U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 AM

6,995 posts, read 12,903,157 times

Advertisements

America's Best or Lenscrafters?
Do you have a better place to recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 10:04 PM

256 posts, read 245,771 times
I found Pearl Vision to have the best selection at the lowest prices. I found a pair I liked and they're comfortable and sturdy.

I also got a pair at Target. I really liked the selection of frames but they seem flimsy, they're not that comfortable, and I've had to take them in twice in about 6 weeks for random scratches. No reason for the scratches, I keep them in their case when not wearing them, and only use that special cleaning cloth on them.

So I would recommend Pearl Vision.

I'm not looking forward to the point where I'll have to wear glasses full time. What a pain.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,814,676 times
I used to use Sears till they started getting the prescription wrong. I've been using Lenscrafters for four years and had not problems.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:07 PM

303 posts, read 1,248,970 times
I've used Costco, Walmart, and Lenscrafters. Walmart has been surprisingly good for the low price, and seems to have sales often. Definitely shop around and see what frames you like and what kind of deal you can get. If you just walk into a store not having a sale you can easily spend over $200 on glasses...eek.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 PM

5,559 posts, read 8,873,781 times
I went to America's Best last August and had a very good experience. I spent just under $300 on 2 pairs of glasses and an exam (I probably could have spend less, but got suckered into taking that extra test). I love one of my pair of glasses, the other is nice looking but just a tiny bit flimsy, but that's mainly b/c I had to go w/ a either a plastic pair or a metal/plastic combo b/c I'm apparently allergic to metal glasses (my old glasses were metal and left visible dark marks on my face). plus I'm super picky and it took me almost 2 hours to find another pair I liked (the person who helped me out had the patience of an angel to put up w/ my second guessing!). pretty satisfied overall (though I admittedly have no other place to compare it to), may go back to check out contacts

Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 AM

4,508 posts, read 5,406,517 times
We get our eye exams locally but we've been going to ZenniOptical.com for the glasses. There are several on-line sites but we haven't been able to beat the prices at Zenni. It may take some getting used to the idea of ordering eyeglasses on-line but starting at $8 bucks a pair you aren't risking much.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:44 AM

839 posts, read 1,945,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
We get our eye exams locally but we've been going to ZenniOptical.com for the glasses. There are several on-line sites but we haven't been able to beat the prices at Zenni. It may take some getting used to the idea of ordering eyeglasses on-line but starting at $8 bucks a pair you aren't risking much.
Are you happy with the quality, fit, etc.? I'm considering ordering from them next time I need glasses. My last pair cost over $600 locally--high index lenses, progressives, Transitions, etc.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 AM

4,508 posts, read 5,406,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Are you happy with the quality, fit, etc.? I'm considering ordering from them next time I need glasses. My last pair cost over $600 locally--high index lenses, progressives, Transitions, etc.
Yes to all. Several in our family have Zenni glasses and we've been pleased so far. The eye doc had a fit (because we didn't spend hundreds of $$ in his shop) but the Rx was spot on. DH and I have always worn glasses so getting a suitable style and size wasn't too hard. The kids had to try on glasses IRL and then compare styles and sizes on-line so it was a bit riskier since it was their first pair. We traced the lens shapes they liked (with the stores permission) and then found similar on the site. If you want more info you can dm me and I'd be happy to answer any more of your questions.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:56 AM

7,691 posts, read 9,091,290 times
I saw this thread and was going to recommend Zenni Optical, but I see somebody has already done so. My lenses require the High Index because of my horrid vision - which drives up the cost of my lenses. The last pair of glasses I bought in an actual store was at Lens Crafters:

Frames from the Kid's Department - $69.95 (Free with insurance)
High Index lenses with scratch resistance and anti-reflective coatings- $325 (Insurance paid $100)
Plus the exam! Insurance paid for it all except for the contact "fitting fee" that doctors charge the consumers who have vision insurance, I found out.

Through Zenni, I can get cute frames with the lenses I need for under $100 using no insurance. I had my glasses exam with my contact exam ($60 total without insurance). I dropped my vision insurance after finding Zenni.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:02 AM

709 posts, read 709,461 times
honestly walmart has surprisingly really good frames, and depending on how bad your vision you might be able to get away with an hour wait for them, i had a pair from walmart that i used for over 3 years, and that was with my brothers stepping on them, and one of my friends who wieghed over 300 pounds at the time had sat on them accidentally once... bent them back and they were fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness