallucination as I was in no way ill or sick (mentally or physically) so I think it was a valid experience and one that I cannot explain - other than to compare it to the experience others have had as Out Of Body Experiences.

A lot of it all comes down to belief, however, there HAVE been thousands of people who have died on the operating theatres (and elsewhere) been brought back again. They report similar experiences so I personally dont believe that it is just the physical brain playing funny tricks with our minds. Not least because all these people have been 'dead' in many different ways before they have been revived. If you know any nurses or doctors who work in this kind of environment, ask them when they are alone and no-one else is listening. You might be surprised how often it happens and they get to hear of it from the patients who have 'died'.

After saying all that, I think the body may feel a certain amount of pain, but if you are going to die then I think you are taken out and feel no more pain. There is nothing wrong with thinking about death, it is the taboo of death that keeps us from facing a lot of fears in our westernised society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness