U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 08:04 PM

10,711 posts, read 19,040,812 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any terrible dreams? I have always dreamed in colors, people I don't know, etc. - but lately I've been having horrible dreams about loved ones and they are terrible! I wake up and don't want to go back to sleep because that is on my mind and I don't want to continue that. It's frightening to me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 08:31 PM

22,690 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Yeah, I go through periods of time like that. Sometimes I don't remember dreams for months. Other times the dreams are short, weird. Funny you should bring this up now. I've recently had several dreams in gray tones, like an old black/white movie and I know that I have to save my son from something terrible that's going to happen. I find myself in an unfamiliar area, like a harbor and there's fog, it's nighttime. I sneak around desperately looking for my son so that I can save him from some unseen, unknown threat. At some point, the dream just ends.

For me, it's probably post traumatic holiday stress disorder, having a bit of a cold, not enough sunshine....

Old 01-24-2009, 08:54 AM

10,711 posts, read 19,040,812 times
I did have a bad cold when I had the dreams - first cold in I couldn't say how many years. Maybe not getting a restful sleep because of that cold had something to do with it. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:01 PM

22 posts, read 39,090 times
I always have terrible dreams when I sleep on my left side pressing the heart. Getting too hot during the night also gives me bad dreams.
Try to turn temperature down during the night and don't use heavy comforters.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:51 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,404,322 times
Flamingo, did you have a fever with your cold? The only time I ever have bad dreams or in black and white is when I have a fever.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,683 times
Hi
I'm having such dreams now as I think I have a bug/illness, fever as I understand it often brings on disturbing dreams, I also have unpleasant dreams at times of changes in my life, simple things like considering changing my car will bring dreams about buying another car which turns out to be rubbish and regretting selling my existing car, and when I wake up the relief of realising I haven't actually change the car is wonderful, I see dreams as a warning sometimes, the subconscious making us aware of unseen consequences. I'm photographer and about to change my camera setup for another make, and guess what, just had a dream/nightmare about being at a job with the new gear and nothing working, instead of digital it suddenly turned into a film camera which then turned into some weird bit of useless junk and all the time the wedding party were standing around waiting for me to sort it out.....and that is why I just had a search on the net re bad dreams, as to colour or black and white I'm never aware which my dreams are in. I don't expect any of this woffle has helped you but it may have helped me typing it (-:

Sleep Well, Regards Trevor

Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,569,235 times
illnesses are usually what bring on bad night reactions... myself i dont get nightmares (least i dont think so, i usually dont remember dreams when im sick like that) but ill get orally violent

couple of examples, one night (tho at the time i didnt feel like i was sick) i had woken up, sat straight up in bed, opened my eyes and just yelled out the f bomb at the top of my lungs, twice in the same night, second time i got up and went to my computer cuz i couldnt go back to sleep, ended up running for the garbage can to vomit shortly after

another time i had a real nasty flu, and i was laying on my back and was snoring i guess rather loudly, my wife tried to ask me to roll over because my snoring was waking her up, my reaction to that (tho i dont remember doing it, dont even remember waking up at all) was sitting straight up, looking at her, and saying "f you" before crashing back on the bed

shes also told me stories of other times when ive swore loudly in my sleep when ive had something nasty running thru my system, so yeah, when youre sick your brain works in weird ways

Old 12-14-2010, 11:25 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,124,525 times
I have terrible, stressful nightmares every night. End of the world, nuclear blast, harm to family, fighting demons, recurring school failures, killing others, dying. Color dreams, nearly all black (not gray even) dreams, out of body dreams (I doubt I'm actually having an OOB experience), dreams with physical pain/severe vibrations, sleep paralysis, smells/sounds/tastes galore. Some are like complete movies with subplots and surprise endings. The longer I sleep, the more vivid the dreams. This may explain why some of you are having more vivid dreams while sick - because you are already loaded up on REM sleep.

I'm used to them now so I laugh them away, and write them down for future reference in case I decide to write a screenplay someday.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:24 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,518,037 times
I have very hallucinogenic-type dreams that border on nightmares most of the time. (Or maybe they ARE nightmares and just don't realize it.) They're very vivid in colors, and I swear that my brain creates "strangers" in my dreams, people I don't know. But faces often change to someone or something else, and the dreams make absolutely no sense. They're so senseless that I never had the interest to have them analyzed.

But I never remember them. Within moments of getting up the dreams are zapped 'n' gone ~ although I can feel the effects of a particularly bad night of dreaming; I really do believe that our bodies get stressed from nightmares, and that the grogginess I feel deprives me of good restoration. But I've dealt with this issue my whole entire life. I just accept it. At least I do sleep, often like the dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness