U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:32 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,970,447 times

Advertisements

I was just diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis yesterday. I started meds (the same ones I was on a few years back for Wegener's, another autoimmunie disease). Any help or advice or just sharing & support from others with RA would be helpful! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 PM

2,947 posts, read 1,615,667 times
No help or advice, sorry, BUT I go to the Rhumatologist (sp?) on Feb. 10 to find out whats goin on with me. A friend told me to try honey and cinnamon everyday, claims it's healed him up in more than one health area.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:58 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,226,345 times
They have so many new medications for RA now---hopefully one of them will delay/help your symptoms! Good luck!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:27 PM

438 posts, read 1,679,641 times
I have no advice to offer but my dad has RA and I just wanted to say good luck and I hope you find meds that work for you.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:08 PM

Thanks to all of you for the good wishes. Sapphire-rose, you'll have good luck I know at your dr. appt. on the 10th, because that's my birthday! I can't get into my rheumatologist until March 7 but at least my dr. here knows how to treat RA until I can see the dr. I've been seeing for years for my other autoimmune disorder.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
Thanks to all of you for the good wishes. Sapphire-rose, you'll have good luck I know at your dr. appt. on the 10th, because that's my birthday! I can't get into my rheumatologist until March 7 but at least my dr. here knows how to treat RA until I can see the dr. I've been seeing for years for my other autoimmune disorder.
Oh I wish you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! LOL You just gave me something to think about while I sit and wait Tuesday. I'll be thinking of you and hopeing you have a super great day.

I really do not know what to expect? I've been in a lot of pain for well over a year and my primary seems not to have even a clue. Right now, I can barely walk upright. Stairs are a challenge. Thinking about cutting my hair, because I cannot brush it with the intense pain in my hands,
Who would have ever guessed that a door knob cannot be grasped and turned? I never did. I do not have a dishwasher but looks like I'll need one. Even dishes are a painful experience.

Is there a thread for symptoms shareing? If this is R A I would not wish it on anyone.

Please keep us posted how youare doing and I wish you the very best.

HUGS

Old 02-06-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-rose View Post
Oh I wish you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! LOL You just gave me something to think about while I sit and wait Tuesday. I'll be thinking of you and hopeing you have a super great day.

I really do not know what to expect? I've been in a lot of pain for well over a year and my primary seems not to have even a clue. Right now, I can barely walk upright. Stairs are a challenge. Thinking about cutting my hair, because I cannot brush it with the intense pain in my hands,
Who would have ever guessed that a door knob cannot be grasped and turned? I never did. I do not have a dishwasher but looks like I'll need one. Even dishes are a painful experience.

Is there a thread for symptoms shareing? If this is R A I would not wish it on anyone.

Please keep us posted how youare doing and I wish you the very best.

HUGS
Wow, I really feel for you. You must be having some intense pain for everything to be so hard on you, you poor thing! Do you mind if I ask your age? Not that it matters! I sure hope the rheumatologist can get to the bottom of things for you. What I fear is not being able to do things I love, like crocheting, cross stitching, even typing for work & pleasure. So I hope my meds help and keep things in check. I'll be thinking of you on my birthday, too!!!!

Old 02-07-2009, 06:44 AM

GEORGIAINMT: I'm 52, The thing I'm worried about is my moms mother had A L S (Lou Gerigs disease it got nick named because the baseball star had it) But I remember seeing how she declined and what my grandfather had to do to help her. She passed away at 54 when I was 8. Truthfully I know nothing about MS, RA, OA, Fibromyalgia...etc. So not knowing what is going on and being in this constant pain which seems to increase daily has me a bit scared. Already had an MRI/MRA which came back normal. Just of the head though.
I feel totally useless because I can barely accomplish house work. Have to askDH to open jars, bottles, pull tabs etc.. This week it is now; have to find a way to open the door. I am predominantly left handed and the left hand is worse than the right, but the right seems to be catching up fast. Point is that whatever it is seems to be progressing rapidly.

My left hand is very swollen, cannot see the knuckle lines of the fingers. It eases as the day goes on, but not the pain. My primary never even checked, you know x-rays or anything, same with knees. (this has been coming on for at least 3 years. Haven't worked in that long and no longer can wear my wedding ring or engagement ring.

May I please ask what kind of tests are done to determine RA ?

Well with this long in depth post as you can see I'm about desperate to get answers yet scared at the same time.

Hope you have good results with your meds, and that they releive the pain without the side effects.
My hobbie is baking. I cannot stir thick batters, or a heavy stew. I hate to have to resort to instant anything. I gave my bread machine away several years back. I prefer to do all the kneading all the old fasined way. Made some sour dough bread 3 days ago, it hurt like a son of a gun. So far my way of typing is not a problem, but to have to write anything is a big one. The paper work from the docs office is 5 pages front and back, so it has taken me just over a week to get it filled out.
Sorry to keep going on and o, I guess I hope you or someone will be able to tell me that this is what was going on for them as well and the meds are a big help. I'm grasping for some hope.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:03 AM

13,136 posts, read 39,162,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-rose View Post
GEORGIAINMT: I'm 52, The thing I'm worried about is my moms mother had A L S (Lou Gerigs disease it got nick named because the baseball star had it) But I remember seeing how she declined and what my grandfather had to do to help her. She passed away at 54 when I was 8. Truthfully I know nothing about MS, RA, OA, Fibromyalgia...etc. So not knowing what is going on and being in this constant pain which seems to increase daily has me a bit scared. Already had an MRI/MRA which came back normal. Just of the head though.
I feel totally useless because I can barely accomplish house work. Have to askDH to open jars, bottles, pull tabs etc.. This week it is now; have to find a way to open the door. I am predominantly left handed and the left hand is worse than the right, but the right seems to be catching up fast. Point is that whatever it is seems to be progressing rapidly.

My left hand is very swollen, cannot see the knuckle lines of the fingers. It eases as the day goes on, but not the pain. My primary never even checked, you know x-rays or anything, same with knees. (this has been coming on for at least 3 years. Haven't worked in that long and no longer can wear my wedding ring or engagement ring.

May I please ask what kind of tests are done to determine RA ?

Well with this long in depth post as you can see I'm about desperate to get answers yet scared at the same time.

Hope you have good results with your meds, and that they releive the pain without the side effects.
My hobbie is baking. I cannot stir thick batters, or a heavy stew. I hate to have to resort to instant anything. I gave my bread machine away several years back. I prefer to do all the kneading all the old fasined way. Made some sour dough bread 3 days ago, it hurt like a son of a gun. So far my way of typing is not a problem, but to have to write anything is a big one. The paper work from the docs office is 5 pages front and back, so it has taken me just over a week to get it filled out.
Sorry to keep going on and o, I guess I hope you or someone will be able to tell me that this is what was going on for them as well and the meds are a big help. I'm grasping for some hope.

Sapphire-Rose....you definately have some inflammatory issues with your swollen hands and pain all over. Are your eyes swollen at all?

Besides Fibromyalgia look into RSD or Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy also. After you've confered with your physician and go thru a battery of tests you might want to check for food intolerances or food allergies as this could be a possibility but always start with your physician and go from there.

For me a health nut most of my life and no health issues, grains do a number on me as my lower back aches really bad like a knife in it and i'll get slight puffyness around my eyes and my intestines burn along with acid reflux and my fingers cramp up bad when i eat ANY type of grains (oats, wheat, rye etc) but that's just me as many people can have different food allergies that can cause these odd symptoms in people.

So if i want to get super sick....all i need to do is eat grains.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Sapphire-Rose....you definately have some inflammatory issues with your swollen hands and pain all over. Are your eyes swollen at all?

Besides Fibromyalgia look into RSD or Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy also. After you've confered with your physician and go thru a battery of tests you might want to check for food intolerances or food allergies as this could be a possibility but always start with your physician and go from there.

For me a health nut most of my life and no health issues, grains do a number on me as my lower back aches really bad like a knife in it and i'll get slight puffyness around my eyes and my intestines burn along with acid reflux and my fingers cramp up bad when i eat ANY type of grains (oats, wheat, rye etc) but that's just me as many people can have different food allergies that can cause these odd symptoms in people.

So if i want to get super sick....all i need to do is eat grains.
THANK YOU 6 FOOT 3 For your input and advice.
Doc mentioned 2 of the blood workups that one was only one point over and he doesn't understand why the second is way over for the inflamatory. As to the eyes, had a visit to the neuro opthamolagist a week and a half ago. Eyes were fine.
Sorry to hear about the grains issue. That has got to be disappointing. That kind of pain and in so many areas sounds aweful.
Best of luck to you in avoiding the grains and pain that comes with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness