U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: do you know your blood type?
YES 124 81.05%
NO 29 18.95%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:36 AM

358 posts, read 715,216 times
Exclamation IMO, your blood type should be part of your medical file.

O+
My parents made sure they found out soon after I was born. Just a pin prick in my big toe for a tiny drop.

In fact, I was surprised that my son's doctor did not deem it important when I asked that i'd like to find his blood type! He said "What for?". Ummmm.... do I really need to explain to a doc what for!!! Sigh! they refused to write up a test for it. Moreover, i found out later that even had he written up the test, my insurance would not have covered it. I don't understand why knowing your blood type is not important... just don't get it! Should it not be part of your medical file? What if you had some really rare type? What then?

Anyway, I finally found out though. while on holiday at a developing nation, I just walked into a lab and they were happy to do the test for my son. Just a tiny prick on his thumb. No need for doc orders either for basic tests. My cost ~2 USD! I know! That's all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 12:17 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,507,863 times
O negative here with the Rh thing. Three of those horrible shots. Man it felt like they shot lead balls in my behind. LOL Hubby I believe is B+. Whatever he is I know its positive due to the Rhogam shot thing.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:31 PM

12,347 posts, read 14,147,706 times
I have known since high school many eons ago that I am B+..My mom was a surgical tech and took all of us kids to the lab one day for typing and ID cards..

Old 02-10-2009, 01:13 PM

2,504 posts, read 5,841,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttrBug View Post
O+
My parents made sure they found out soon after I was born. Just a pin prick in my big toe for a tiny drop.

In fact, I was surprised that my son's doctor did not deem it important when I asked that i'd like to find his blood type! He said "What for?". Ummmm.... do I really need to explain to a doc what for!!! Sigh! they refused to write up a test for it. Moreover, i found out later that even had he written up the test, my insurance would not have covered it. I don't understand why knowing your blood type is not important... just don't get it! Should it not be part of your medical file? What if you had some really rare type? What then?

Anyway, I finally found out though. while on holiday at a developing nation, I just walked into a lab and they were happy to do the test for my son. Just a tiny prick on his thumb. No need for doc orders either for basic tests. My cost ~2 USD! I know! That's all!
I'll play...

Why DO you need to know your blood type??

Even if you happen to have a "rare" blood type ( rare being relative since there are only 8 possible combinations of ABO and Rh) what help will it be in an emergency if you "know" your blood type??

Even if you have your ABO type tattooed on your forehead, noone is going to take your word for it in an emergency...

If you are in an accident or need surgery you will have a type and screen performed EVERY TIME...

If you need blood or blood products, your blood will be cross matched EVERY TIME against the product to be given.

Eons ago I worked on the bench in hospital blood banks, it didn't save me any time to know what type some one was.....I was still going to do the whole antigen panel and determine the ABO type and Rh EVERY TIME.

It may be nice to know your blood type but the doctor you are condemning for saying "What for?" was speaking truth....

Old 02-11-2009, 07:16 AM

358 posts, read 715,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I'll play...

Why DO you need to know your blood type??

Even if you happen to have a "rare" blood type ( rare being relative since there are only 8 possible combinations of ABO and Rh) what help will it be in an emergency if you "know" your blood type??

Even if you have your ABO type tattooed on your forehead, noone is going to take your word for it in an emergency...

If you are in an accident or need surgery you will have a type and screen performed EVERY TIME...

If you need blood or blood products, your blood will be cross matched EVERY TIME against the product to be given.

Eons ago I worked on the bench in hospital blood banks, it didn't save me any time to know what type some one was.....I was still going to do the whole antigen panel and determine the ABO type and Rh EVERY TIME.

It may be nice to know your blood type but the doctor you are condemning for saying "What for?" was speaking truth....
Oh!
See, I thought if your type was on your medical record, it would save time, (and resources), and there would be no need to check it every time it's required. But if that is what they do, as you state from first hand experience, then I suppose it's no real use. If the good doc had explained as much to me, I would have understood that the way the medical system works, it's no real use.

But, lets say, it was on your record, why would they still check? They seem to accept everything else on your record without question. And it's not like your blood type changes. As far as I know. Or does it?

Old 02-13-2009, 05:13 PM

805 posts, read 1,702,607 times
I am O negative and my daughter is as well.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 17,197,737 times
I definitely know my blood type. I donate blood as often as I can. Red Cross actually calls me to donate because there is something special about my blood that they use for premature babies.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:06 PM

2,504 posts, read 5,841,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I definitely know my blood type. I donate blood as often as I can. Red Cross actually calls me to donate because there is something special about my blood that they use for premature babies.
You are probably CMV negative....

Good for you for donating often

Old 02-14-2009, 12:39 PM

12,980 posts, read 17,197,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You are probably CMV negative....

Good for you for donating often
Yep. B+ CMV negative.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:58 PM

30 posts, read 62,310 times
B plus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness