U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:31 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,765,737 times

Advertisements

I had my first bone density test done when I turned 50, which was 2 years ago. I was diagnosed with osteopenia in one hip and in my spine. That's when I stepped up my exercise program to include weight training at the gym and I got more diligent about taking my calcium supplements. I had my 2nd test last week and the dr. just called to tell me that my spine has improved, and I'm not at the level of osteopenia there, and my right hip stayed the same, but the left hip went from a 0.8 reading to a 1.3, so that is now in the osteopenia range.

Is anyone else in that situation? What do you do for it?

I've been googling stuff and have decided I have to get more serious about cutting down on my caffeine (maybe I can sneak decaf past hubby in the mornings) and stopping the diet pepsi thing. Sorry, but I'll still have an occasional cocktail. The dr. told me to start the calcium 3 times/day, instead of 2.

I don't want to be hobbling around in a walker when I'm 60. I have too many things to do yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 01:33 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,590,140 times
I can't believe I'd never heard of osteopenia until just now and I worked in medical for 25+ years! Maybe you're lucky that the situation was caught before it worsened. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in my hips when I was maybe 52-53 (I'm 59 now). So I've been on Fosamax which didn't help at all, went to Actonel which stabilized and helped some and now I'm on Boniva and will have another DEXA the end of May. Thankfully it is not in my spine.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Are you taking Vitamin D along with the Calcium? I don't know that medication is indicated at your stage, but you may want to discuss that with your doctor.

At any rate, I doubt you'll be in a walker by 60!

Old 03-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,573,517 times
I've never had a bone density and I'm 55. My doctor (PCP or Gyn) give me the order every time but I just never have followed-thru.
Are there any signs or symptoms that would be red flags that you should go get one? Or is it one of those things you "should" have when you get to a certain age?
I have my annual mammo, I did do a colonoscopy 3 yrs ago, I go to the Gyn every year, but other than that....I'm not sure I believe that it's mandatory to have every test in creation just because of the age thing... Family history of or symptoms or "silent" diseases, that's different.
I do think maybe I should have the bone density because my knees take longer to straighten out when I kneel down.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I've never had a bone density and I'm 55. My doctor (PCP or Gyn) give me the order every time but I just never have followed-thru.
Are there any signs or symptoms that would be red flags that you should go get one? Or is it one of those things you "should" have when you get to a certain age?
I have my annual mammo, I did do a colonoscopy 3 yrs ago, I go to the Gyn every year, but other than that....I'm not sure I believe that it's mandatory to have every test in creation just because of the age thing... Family history of or symptoms or "silent" diseases, that's different.
I do think maybe I should have the bone density because my knees take longer to straighten out when I kneel down.
I would say get one done. I didn't know I had any problem either but at 50+ you should probably have one done. (I've seen some websites that say 65! By then it may have already done a lot of damage.) No symptoms unless it has really progressed. Generally white or Asian small females are more prone to osteoporosis.

Hopefully the meds will prevent further destruction and complications (fractures of the spine/hip, "dowager's hump",etc.).

Some good information on osteoporosis here: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/osteoporosis/DS00128

Old 03-15-2007, 02:49 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,765,737 times
I'm glad I had it done. Maybe the steps I'm taking will help. My spine did improve. I do have family history of osteoporosis, I'm fairly small, white, and in perimenopause, altho I do take hormones. Yes, my calcium has Vit. D with it, and I'm taking that 3 x/day now. SOmeone said I should also be taking magnesium? DOes that make sense? And does it matter what the calcium is made of? The one I'm taking is oyster shell based, if I remember right. Thanks for your inpute, FLTN Nana.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:54 PM

3,574 posts, read 12,839,778 times
Quote:
Or is it one of those things you "should" have when you get to a certain age? .......
Yes, it is one of those "things" Unfortunately, the first hint one may have is often a fractured hip!

Old 03-15-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Yes, it is one of those "things" Unfortunately, the first hint one may have is often a fractured hip!
LOLLLL.... There are so many "things" as we get older! Not including all the ones I end up forgetting about.
OK... I'll get one done. It's easy enough right?? I do not believe in the "no pain no gain" theory either.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
LOLLLL.... There are so many "things" as we get older! Not including all the ones I end up forgetting about.
OK... I'll get one done. It's easy enough right?? I do not believe in the "no pain no gain" theory either.

It's a whale of a lot easier than your GYN checkup! Just lie there and don't move.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
It's a whale of a lot easier than your GYN checkup! Just lie there and don't move.
hahahahaha....
Don't move???
Isn't that when every part of your body starts to itch????

Old 03-16-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
hahahahaha....
Don't move???
Isn't that when every part of your body starts to itch????
But, of course! Fortunately it doesn't take long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness